World Cup 2016

MODO Hockey

Johnny hockey is a RFA as is risto. Johnny for risto? though our d would be very weak. Johnny and eichel would look great together and are best of friends - were in Nantucket together with Gronk Mem Day weekend. One can dream, but do this and trade for shattenkirk

Risto goes nowhere for any forward not named McDavid for me Edited by WildCard

Johnny hockey is a RFA as is risto. Johnny for risto? though our d would be very weak. Johnny and eichel would look great together and are best of friends - were in Nantucket together with Gronk Mem Day weekend. One can dream, but do this and trade for shattenkirk

As fun as it would be, I have no idea how we could have even a sliver of hope of icing a Cup caliber blue line without Risto in the fold. 

Another wicked stretch pass from Eichel to Gaudreau.

I think as a rookie he was usually thinking offence, even when he's back checking.

That's why he tended to find a seam where he can move to react to a turnover.

I thought tonight he was playing like an NHL centre and concentrating on clogging the zone and thwarting the rush.

It's not lack of hustle, it's just focus and maturity.

Edited by dudacek

I don't think I've ever seen a mix of speed, skill, and hands like that before. Random thoughts:

I don't ever want to give a goalie more than 4 or 5 million dollars per season. Ever. Rinne has fallen so far, and the guy on the other end with an ELC won a cup and looks phenomenal. 

This is not a shot at Eichel: Matthews is closer to McDavid than anyone on this site and outside of Toronto would ever want to admit, IMO. I'm stunned by his hands, positioning, IQ, passing, defense at his age. He looks like Malkin out there, with Kopitar's head. I'm pissed that Toronto gets him. The only thing it seems like he has to learn is how to pace himself, he's always the best player for the first period and a half and then fades a bit. Team USA has a great future.

Seeing the enthusiasm of the kids on the bench, and the plays they make on the ice, this league is in great hands if you forget about the suits for a bit. So charismatic and unbelievably skilled. 

If McDavid came into the league in 2005 he would have outscored Ovi and Crosby. If McDavid learns how to finish those rushes he creates, and develops his shot, I think he can hit a tier above the one Crosby sits, and I have a very high opinion of Crosby, who is the best hockey player I've ever seen, by far. McD is the best skater I've ever seen, by far. 

Didn't watch Ristolainen after the first, because I didn't want flashbacks of 2014-15. I'm sure he did all that he could with the trash he had. Not worried about his play, or paying him. Get it done.

And Jack; THIS game is one of the best I've ever seen him play. He's grown this summer, and will be a different player from the one we saw last year. His burst is there, but it's more controlled, and it seems like he has a better handle on just how fast to go to keep optimal distance between him and the defensemen in front of him. He was a true center tonight. Exactly where he needed to be, timing his loops to start rushes and to get into lanes better than he ever has, dishing the puck and rushing it as needed, always picking the right option. A few tremendous stretch passes, one when he was covering a Gostisbehere pinch, both sent Gaudreau in for chances. It's so encouraging to get our franchise player, but watching him and seeing that he's grown is just as fun. He's really ours, he's really getting better, and he's creating plays that superstars like Gaudreau and McDavid are benefiting from, not just getting carried along for the ride. 

Man oh man October needs to get here.

Also, I'd love to see video of other random teams in the tournament (particularly Canada) watching this game and reacting to it in real time.

Awesome game, tons of fun being there. I'll post some thoughts and pics tomorrow.

One thing that was cool: tons of Eichel/Sabres fans up here. My dad and I got lots of "Go Sabres" for our gear. Obviously it was a Matthews/McDavid lovefest as expexted, but there was lots of love to go around for Jack too.

I thought Risto was a beast in the first. I love how he wants to be a difference maker.

Yes, he was on for the first two goals, but he also saved one, stopped multiple puck carriers in their tracks (including a great stand-up on a McKinnon rush), made guys pay in front of the net QBed the point and carried the puck.

He was awfully quiet after that though. Disappeared as the team got overwhelmed. Flashbacks to the tank.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.