Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

With apologies to those who think it's a big deal, to me this is yet another controversy nobody would care about if the team was winning.

No need to apologize to me, even if I am allowing myself to get exercised about it.

Of course, if the team were winning, they'd likely have people in charge who don't pull dumb sh1t like this.

Bills have a press release out in which Whaley attempts to walk back his comments about how human beings aren't supposed to play football.

He mispoke, nothing to see here

All he said was the truth.  Not sure why people are reacting to it.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that people should not put their faces in front of others throwing punches with malice, or, people should not be playing tackle football with armor on.  The fact that they do is why we watch.

All he said was the truth. Not sure why people are reacting to it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that people should not put their faces in front of others throwing punches with malice, or, people should not be playing tackle football with armor on. The fact that they do is why we watch.

Truth.

which is sort of why i wondered why a press release was warranted. seems like it draws undue attention to the matter.

All he said was the truth.  Not sure why people are reacting to it. 

Because saying what he said runs contrary to the safety narrative that a multi-multi-billion dollar association (the NFL) is carefully crafting.

Edited by That Aud Smell

No need to apologize to me, even if I am allowing myself to get exercised about it.

Of course, if the team were winning, they'd likely have people in charge who don't pull dumb sh1t like this.

I don't like dismissing things that are important to others simply because they're not important to me. Hence, apology. You will accept it and you will like accepting it dammit!

Second point maybe. You'd think this generation's dynasty would be smart enough to not get caught cheating...twice...yet here we are.

I don't like dismissing things that are important to others simply because they're not important to me. Hence, apology. You will accept it and you will like accepting it dammit!

:lol:

Second point maybe. You'd think this generation's dynasty would be smart enough to not get caught cheating...twice...yet here we are.

:o

All he said was the truth.  Not sure why people are reacting to it.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that people should not put their faces in front of others throwing punches with malice, or, people should not be playing tackle football with armor on.  The fact that they do is why we watch.

This is more along the lines of what i should have said. Bigger, faster, stronger, more dangerous. Must watch TV

Hey, they're in are division, too, aren't they? 

...and people are wondering why the Bills want to keep some things under wraps.

I thought maybe he was trying to quell some of the attention it had gotten?

for sure, that's what they were trying to do.

Hey, they're in are division, too, aren't they? 

...and people are wondering why the Bills want to keep some things under wraps.

:o  :o  :o

which is sort of why i wondered why a press release was warranted. seems like it draws undue attention to the matter.

Because saying what he said runs contrary to the safety narrative that a multi-multi-billion dollar association (the NFL) is carefully crafting.

It's one thing when something is misspoken and it comes out derogatory, in that case I still don't think a press release is warranted. But I don't even know how what he said can possibly be taken in an offensive manner. Who is offended, robots? Humans? If not offensive, then why?

I don't know if the Bills are purposely attracting attention to themselves, or the media is that bored out of their minds.

I agree with those above, I don't care either.

It's one thing when something is misspoken and it comes out derogatory, in that case I still don't think a press release is warranted. But I don't even know how what he said can possibly be taken in an offensive manner. Who is offended, robots? Humans? If not offensive, then why?

The question (proposition) to which I was responding was

All he said was the truth.  Not sure why people are reacting to it.  

So, it was not a matter of whether what he said was offensive. It was whether it was worthy of a reaction, attention.

And obviously it was, and is, because, against the backdrop of the NFL's efforts to deal with concussions and CTE, Whaley intimated -- even if unintentionally -- that the sport is so inherently dangerous and violent that human beings should not be playing it.

And then, it appears, the NFL got fully and firmly up his rear end and prepared a statement for him to release PDQ.

I, for one, won't miss the stream of consciousness "reporting" that the twittersphere engenders.

The league mandates a certain portion of practices be open to the media, but we will see more teams adopt stricter guidelines moving forward. It may not be readily apparent, but there are competitive reasons for adopting tighter rules.

GO BILLS!!!

I, for one, won't miss the stream of consciousness "reporting" that the twittersphere engenders.

This is an interesting thought.

On further reflection, though, there's no escaping, and no undoing the shift that social media has brought to the news cycle.

But I do take your point: It is good to get hold of a piece that's been a few days in the making.

The league mandates a certain portion of practices be open to the media, but we will see more teams adopt stricter guidelines moving forward. It may not be readily apparent, but there are competitive reasons for adopting tighter rules.

I will sh1t in my own hat if the Bills prove to have been ahead of the curve on this.

This is an interesting thought.

On further reflection, though, there's no escaping, and no undoing the shift that social media has brought to the news cycle.

But I do take your point: It is good to get hold of a piece that's been a few days in the making.

I will sh1t in my own hat if the Bills prove to have been ahead of the curve on this.

Chicago implemented similar restrictions last year and took similar criticism from the media, so it's not like the Bills are the first to do it. In reality, they are just rolling back to what media policy was in the past. 

Social media has changed the playing field. These aren't reports so much as op/ed offerings in real time. And if reporters have a bone to pick or an ax to grind with a particular player, it gets ugly. Just witness Joe Buscaglia's hatchet jobs on Manuel the last couple years. 

GO BILLS!!!

The question (proposition) to which I was responding was

So, it was not a matter of whether what he said was offensive. It was whether it was worthy of a reaction, attention.

And obviously it was, and is, because, against the backdrop of the NFL's efforts to deal with concussions and CTE, Whaley intimated -- even if unintentionally -- that the sport is so inherently dangerous and violent that human beings should not be playing it.

And then, it appears, the NFL got fully and firmly up his rear end and prepared a statement for him to release PDQ.

And people wonder why players and coaches read from a script every time they're interviewed.

I just can't help liking these guys:  http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/26/rob-rex-ryan-buffalo-bills-interview-nfl

Clearly there's some dysfunction in the organization:

I don’t know if we have 100 percent buy-in from even the entire building. I don’t know yet. But the people directly with me, my coaching staff and the players, that’s where it starts. I don’t know all the business people yet; they should be “all in,” but I don’t know.

Interesting. The more I learn about him (them), the less I like him (them). Words like "buffoon" and "wind bag" pop into my head.

Clearly there's some dysfunction in the organization:

And that is hardly surprising. With a personality as ridiculously out-sized as Rex, there's apt to be reluctance from certain quarters. I suspect there are people in the FO putting themselves to be in the "Sorry, but I told you so" camp.

Interesting. The more I learn about him (them), the less I like him (them). Words like "buffoon" and "wind bag" pop into my head.

And that is hardly surprising. With a personality as ridiculously out-sized as Rex, there's apt to be reluctance from certain quarters. I suspect there are people in the FO putting themselves to be in the "Sorry, but I told you so" camp.

I can't disagree with the bolded, and as I've mentioned before I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that there is a high likelihood of the wheels coming off this season.  But I still think he is a completely honest and sincere person who wants to be here and lift this franchise out of the quicksand, and I can't help rooting for him.

As for the organizational pushback -- absolutely -- but given the mediocrity and incompetence displayed for a generation from those pushing back, I couldn't care less about them being unhappy.  Frankly, my ideal scenario for this season is a shocking drive to 11-5 and 2 playoff wins, with TT looking like Vick 2.0, followed by Rex winning a power struggle and forcing out RB, DW, Overdorf and the rest of the lifetime-tenured bozos at OBD.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.