Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

I have a way to get Sammy the ball that Tyrod can execute: bubble screens. Actually, anyone who ever watched him in college knows this (over 50% of his catches came behind the line of scrimmage), yet none of our OCs have incorporated it into the offense. I'd be shocked if we've thrown more than 5 bubble screens to Sammy since he came into the league. It's insane.

I have a way to get Sammy the ball that Tyrod can execute: bubble screens. Actually, anyone who ever watched him in college knows this (over 50% of his catches came behind the line of scrimmage), yet none of our OCs have incorporated it into the offense. I'd be shocked if we've thrown more than 5 bubble screens to Sammy since he came into the league. It's insane.

And TT doesn't look that bad at throwing them from what I've seen. You make wayyyyyyy too much sense for the Bills though. 

True: "Try some screens to Sammy."

Lynn/Hackett/Roman/etc: *stares blankly* "hmmmm"

Lynn/Hackett/Roman/etc: "Okay boys, Wild Cat the next two plays, fake the end around to Hunter and Shady follow Richie"

I hate this idea. I think NFL players are too fast and too smart for this to work with any regularity.

My Dad has been harping this for years. That, Kalil Mack, Orakpo, and that Marv couldn't adjust at halftime 

Is it Julio Jones that gets loads of yards on these plays? I know someone does. Julio would make sense, Sammy looks a lot like he does

Antonio Brown gets a lot of them. Tinier guy, Jones and Green are much bigger

My Dad has been harping this for years. That, Kalil Mack, Orakpo, and that Marv couldn't adjust at halftime 

Antonio Brown gets a lot of them. Tinier guy, Jones and Green are much bigger

:huh:

There were a LOT of games in the SB years that they stunk in the 1st 1/2 & then were a totally different team in the 2nd 1/2. (Textbook, though not only, example 1/3/93)

:huh:

There were a LOT of games in the SB years that they stunk in the 1st 1/2 & then were a totally different team in the 2nd 1/2. (Textbook, though not only, example 1/3/93)

Is that the Oilers comeback?

TBF he doesn't harp on that one a lot, more so two specific examples: the Giants SB and the Cowboys SB where we were leading at half

Is that the Oilers comeback?

TBF he doesn't harp on that one a lot, more so two specific examples: the Giants SB and the Cowboys SB where we were leading at half

Jints SB though they were leading at 1/2, the offense didn't touch the ball in the 2nd 1/2 until after a veeeery long drive to end & then start the next 1/2. If Talley hadn't messed up his elbow against Raiders, they win that one going away.

And XXVIII, if they could've even made the Pokes have to run A play after the fumble before scoring, they might have regrouped. But putting the O right back out in the now tied game & the momentum had changed for good (well, technically, bad, but you get the point). Where Marv screwed up there was they just let Thurman sulk on the bench w/out building him back up before going back on the field. He was useless after that. And it was a really flukey play. Big hole to run through, Hull (?) had the man nearly completely tied upbut he just got a piece of the ball as Thomas ran through. TOTALLY changed that game. :censored:

Why are you so against doing something that works?

Because for years we've seen the Bills try this. Throw it two yards behind the line of scrimmage only to end up losing four. For years when we needed 9 yds for a first, we've seen them throw it eight and think they still have Andre Reed catching it to get the YAC.

TT might not seen al of the field, but one of the more refreshing thing the past two years is that when we need 13 yds for a first, he usually tries to throw it 14 (unless he takes off and runs for 26, of course).

I wouldn't mind seeing an actual screen every once in a while though.

Edited by SwampD

Because for years we've seen the Bills try this. Throw it two yards behind the line of scrimmage only to end up losing four. For years when we needed 9 yds for a first, we've seen them throw it eight and think they still have Andre Reed catching it to get the YAC.

TT might not seen al of the field, but one of the more refreshing thing the past two years is that when we need 13 yds for a first, he usually tries to throw it 14 (unless he takes off and runs for 26, of course).

I wouldn't mind seeing an actual screen every once in a while though.

What Gailey had Fitz and Johnson doing should not be a reason to not do what TT and Sammy could be great at.

Is a bubble screen that route that is behind, at, and/or just beyond the line of scrimmage? 

I hate this idea. I think NFL players are too fast and too smart for this to work with any regularity.

I remember hearing that a concern with Sammy out of Clemson was that a significant share of his receptions came at or near the line of scrimmage, and that that wasn't something that could continue in the NFL. That concern, of course, now appears entirely misplaced. The guy can run all the routes and catch the ball anywhere on the field.

But the larger concern is part of a common line of thought: The quick hitch type passes that are commonly used in college in order to feature elite play-makers are not a reliable option in the NFL because bigger, faster, stronger defensive players.

It was a staple of the Broncos offense Peyton's first few years there, when it was the best in the league.

I'm all for anything that gets the ball in Sammy's hands more. But I'm unsure whether this is an/the answer. 

Is a bubble screen that route that is behind, at, and/or just beyond the line of scrimmage?

I remember hearing that a concern with Sammy out of Clemson was that a significant share of his receptions came at or near the line of scrimmage, and that that wasn't something that could continue in the NFL. That concern, of course, now appears entirely misplaced. The guy can run all the routes and catch the ball anywhere on the field.

But the larger concern is part of a common line of thought: The quick hitch type passes that are commonly used in college in order to feature elite play-makers are not a reliable option in the NFL because bigger, faster, stronger defensive players.

I'm all for anything that gets the ball in Sammy's hands more. But I'm unsure whether this is an/the answer.

Again, it has been done, and done well. This isn't coming out of left field.

Not as crazy as I would have thought....obviously a long shot but I would say Baltimore losing to Cinci in week 17 is the hardest part......I can easily seeing Houston losing twice

C0NaitlXUAAEpNe.jpg

Of course this leaves out the obvious need for the Bills to win out.  In the very unlikely event that all of that is needed in this graphic does indeed come to pass, is there any doubt that the Bills will then proceed to lose to the Jets?

Again, it has been done, and done well. This isn't coming out of left field.

I think you're over-simplifying the proposition. Which is a weird thing for you to do.

There are reasons that that part of the WR route tree has worked elsewhere. Those reasons may or may not be present here, in sufficient measure.

+++

@Wildcard: Bills are going to make the playoffs, lose by 30 in a wildcard game, and Rex will be fired.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.