Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Thurman Thomas dealing with post-concussion syndrome symptoms...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15314750/former-buffalo-bills-star-thurman-thomas-says-mood-swings-concussions

Thomas carries notes with him because he often can't keep focused, and he told a story about getting lost on a familiar road a few years ago.

"I didn't know where I was, and I didn't know what I was doing," he said. "I had to make the most difficult call I've ever made. I had to pull over on the highway, call my wife and explain to her the events that just happened. She said, 'You need to come back home.' I knew that there was a problem."

The more you know about the impacts that full-contact, tackle football has on a person's body, the more amazed I am that ANY parent would allow their child to play it.  

Is the NFL going to exist in 20 years? Or will the lawsuits and people deciding not to play have forced the league out by then?

I definitely could see a state or two banning, or at least refusing to fund, public high school football by then.

Is the NFL going to exist in 20 years? Or will the lawsuits and people deciding not to play have forced the league out by then?

I could see it eventually going the way of boxing where the best athletes choose other sports and its popularity fades, but I'd be surprised if it dies entirely within our lifetimes.

20 years feels like it's too soon. The NFL, for sure, has a serious matter on its hands. It's bizarre: The league is unrivaled in its popularity and is practically printing money at this point, but there are some pitch-black dark clouds looming on the distant horizon.

I definitely could see a state or two banning, or at least refusing to fund, public high school football by then.

Interesting thought. Slippery slope?

Also: It seems like a greater risk of H.S. football attrition is arising from the fact that districts simply don't have enough kids coming out to play in order to field teams. Now, my perspective on that comes from rust belt New York State school districts (Ken-Ton, several out in the southern tier) -- maybe the story is different in more traditional football strongholds (Ohio, Penna, Texas, SEC country).

20 years feels like it's too soon. The NFL, for sure, has a serious matter on its hands. It's bizarre: The league is unrivaled in its popularity and is practically printing money at this point, but there are some pitch-black dark clouds looming on the distant horizon.

Interesting thought. Slippery slope?

Also: It seems like a greater risk of H.S. football attrition is arising from the fact that districts simply don't have enough kids coming out to play in order to field teams. Now, my perspective on that comes from rust belt New York State school districts (Ken-Ton, several out in the southern tier) -- maybe the story is different in more traditional football strongholds (Ohio, Penna, Texas, SEC country).

Not sure why it would be a slippery slope.  I think it's going to happen in Maine, NH, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, or New York.

So, nobody saw this yet?

@CNBCnow

BREAKING: US Appeals court reinstates New England Patriots' Tom Brady's suspension over 'deflategate' - Reuters

Sweet.

Brady will (hopefully) miss => Arizona, Miami, Houston, and Buffalo (in NE)

@albertbreer
Tom Brady's recourse is to seek a stay/injunction and a) ask for a re-hearing before the full 2nd circuit or b) appeal to the Supreme Court.

@andrewbrandt
2nd Circuit back to CBA: "Had the parties wished to restrict the Commissioners authority, they could have fashioned a different agreement."

Not sure why it would be a slippery slope.  I think it's going to happen in Maine, NH, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, or New York.

Well - what if, on down the line, people start pounding a table about how concussion rates are actually much higher in, say, soccer (than in American football). Should funding be yanked for soccer programs as well? Just a thought on where this is all headed.

Also: NFL Memes was ready with this one.

Cg5jBB1WkAEVkys.jpg

Hahahaha - suck it, Tawmmy!

Well - what if, on down the line, people start pounding a table about how concussion rates are actually much higher in, say, soccer (than in American football). Should funding be yanked for soccer programs as well? Just a thought on where this is all headed.

Ah now I understand.

No idea where it's headed or even if it will happen; I just can see it as a possibility.  (EDIT:  ESPECIALLY when school districts start becoming targets of lawsuits, and you know that's going to happen.)  Even the Romans put a stop to the gladiators...

Edited by Eleven

Waaaiiiit. They did?

They're not going on now, they must have, right? :) Another good example were the medieval knight tournaments (jousting, melee, etc., you know, like the Renn faire). Enough knights were getting injured that they put a bunch of rules in place to limit the injuries and the popularity dropped.

Cg5jBB1WkAEVkys.jpg

When did Morgan Freeman straighten his hair? 

Cg5jBB1WkAEVkys.jpg

I see an old Asian guy, an old black guy and Richard Nixon.

There's a joke here, somewhere.

"In March, Brady signed a two-year contract extension that chopped his 2016 salary from $9 million to $1 million, effectively bracing the quarterback for a massive financial loss in the event that a four-game suspension would be served. That extension also netted him more than $40 million in new money."

I find this fascinating.  Obviously he, his agent and the Patriots saw this coming from miles away

Is the NFL CBA going to go down as one of the worst in history from the perspective of the players (in any sport)? They gave up money in a league that's thriving financially and they essentially agreed to Goodell's absolute authority (a commissioner hated by players long before Deflategate), all in exchange for what, training camps that suck a little less? 

"In March, Brady signed a two-year contract extension that chopped his 2016 salary from $9 million to $1 million, effectively bracing the quarterback for a massive financial loss in the event that a four-game suspension would be served. That extension also netted him more than $40 million in new money."

I find this fascinating.  Obviously he, his agent and the Patriots saw this coming from miles away

Yea, I read under the new deal he'll lose about $200k, as opposed to $2 million. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.