GDT: Buffalo @ Boston, 7:00 pm edt, 2-6-2016

WildCard

DeLuca, I agree with you on the Risto comments, but blaming Lehner for the Marchand goal?

Lots of speed, a subtle head fake, and then absolutely roofing the backhand?

A much as it pains me to admit it. Ratboy's finish was a thing of beauty.

http://nesn.com/2016/02/brad-marchands-overtime-penalty-shot-goal-thrills-bruins-angers-sabres/

Oh, most aware one, you may have been using it correctly depending on the context.

I believe with the *i* would have been correct.

Webster would, but the meanings are not indistinguishable.

Well, sure, to wave and waive are very different actions. But to wave off a goal vs. waiving it off are one in the same. See what I did there? teehee

Can you imagine the glorious scene? The smirking uber-villain Marchand, presenting his palms to officials with his copywrited incredulous, bewildered look ... cheering chowder heads coming to the conclusion that something's up, one by one .... TV Jack miss-explaining the action with a half grasp of rules, full grasp of homerism, and a cup-runneth over need to keep talking .... Players milling about while officials converse within earshot of captains ... the Sabres captain turning and skating away, tapping his stick on the ice ... Marchand looking like someone tried to explain Sudoko to him .... The goal waved off and a penalty awarded to the Sabres ... Lehner waving his stick and returning to his crease like Thor waved a sword and returned to his throne ... and Matty Mou potting the GW power play goal .... and one last look at the always angry and befuddled Claude Julian.

:worthy:

Lehner's statline through seven appearances: 2.17 GAA and a whopping .939 save percentage. 2-3-1 record. Still early but we can only hope this continues and we've got our guy.

Just one of his full games played has seen him finish with a save percentage below .943.

#paidtomuch

#stillbutthurt

#murrayfleeced

I'm not going back to the discussion of the penalty shot to see if this has been discussed, sorry (lazy), but I'm not sure DB has a point when he says there was no "separation." I mean, an epically awful call, but separation has nothing to do with it. You don't have to be "in the clear" to draw a penalty shot. Just no one between you and the goalie (and over the red line and fouled from behind and a reasonable scoring chance is prevented).

But, yeah, it's hard to figure what call was worse, Marchand or McGinn. You probably couldn't go back through 46 years of Sabres hockey and find two worse penalty shot calls in one game. There's no defending either one. McGinn has to be a penalty shot every time. We need more penalty shots in the game. Was it the same ref, by the way? If so, I'd honestly check his cell phone for Ruffs and Vaneks. (R&Vs, it's Rochester cop lingo).

This is an exchange I just had on Facebook. This person is from Boston and is a hockey referee of all people!

XXXXX Here's the excerpt from the NHL rule book:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZSpMyMWEAQ4uST.jpg

XXX Blame your own team for not bringing the complaint....and equipment violations are commonplace...only cry babies look for them...has no effect on play

XXX So you admit the Bruins do cheat? If it has no effect then why do it? Reminds me of another controversy involving a Boston sports team. Offside violations don't affect the game either, but goals are still called back. Because rules, You should know that of all people.
· 
XXX I would bet there are just as many violations on the buffalo bench. Why do you need to play the role of a troll? Oh that's right...buffalo inferiority complex...haha

XXX This is effin' hilarious! Right on cue, like you are reading off a script. Get caught cheating, then start saying everyone does it. LOLZ!

XXXX As an official I know everyone does it...and so does the coaching staffs hence the reason for no challenge. Comparable to baseball and pitchers with pine tar...

XXX So why are there rules against it if it's so common and it has no impact?

XXXX Caught cheating...blame other team.

XXXX Haha...troll

XXXX What a dummy Marchand is showing the world his illegal glove.

XXX Whatever makes you feel better about yourself Harry...will always be a loser franchise and city

XXX Who's the troll now?

XXX Guess it's contagious....

XXX Caught cheating AGAIN! What kind of city condones that?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Can you imagine the glorious scene?

Not even a little. It's just not how Buffalo sports work. We lose, we lose miserably, in the most heartbreaking fashion, time and time again. This team, in due time may change that paradigm but until then I will expect pain.

Thankfully, the continuous losing has numbed my soul to it. Last night's ending only captured my emotions for a fleeting second. A garage league with ambiguous rules, ridiculously poor enforcement and Canadian dinosaurs at the helm (not counting that waif Bettmen) will never be allowed to capture my feelings.

Edited by inkman

Lehner's reaction after the goal tells me his mind was on the call not making the save. 

Tell me what was so "super sick" about Marchand's move? It was about as basic a move as you will see on a penalty shot. He skated in, Lehner began to fall and he went to the backhand. The wan't really anything that impressive about Marchand's move. 

Actually, he opened up his stance, so you couldn't tell which way he way going, pump faked twice and pivoted on his right foot to get the quick back hand..........Watch the replay again to see all that he did.......By the way the Sabres should watch it again, because our guys have no moves whatsoever

I just watched the postgame interviews.  Rasmus has matured so much in such a short amount of time.  The questions thrown his way baited him to blame the official and he stubbornly stuck to his story that he should have never made the bad pass.  He's part of the Cup winning team fo sho.

Actually, he opened up his stance, so you couldn't tell which way he way going, pump faked twice and pivoted on his right foot to get the quick back hand..........Watch the replay again to see all that he did.......By the way the Sabres should watch it again, because our guys have no moves whatsoever

I've watched it over and over, I've seen that same more 100 times, if Lehner doesn't fall face down it's a fairly easy save or the player backhands over the net. 

DeLuca, I agree with you on the Risto comments, but blaming Lehner for the Marchand goal?

Lots of speed, a subtle head fake, and then absolutely roofing the backhand?

A much as it pains me to admit it. Ratboy's finish was a thing of beauty.

http://nesn.com/2016/02/brad-marchands-overtime-penalty-shot-goal-thrills-bruins-angers-sabres/

I don't think Lehner was focused. IMO, any move Marchand could make was going to work.  

He can't be.  He's only 5'9".

I wish our 5' 9" players had his game.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.