Sabres' brass LOVES Leafs fans at FNC

PASabreFan

I don't get what is wrong with what you bolded.  You might not appreciate the thinking behind it, but all of that is not worth anyone getting their panties bunched up in a wad.  And I'm not saying you did, specifically, but, of course, others did.

So, perhaps the speculation that the Sabres directly generated the article is wrong. So what, unless you're really motivated to find out for sure, most people will not call the Sabres to verify that.  They will only do so to make a very distinct point.  Most people speculate and theorize in similar such conversations.

Do you disagree that the Sabres are actively marketing to other teams' fans to come in and fill the building?  Did Gilbert verify that they are NOT actively doing that (not in just this instance)?  Did you make that call?  You haven't admitted as much.  Let's say you disagree, as you seem to imply.  Is it CRAZY and STUPID to think that they may be doing that kind of marketing?  If yes, why?  Why is it crazy to think that?

Suppose you allow that the Sabres are marketing to opposing teams' fans. You don't think that having those fans in the Sabres building is a bad thing.  Good for you.  Why is it SILLY for someone to think it is?  Do you have data to back up that thinking?  Is there consensus that the data sound? 

Generally, you are implying with the way your response reads that the entire concept behind the thought is ridiculous...no, not ridiculous, the ellipsis suggest to me you think the thought is crazy, loony, irrational.  You are not at all allowing the possibility that there might be some truth in there worth discussing.  You are dismissing the thought completely, implying it is less the meritless.

I believe you are misunderstanding what I was getting at there. All I was doing was pointing out that PA is trying to say the thread wasn't about something that his first post literally was about. 

So basically you have decided to double down on ignorance? They did not "offer" a premeditated quote. There wasn't a staff meeting on how to answer the travel blog writer. Mike answered a simple innocuous question. I later spoke to the author on the phone and your interpretation is wrong. He is a Sabres fan. He was there. He knows exactly the context of everything that was said. Although I'm not going to make public what he really said, to paraphrase using my own words, every single thing you said about the situation is garbage. Utter garbage.

Your insistence in using any words from that article against the Buffalo Sabres is your insistence to lie about the organization. And this is the garbage that I'm tired of having on Sabrespace.

How about creating a special PA sub-forum sandbox where folks and discuss conspiracies all they want, and leave SabresSpace to be, you know, actual talk about Sabres hockey? Kind of like PPP on Two Bills Drive. That way if you want to avoid this sort of nonsense you can. There has to be more than two dozen Sabres fans online in all of the internet, but that's about the total number of active posters here.

Says the guy who spent a lot of time defending Regier :P

GROUPTHINK ALERT!! :w00t:

TrueBlueGED, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:42 PM, said:TrueBlueGED, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:42 PM, said:

I believe you are misunderstanding what I was getting at there. All I was doing was pointing out that PA is trying to say the thread wasn't about something that his first post literally was about. 

You didn't stop when it was appropriate to stop making that point.  You added your editorial which changed everything about your point. 

But you're right. 

I was on a roll, though.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

BTW, the idea that the statements from Gibby (the Sabres are losing money!) and the freelancer put this all to bed is sorta funny.

So, wait, people involved in a somewhat odd published statement are at the ready to say that the statement means nothing, is being taken out of context, yadda yadda?

Will wonders never cease?

Littlle known fact? I named this site. I'm on the "masthead" as senior advisor and historian. SDS wants positivity? A while back I offered to write game recaps, something I've done for several other sites. They were usually funny (I thought so), at least somewhat clever, definitely offbeat and as pro-Sabres as you can get. It would have driven traffic to the site and generated posts. SDS showed no interest in my idea. I did write a regular post called This Day in Sabres History that people seemed to like, and I bet 98% of my 20,000+ posts here have been pro-Sabres and non controversial. I feel like RJ after the attention he got for his May Day call. He said he had been sitting in that booth doing the same thing for 20-plus years and no one outside of Buffalo really cared. I've been here since 2005, doing the same thing. I was all over Golisano and The Core before it was trendy. I've been on TP's butt since late in Day One probably and I think I have good reasons. I've been on lots of butts, because it's near criminal what has happened to my team since 2007. SDS recently offered to ship me hockey equipment! He also wrote, "You're fine," not that long ago after a kerfuffle much like this. I really have to wonder what changed. I don't think it was me.

So not for nothing, but college football which is known for having some of the best atmosphere in all of sports will commonly hold many tickets for opposing teams to share in the experience of watching a game.  Respectful, back and forth cheering leads to a more interesting experience for all involved.

I think the biggest problem here is that us against them feelings are the things that lead to violence and stupidity.  Do we really want to have an arena where opposing fans are turned into vegetables like Bryan Stow?  That's the biggest issue I have with the direction this conversation has gone - the concept of not wanting other fans here seems over the top.  It's actually really funny when you think about it, but the people advocating for only Sabres fans to be allowed in the building also want diversity on this website. 

Seeing games in other barns with fans of the opposing teams who were gracious and fun to be around makes the game itself more special.  I've been to several....and in Montreal where people are helping you out with French and tapping you on the shoulder to make sure you see a fight behind the play adds something.

You didn't stop when it was appropriate to stop making that point.  You added your editorial which changed everything about your point. 

But you're right. 

I was on a roll, though.

Should I have gone with "but your thread start was literally about that" instead of "I mean..."? Not sure what else could be considered editorializing from that particular post. Honest question.

You most certainly were on a roll though :)

Edited by TrueBlueGED

TrueBlueGED, on 02 Feb 2016 - 9:53 PM, said:

Should I have gone with "but your thread start was literally about that" instead of "I mean..."? Not sure what else could be considered editorializing from that particular post. Honest question.

You most certainly were on a roll though :)

It was the "but, I mean..." that set me off.  Dang. It's really not a fair response to you in context, but I really like the post.  If I leave it there, would you just ignore it?  Maybe consider yourself the boogeyman for that moment?

It was the "but, I mean..." that set me off.  Dang. It's really not a fair response to you in context, but I really like the post.  If I leave it there, would you just ignore it?  Maybe consider yourself the boogeyman for that moment?

Leave it! It really is a good post.

I'd welcome a Game Recap by PA

As long as he self-censors any references to "Yeichel."

So not for nothing, but college football which is known for having some of the best atmosphere in all of sports will commonly hold many tickets for opposing teams to share in the experience of watching a game.  Respectful, back and forth cheering leads to a more interesting experience for all involved.

I think the biggest problem here is that us against them feelings are the things that lead to violence and stupidity.  Do we really want to have an arena where opposing fans are turned into vegetables like Bryan Stow?  That's the biggest issue I have with the direction this conversation has gone - the concept of not wanting other fans here seems over the top.  It's actually really funny when you think about it, but the people advocating for only Sabres fans to be allowed in the building also want diversity on this website. 

Seeing games in other barns with fans of the opposing teams who were gracious and fun to be around makes the game itself more special.  I've been to several....and in Montreal where people are helping you out with French and tapping you on the shoulder to make sure you see a fight behind the play adds something.

You are completely missing the point.  Totally. No one is saying the other teams' fans are not wanted.  The only people saying that are those trying to figure out a way of opposing the OP.

K-9, on 02 Feb 2016 - 10:03 PM, said:

So, opposing fans in attendance is OK but it's not OK for the Sabres front office to say it's OK. 

OK. 

GO SABRES!!!

Wow.

Talk about not having the facts straight before speculating or theorizing...

This is how good this discussion can be if all the garbage would cease.

Good points, but there's a distinction to be made. I'm not all that against out of town fans. I'm very much against my front office in any way encouraging them, especially in the context of empty seats in the arena and a very weak secondary market. It kind of looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Wow.

No, he's right. By God, he's got it!

Wow.

Relax. There are no "facts" to parse here and I am not speculating or theorizing about anything. It just struck me as funny because PA's original OP was really hung up on the aspect of Gilbert's welcoming statement to Leafs fans. 

GO SABRES!!!

K-9, on 02 Feb 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

Relax. There are no "facts" to parse here and I am not speculating or theorizing about anything. It just struck me as funny because PA's original OP was really hung up on the aspect of Gilbert's welcoming statement to Leafs fans. 

GO SABRES!!!

I need to leave this thread.  But it's so...it calls to me.  In a bad way.  I think the Sabres are okay to "welcome" Leafs fans, per se, per se. I do not think the Sabres' ought to market to Leafs fans as Leafs fans. 

You are completely missing the point.  Totally. No one is saying the other teams' fans are not wanted.  The only people saying that are those trying to figure out a way of opposing the OP.

Respectfully disagree...the original point read to me as, the Sabres themselves shouldn't be actively reaching out to other fans to watch games at the Arena, especially when the owner said he would "drill another well" if he had to make money.  When you are building something and actually making downtown a destination, I see absolutely no issue with inviting people in to share it.  It's no different than wanting to spend a fun weekend in Montreal, skating the canal in Ottawa, lapping up beers on Causeway street, or sitting on a patio in Tampa while catching a game when your team is in town.  I love that this is something to argue about.....five years ago the current courtyard marriott was a boarded up fenced off blight. 

This will be a non issue when we are winning games and making a run in (hopefully) 2-3 years. 

And remember....in a few years we'll have a 600 seat beer hall within sight of the arena, with ice skating and a hotel right there.  Talk about a great road trip.

Edited by Darryl Shannon's +/-

BTW, the idea that the statements from Gibby (the Sabres are losing money!) and the freelancer put this all to bed is sorta funny.

So, wait, people involved in a somewhat odd published statement are at the ready to say that the statement means nothing, is being taken out of context, yadda yadda?

Will wonders never cease?

Skepticism about the corporate world is always well founded, but I take Giblet at his word. My suspicions about how the piece came to be weren't even central to the main point: I WAS PISSED THE COMMENT WAS MADE! (And I still think it was a well considered comment by a pro such as Mike, who is very good at what he does.)

Darryl Shannon's +/-, on 02 Feb 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

Respectfully disagree...the original point read to me as, the Sabres themselves shouldn't be actively reaching out to other fans to watch games at the Arena, especially when the owner said he would "drill another well" if he had to make money.  When you are building something and actually making downtown a destination, I see absolutely no issue with inviting people in to share it.  It's no different than wanting to spend a fun weekend in Montreal, skating the canal in Ottawa, lapping up beers on Causeway street, or sitting on a patio in Tampa while catching a game when your team is in town.  I love that this is something to argue about.....five years ago the current courtyard marriott was a boarded up fenced off blight. 

This will be a non issue when we are winning games and making a run in (hopefully) 2-3 years. 

THIS, I think, is relatively accurate.  The post I quoted though, said "That's the biggest issue I have with the direction this conversation has gone - the concept of not wanting other fans here seems over the top."  The latter is inaccurate.

This is a bit of a digression: I think threads like these (or the hijacking of threads like these) are necessary to have such a great board. No matter which side specific posters are arguing, it's clear that almost everyone involved really REALLY loves this board.

It's the best place on the internet. And I'm super glad we have a back to back games coming up. :beer:

Edited by qwksndmonster

I need to leave this thread.  But it's so...it calls to me.  In a bad way.  I think the Sabres are okay to "welcome" Leafs fans, per se, per se. I do not think the Sabres' ought to market to Leafs fans as Leafs fans. 

Marketing to Leafs fans as Leafs fans would be a waste of ad dollars. I think they know that. 

Saying all fans are welcome to experience a new Buffalo renaissance experience while attending a game for a travel article in an out of town paper circulated in a region they have aggressively marketed to since their inception (with great results, btw), is not only not a waste of ad dollars, it is an advertisement with NO ad dollars needed. Smart. 

GO SABRES!!!

And remember....in a few years we'll have a 600 seat beer hall within sight of the arena, with ice skating and a hotel right there.  Talk about a great road trip.

Great stuff, here!

GO SABRES!!!

No, he's right. By God, he's got it!

Are you enjoying my joke or just being a dick? Not always apparent which way you lean. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is a bit of a digression: I think threads like these (or the hijacking of threads like these) are necessary to have such a great board. No matter which side specific posters are arguing, it's clear that almost everyone involved really REALLY loves this board.

It's the best place on the internet. And I'm super glad we have a back to back games coming up. :beer:

No. No. No.  this stuff needs to be stifled.  :rolleyes:

Are you enjoying my joke or just being a dick? Not always apparent which way you lean. 

GO SABRES!!!

I didn't see the joke. I was just agreeing with your summary of the situation: Leafs fans in arena OK, encouraging Leafs fans in arena not OK.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.