GDT: Detroit @ Buffalo, 7:00pm est, 1-22-2016

WildCard

Except we have to listen to Rob say "Layner" for those 10 years. And "Layner" going to the "ground."

Shove it. Seriously.

Maybe an anti-Vigoda site: Matt Moulson is still deceased.

Yup. Murray has to be feeling a lot better about things now.

Mike Weber deliberately shooting the puck wide in the second period from the point hoping it would carom out front and go off Little Gio, the Stone Guy and Maria Genero's tuckus and in was one of the saddest hockey sights ever.

No. Just no. This team is underperforming more than last year's team did.

Rob also said entering the third that the Sabres were right where Bylsma wanted them to be. Slow the game down, get into the third tied or close and "win a period." Rob's opinion is fine, but is it his opinion or is he parroting the team's "braintrust"? I mean, they have broadcast production meetings where these things are discussed. Is this really the kind of game Bylsma coaches? And the kind of team Murray wants to build? Bumble covering the whole net and win 1-0 on a bounce? With all the offensive talent the Sabres have, and what that talent will look like in a few years? How depressing.

The one almost valid point made when discussing whether TN was really only extended for the one year tank was that it was a wasted year that the foundation should have been laid down. As I pointed out last year, what was the point of laying the foundation when almost none of the core was present. Bylsma is laying the foundation. Next year their responsibilities will be second nature and the slow, methodical approach will slowly be replaced. When the it becomes habit and the thinking is eliminated, the flow will be much more palatable, at least for as much as the NHL allows. On that note, the Chicago Blackhawks are sixth in the league averaging 2.82 goals per game but a whopping 12 of those goals are empty net goals. Take away those empty netters and take away Buffalo's empty netters and the Sabres are 20 goals off the Blackhawks' pace. That is today's NHL.

Man,

That sure sounds awesome. Wish i could attend!

Someday, it will be you ..

If I wasn't getting my butt on the road back to Rochester at the stroke of 5:00 I would come find you. Enjoy the new Buffalo!

Next time ... In the meantime, I pulled over and picked up a souvenir for you ... Below.

Excellent - glad to hear you are enjoying your visit to Buffalo 2.0!

Thanks! Enjoy it is. My daughters called it "Papa's gone to Heaven" Day.

From a reliable source, he may be done for the year ala 2015 Lehner.

I actually looked into flights outta Chitown to do the nostalgia tour with you and of course Chef's but nothing getting in in time for the game.

Well, we'll have to make better plans. Perhaps a Blackhawks game in Chicago.

Are you me?   Did that tour last month... first game at FNC since early 2000's.   We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Canalside, it was absolutely fantastic.   Took the family to Chef's (hadn't been in 25 years) and spent just about all our time at Canalside/Harborcenter skating, eating, drinking, watching hockey, shopping, etc....  Would definitely do it again, the kids can't wait to go back!  Enjoy your stay.

The French Connection Room ... We missed them by a few hours.

Glad you're having a good time.

Would have tried to meet up w/ you but couldn't get out of Ra-cha-cha until just now. If you see someone in the Audette w/ the C on it, say 'hi.' I'll buy you a beer.

:beer:

I looked. Best jersey I saw ... Juri Novotny!

post-1462-0-42757800-1453572820_thumb.jpeg

Edited by N'eo

Whatever jj, I've explained why you're wrong and you ignored it so enjoy.

Just because you say you did, doesn't make it so. All you did was provide the stats that shows we are 2nd in the league in man-games lost. I'm sorry you can't recognize that our injury problems have been going on all year, not just when the Sabres started playing like crap.

Stop being a prick.

Just because you say you did, doesn't make it so. All you did was provide the stats that shows we are 2nd in the league in man-games lost. I'm sorry you can't recognize that our injury problems have been going on all year, not just when the Sabres started playing like crap.

Stop being a prick.

If Toews, Panarin, and Shaw were all injured at once, would Chicago be the same team?

And don't ever call me a prick again.

Then stop acting like one. If you want to discuss, discuss. If not, lay off the snide comments and just move on.

Toews, Panarin and Shaw are not Girgs, Ennis and Reinhart. And they certainly would be putting in a better effort than the Sabres have in their recent losses.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Rob also said entering the third that the Sabres were right where Bylsma wanted them to be. Slow the game down, get into the third tied or close and "win a period." Rob's opinion is fine, but is it his opinion or is he parroting the team's "braintrust"? I mean, they have broadcast production meetings where these things are discussed. Is this really the kind of game Bylsma coaches? And the kind of team Murray wants to build? Bumble covering the whole net and win 1-0 on a bounce? With all the offensive talent the Sabres have, and what that talent will look like in a few years? How depressing.

This did worry me as well, I heard Ray talking about how DB's plan was to hunker down and win a low scoring game. I hope that was a one game approach, due to injuries and what not, and not representative of how Bylsma would always like to be winning hockey games.

On that note, the Chicago Blackhawks are sixth in the league averaging 2.82 goals per game but a whopping 12 of those goals are empty net goals. Take away those empty netters and take away Buffalo's empty netters and the Sabres are 20 goals off the Blackhawks' pace. That is today's NHL.

This is a ridiculous stat. Mind boggling. There is a problem with the game.

Stop being a prick.

But our forward corps is more banged up now than at any time this season.

The comparison to Chicago in terms of if they were suffering injuries is pointless. They don't have the same injuries and we can't know how they would perform if they did. Call it an excuse if you want, but all of our forward injuries is definitely a contributing factor to why we aren't scoring.

But our forward corps is more banged up now than at any time this season.

The comparison to Chicago in terms of if they were suffering injuries is pointless. They don't have the same injuries and we can't know how they would perform if they did. Call it an excuse if you want, but all of our forward injuries is definitely a contributing factor to why we aren't scoring.

I agree it's not helping the scoring at all. I think they've been struggling ever since Ennis got hurt. But it doesn't explain why they've looked listless and lazy while playing like they're going through the motions in most of their losses. At the start of the season when they were missing key guys, they lost a bunch of games where it was arguable that they should have won. At least payed good enough to win. Many of their losses lately were legit and deserved. Most of them ended up closer in the score than they should have been.

Then stop acting like one. If you want to discuss, discuss. If not, lay off the snide comments and just move on.

Toews, Panarin and Shaw are not Girgs, Ennis and Reinhart. And they certainly would be putting in a better effort than the Sabres have in their recent losses.

Okay, last warning. That's 2 posts in a row.

I am not comparing players directly. Reinhart,Ennis,zemgus are top 6 guys for Buffalo. If another team such as Chicago lost 3 of their top 6 would you expect that team to maintain their play?

I agree it's not helping the scoring at all. I think they've been struggling ever since Ennis got hurt. But it doesn't explain why they've looked listless and lazy while playing like they're going through the motions in most of their losses. At the start of the season when they were missing key guys, they lost a bunch of games where it was arguable that they should have won. At least payed good enough to win. Many of their losses lately were legit and deserved. Most of them ended up closer in the score than they should have been.

It's true that the effort of late doesn't seem to quite be where it was earlier. I'm not sure if this is coaching, fatigue (it was pointed out that they were short on rest for yesterday's game), or just a case of "the straw that breaks the camel's back" in that we finally suffered one injury too many. We are severely depleted upfront and that is going to show.

They are so many variables in this equation that it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is going wrong at any given time. Right now the injuries stick out to me. 

It's true that the effort of late doesn't seem to quite be where it was earlier. I'm not sure if this is coaching, fatigue (it was pointed out that they were short on rest for yesterday's game), or just a case of "the straw that breaks the camel's back" in that we finally suffered one injury too many. We are severely depleted upfront and that is going to show.

They are so many variables in this equation that it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is going wrong at any given time. Right now the injuries stick out to me. 

Fair enough. I just don't understand how they can be so inconsistent. When I see games like they played against the Caps, and then watch the games against the Bruins, Wings and Colorado, I'm left scratching my head. This year, I don't care if they lose, I don't care if they make mistakes........ but at least look like you're putting an in effort.

Fair enough. I just don't understand how they can be so inconsistent. When I see games like they played against the Caps, and then watch the games against the Bruins, Wings and Colorado, I'm left scratching my head. This year, I don't care if they lose, I don't care if they make mistakes........ but at least look like you're putting an in effort.

I think its the "looking like they are putting in effort" that separates a lot of fans opinions of what they are watching. Some people equate effort with skates flying, players diving all over and running people through the boards. I see a team learning a system, unsure of what they are supposed to do and more often then not putting in quite a bit of effort. Yesterday's game was atrocious no matter what you think of their travel itinerary. I think its great that the players and the coaches all deny that as a reason for the "effort."

While I am a little disappointed with the record, I am with Kris Baker when he says they are largely playing as we expected although we both expect them to finish with a flourish and give us a glimpse of the future during the final weeks of the season.

One more thing about effort, Rick Martin took a lot of criticism from those who felt he coasted a little too much and many a fan lamented, "if Rick only had the heart of Danny Gare...." Those close to the team will tell you that Rico put in quite a bit of work but was just so naturally gifted that he seldom looked like he was at full speed. Effort can be as hard to quantify as character.

I think its the "looking like they are putting in effort" that separates a lot of fans opinions of what they are watching. Some people equate effort with skates flying, players diving all over and running people through the boards. I see a team learning a system, unsure of what they are supposed to do and more often then not putting in quite a bit of effort. Yesterday's game was atrocious no matter what you think of their travel itinerary. I think its great that the players and the coaches all deny that as a reason for the "effort."

While I am a little disappointed with the record, I am with Kris Baker when he says they are largely playing as we expected although we both expect them to finish with a flourish and give us a glimpse of the future during the final weeks of the season.

One more thing about effort, Rick Martin took a lot of criticism from those who felt he coasted a little too much and many a fan lamented, "if Rick only had the heart of Danny Gare...." Those close to the team will tell you that Rico put in quite a bit of work but was just so naturally gifted that he seldom looked like he was at full speed. Effort can be as hard to quantify as character.

Point taken. We can all come to several different conclusions, or a combination of them. I'm just having a hard time finding a level of entertainment in many of these games.

Point taken. We can all come to several different conclusions, or a combination of them. I'm just having a hard time finding a level of entertainment in many of these games.

And that may be may be more about the state of the game. Let's take my Chicago example from before a little further. If Moulson, and Ennis perform up to expectations and have 20 goals between, the Sabres are in the middle of the pack in offense. Then you can safely assume that because they may have been playing with the lead the team would have scored a couple of more goals because their opponent would have to open things up.

Then ask yourself, as good as Johnson and Ullmark have played for stretches have they "stole" the Sabres a game? I can't think of one. In fact, I would argue that early on there was a game or two that goaltending costs them a game.

So there you have it, The rest of the team plays exactly like they have been playing. Ennis and Moulson convert some of their chances and a goaltender steals a game or two. The team is in the top five in goals scored and battling for a playoff spot. Are you more entertained?

The one almost valid point made when discussing whether TN was really only extended for the one year tank was that it was a wasted year that the foundation should have been laid down. As I pointed out last year, what was the point of laying the foundation when almost none of the core was present. Bylsma is laying the foundation. Next year their responsibilities will be second nature and the slow, methodical approach will slowly be replaced. When the it becomes habit and the thinking is eliminated, the flow will be much more palatable, at least for as much as the NHL allows. On that note, the Chicago Blackhawks are sixth in the league averaging 2.82 goals per game but a whopping 12 of those goals are empty net goals. Take away those empty netters and take away Buffalo's empty netters and the Sabres are 20 goals off the Blackhawks' pace. That is today's NHL.

Webster hits a couple out of the park.

Someday, it will be you ..

Next time ... In the meantime, I pulled over and picked up a souvenir for you ... Below.

Thanks! Enjoy it is. My daughters called it "Papa's gone to Heaven" Day.

Well, we'll have to make better plans. Perhaps a Blackhawks game in Chicago.

The French Connection Room ... We missed them by a few hours.

I looked. Best jersey I saw ... Juri Novotny!

Teddy, my man!

I really don't think this team is still "learning the system." They're just bad and have no upper level of play. At their best, this team has been solid and consistent. We never push the envolope.

The reffing was baaaad. The "hooking" on Larsson and interference on O'Reilly (was intereference, but so what? Why call it there and never again?) was a bad start, then the refs blew a play dead right in front of the Red Wings' net after Kane's shot deflected into one of their faces. Since when does the play stop because somebody suffered an injury? Later on in the game another Red Wing got hit with the puck in front of our net, but that didn't get blown dead.

Reffing aside, we still played like junk and deserved to lose.

Eichel still looks gassed. He might be good for 1 or 2 Eichel rushes a game and a few nice backchecks, but he isn't anywhere near engaged enough. 'Tis okay, he's still a kid, but it's frustrating.

How freakin' boring is NHL hockey? Wouldn't it be nice if there was a dud game every now and again instead of half of the games being terrible?

I agree with d4rk that Samson is very important to this squad. O'Reilly looks nowhere near as good without him.

Lehner is awesome. It sucks that we had to hear about how bad that trade was for months on end until we could actually see the guy play.

The reffing was baaaad. The "hooking" on Larsson and interference on O'Reilly (was intereference, but so what? Why call it there and never again?) was a bad start, then the refs blew a play dead right in front of the Red Wings' net after Kane's shot deflected into one of their faces. Since when does the play stop because somebody suffered an injury? Later on in the game another Red Wing got hit with the puck in front of our net, but that didn't get blown dead.

Not sure the argument you have with Cal's interference. Pretty clear cut.

As for the injured Wing, the officials always have the ability to stop play if a player is "seriously" injured. Obviously the Wing wasn't as he returned to play. The problem as always for the ref is the propensity for histrionics by hockey players. Under pressure and get hit in the face with a puck? Go down like a bag of dirt. That one last night stung as the puck was on ROR's stick for a point blank chance.

Rule 8.1 says, in part:

When a player is injured so that he cannot continue play or go to

his bench, the play shall not be stopped until the injured player’s team

has secured control of the puck. If the player’s team is in control of the

puck at the time of injury, play shall be stopped immediately unless his

team is in a scoring position.

In the case where it is obvious that a player has sustained a

serious injury, the Referee and/or Linesman may stop the play

immediately.

Former ref Kerry Fraser addresses Rule 8.1 here: http://www2.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=424948

The argument against the Cal interference is that interference is never called. Ever.

Ya gotta let this go. There is the every-zone-entry-interference that they never call, and then there is what he did. I was interference and should have been called. It was not Detriot bias.

Ya gotta let this go. There is the every-zone-entry-interference that they never call, and then there is what he did. I was interference and should have been called. It was not Detriot bias.

It has nothing to do with Detroit. Refs call interference 2% of the time. It's gonna piss me off no matter what when it gets called on us. I try to see it the TrueBlue way (the more interpherences called in general, the better), but I cannot. Edited by qwksndmonster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.