Get ready for Pegula Sports radio

PromoTheRobot

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/01/07/sabres-in-strong-negotiation-position-as-tv-radio-deals-near-end/

This recent column by Alan Pergament at the Buffalo News suggests only the possibility of the Pegulas buying a local Buffalo radio cluster to launch their own sports radio station. I'm going on record to say this is going to happen.

The Sabres radio deal with WGR expires at the end of the season. (The Bills deal expires in 2017.)

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/05/16/pegulas-taking-steps-to-deal-with-tv-and-digital-media-issues-involving-bills-and-sabres/

The above link from last May details how the Pegulas retained media consultant Steve Greenberg to assess media strategies. This is the same guy who consulted them during their purchase of the Bills.

So I hope WGR savors its final few months as a sports talk monopoly.

Could happen, but honestly, I don't know why they would want to. They have their own shows on WGR already, plus tons of access to them. I guess you could say that they don't like the hosts being critical, but I don't think they care that much, and if the new station is just going to be team propoganda I doubt that'll really challenge WGR for the throne. What do I know though.

If they did that, though, it'd be interesting to see if some faces changed at WGR. Obviously Kevin/Andrew would move, and so would Murph, but I wonder if they wouldn't give Sal his own show, and maybe Matthew Coller, who is an underutilized talent at WGR IMHO. If they did that, and gave those guys reign to be critical of the teams/management/ownership, then you might see it move the dial a bit.

Edited by sabills

Interesting. I've been expecting them to buy WBBZ TV so this is kind of different twist. I can't stand the endless Knocks commercials and this is our town crap. If MSG wanted to make it right here they could start right there and there's no reason to wait for a new contract.

that is largely what WGR already is. this would take the matter to another level, and, frankly, its logical conclusion.

Its funny, I hear some people say that, and other people say "All they do is trash the Bills and Sabres!!!! Go #BIllsMerfia!" so I don't know.

I think the hosts, in general, are VERY critical of the teams when they do stuff wrong. Granted, they glommed on to the Tank thing early, but arguably the organization would have been happier if they shut the hell up about it and let them do it quietly. White and Schopp had been calling for that sort of thing well before the Sabres committed to it, anyways.

But if it already is a propaganda machine, why the hell pay a couple million more than you already have something for a lot cheaper?

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/2016/01/07/sabres-in-strong-negotiation-position-as-tv-radio-deals-near-end/

This recent column by Alan Pergament at the Buffalo News suggests only the possibility of the Pegulas buying a local Buffalo radio cluster to launch their own sports radio station. I'm going on record to say this is going to happen.

The Sabres radio deal with WGR expires at the end of the season. (The Bills deal expires in 2017.)

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/05/16/pegulas-taking-steps-to-deal-with-tv-and-digital-media-issues-involving-bills-and-sabres/

The above link from last May details how the Pegulas retained media consultant Steve Greenberg to assess media strategies. This is the same guy who consulted them during their purchase of the Bills.

So I hope WGR savors its final few months as a sports talk monopoly.

Interesting.

They should be able to do radio far easier / cheaply than reforming a TV station.

WNSA (which was owned by the Sabres owner) was a really good station & it sucked that it was killed. No idea on how well they'll pull it off, but there is a lot of room to improve on what GR does.

GR can NOT be happy about this.

Interesting.

They should be able to do radio far easier / cheaply than reforming a TV station.

WNSA (which was owned by the Sabres owner) was a really good station & it sucked that it was killed. No idea on how well they'll pull it off, but there is a lot of room to improve on what GR does.

It's the Pegulas! It will be world class and work like a charm. Broadcasting Heaven.

I'm not a fan of commentators working directly for the people they're commenting on. It brings into question their objectivity and willingness to criticize. WGR to date is still willing to hold the Bills and Sabres feet to the fire, as does the Buffalo News.

Interesting.

WNSA, you listen to us, we listen to you! ;)

I'm not a fan of commentators working directly for the people they're commenting on. It brings into question their objectivity and willingness to criticize. WGR to date is still willing to hold the Bills and Sabres feet to the fire, as does the Buffalo News.

Agreed, in my opinion the two shows run by the team on WGR are unlistenable. I imagine a network run by them would be more of the same.

I'm actually a fan of this because it may open those time slots to more non-team run shows. I'd love it if Coller or Sal had their own shows during the day or in the evening.

Edited by Lanny

unless this somehow saves me from the horrors that are Rochester sports radio then I don't care.

I like summer.. when I can get WGR in Rochester most of the time.  Fall/Winter I cannot and it leaves me with the hell that is Rochester radio.

Sigh.

Agreed, in my opinion the two shows run by the team on WGR are unlistenable. I imagine a network run by them would be more of the same.

I'm actually a fan of this because it may open those time slots to more non-team run shows. I'd love it if Coller or Sal had their own shows during the day or in the evening.

I agree w/ you.  The team-run shows are really bad.

What did Mike Schopp do wrong?

Is this meant to reference the Terry Pegula on Darcy trope?

In any case, for those asking (and I know I've said stuff like this here before): Schopp is a bright, intelligent guy with an amazing memory (and an immediate recall) and a wry wit.

He also has an ugly habit of being needlessly condescending and unkind toward callers whose ideas may be poorly articulated, half-formed in terms of their internal logic, uninteresting to him, similar to commonly stated positions (or rooted in widely held misconceptions), or otherwise not as intellectually rigorous as Schopp thinks they should be.

Maybe it's a product of the job. Maybe he just can't abide the mouth-breathers and the #BillsMafia types. But the disdain that he exudes at times is enough for me to turn off his show on the regular.

That said, I feel like nowadays he and Bulldog take far fewer calls (at least on their regular show), and so I don't find myself being annoyed with him as much as I used to be in the past.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Is this meant to reference the Terry Pegula on Darcy trope?

In any case, for those asking (and I know I've said stuff like this here before): Schopp is a bright, intelligent guy with an amazing memory (and an immediate recall) and a wry wit.

He also has an ugly habit of being needlessly condescending and unkind toward callers whose ideas may be poorly articulated, half-formed in terms of their internal logic, uninteresting to him, similar to commonly stated positions (or rooted in widely held misconceptions), or otherwise not as intellectually rigorous as Schopp thinks they should be.

Maybe it's a product of the job. Maybe he just can't abide the mouth-breathers and the #BillsMafia types. But the disdain that he exudes at times is enough for me to turn off his show on the regular.

That said, I feel like nowadays he and Bulldog take far fewer calls (at least on their regular show), and so I don't find myself being annoyed with him as much as I used to be in the past.

I agree with a lot of that, and I think the bold is exactly spot on. He's just tired of it. Unfortunately that means he'll cut off people that don't deserve it sometimes. When they do caller heavy shows I generally turn them off; half because the callers are terrible and half because he's terrible to the callers.

There are times where Schopp is definitely a bit too harsh on callers for my liking, but I generally like when he asks callers for stats or proof to back up their points. If you have a point, and claim it as fact, you should be able to defend it with facts as well. It's more so the way he words things, pulls no punches, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Agree with the above also, his memory seems unreal sometimes.

Edited by clintwestwood

When they do caller heavy shows I generally turn them off; half because the callers are terrible and half because he's terrible to the callers.

perfectly stated.

his memory seems unreal sometimes.

he has literally made me stop in my tracks at times - the stuff he just pulls out of thin air.

There are times where Schopp is definitely a bit too harsh on callers for my liking, but I generally like when he asks callers for stats or proof to back up their points. If you have a point, and claim it as fact, you should be able to defend it with facts as well. It's more so the way he words things, pulls no punches, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. Agree with the above also, his memory seems unreal sometimes.

I've got no problems with a talk show host calling out the callers because for the most part they usually call in with nothing substantial. What aggravates me is that he's often times guilty of the same thing.

With that said, I rarely listen to any of the call-in shows any more. Every once in a while I'll turn it on if I need a good laugh. I noticed how WGR slowly phased out the call-in portion of the Sabres post game.

I've got no problems with a talk show host calling out the callers because for the most part they usually call in with nothing substantial. What aggravates me is that he's often times guilty of the same thing.

With that said, I rarely listen to any of the call-in shows any more. Every once in a while I'll turn it on if I need a good laugh. I noticed how WGR slowly phased out the call-in portion of the Sabres post game.

If I was king of sports media my first two initiatives would be:

1) Phasing out call-in portions of shows (special exemptions allowed, to be determined by me, ie the day after Ralph died, when the Pegulas got the Bills, etc.)

2) Phasing out meaningless post-game interviews with players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.