Weber's pinching

Doohickie

What's up with that?  Several posters have noticed it.

I'll tell you what I think it's about:  I think DD is introducing his system to the team in pieces.  With only part of the system in place, frankly, it looks like .  But I think we'll start noticing changes coming as Bylsma introduces new aspects of the system.  I think Weber's pinching is part of that. 

We've been disappointed by the lack of scoring, but I think the latest wrinkle has to do with having the D more aggressively join the offense.  Weber's pinching, Risto swept in on the third goal tonight and the third goal of his hat trick, that kind of thing... the defensmen are activating on offense.

Maybe DD has been preaching defense first and now it's time to think about offense.

The other thing that I think is going on has to do with the dump and chase that everyone despises.  I think Bylsma wants the team to know how to grind out a game, basically eat minutes, which is a valuable skill to know when ahead late in a close game.  So he has them dumping and chasing and digging things out along the boards, because it's a good way to keep an opposing team pinned down. 

This is a style that some players have readily adapted to, but others, most notably Eichel, are not used to that.  Maybe he's used to attacking off the rush and that's not what the rest of the team is doing.

With the activation of the defense, I think maybe we'll begin to see other dimensions added to the team's play, which will hopefully including more carrying the puck in on the rush rather than dumping and chasing.  If that's the case, look for Jack to get more comfortable.  Look for Moulson to start to play his game more and start scoring, look for more creativity. 

But before he wanted to turn them loose to create, he wanted to make sure the system the team was running will cover for the creating player to make sure all the defensive responsibilities are covered by the rest of the team.

I see Dan Bylsma in two possible lights:  One is that he's a competent but not terribly intelligent coach who, given a mature team with lots of talent, can run the ship okay.  The other possibility is that Dan is a student of the game and has laid out a plan for his development of the team. 

The early phases of that development involves establishing responsibilities and positional awareness.  Learn how to play sound hockey, but stick to his rules.  Under those conditions it only makes sense that scoring would be hard to come by.  At some point soon I hope, Bylsma will start to encourage the really talented players to start creating, and when it happens, the back end will be covered.  So we could go from losing 3-2 two winning 5-3 in a relatively short period.

I'm just a fan; I've never played hockey above a beer league level.  I don't do fantasy sports.  I just watch the games and pick a few things up here on SabreSpace.  So I can't break any of this down into great detail really; but on a high level, I think this might be what's happening.  It's either that, or GMTM hired the wrong coach.

He might not always hit the net, but you can't question his effort.

I'm probably his biggest supporter on this forum but I'm not sure his shooting accuracy is really anyone's bitch with him. It's usually his foot speed, lack of defensive awareness or passing ability that people question. All of which are valid. IMHO, he brings what few other D on this roster being. Sandpaper. Risto will use it when he wants and Bogo has plenty but it's Mike's biggest and maybe only asset.

I'm probably his biggest supporter on this forum but I'm not sure his shooting accuracy is really anyone's bitch with him. It's usually his foot speed, lack of defensive awareness or passing ability that people question. All of which are valid. IMHO, he brings what few other D on this roster being. Sandpaper. Risto will use it when he wants and Bogo has plenty but it's Mike's biggest and maybe only asset.

I apologize. I wasn't sure how else to equate Weber's play to "pinching a loaf". I have no issues with Weber and shooting accuracy. It's not a part of his game I even think about.

Edited by Stads

I'm somewhat dismayed that Inky did not catch the way Stads was drifting with his post, but anyway.

I really like Weber.  Always have, but I feel that pretty soon there will not be a spot for him on the Sabres roster.

He has always been a good soldier, not the most skilled, but always gave his all.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I'm somewhat dismayed that Inky did not catch the way Stads was drifting with his post, but anyway.

I really like Weber.  Always have, but I feel that pretty soon there will not be a spot for him on the Sabres roster.

He has always been a good soldier, not the most skilled, but always gave his all.

I bet he sticks around.

Tough to play against. Team leader. Not injury prone for his style of play. 

I wonder if anyone read the whole original post.  It started with Weber but used that as a jumping off point for where I think Bylsma is taking the team.  But the comments are primarily about Weber.

Or is the OP just too much like the Unibomber's manifesto (stylistically)?

I wonder if anyone read the whole original post.  It started with Weber but used that as a jumping off point for where I think Bylsma is taking the team.  But the comments are primarily about Weber.

Or is the OP just too much like the Unibomber's manifesto (stylistically)?

I read it. 

Yes.

But still went looking for this thread this morning, so I think you can pull the match away from the fuse now. :P

How about Franson's pinch to set up the first goal?

Seemed to catch the Hawks completely off guard.

What I'm not sure about is weather this is DDB installing another portion of his game plan, or weather he is letting his players make plays.

Dans game plan has a lot of structure which has worked wonders in improving our defensive zone coverage, breakouts, puck possession and reducing odd man rushes.

What we have not seen yet is offence.

I haven't decided if that's about the system restricting creativity, or the players not being comfortable enough in it yet to know how to push the envelope.

Eichel's play could be a case in point of the former, Reinhart's improvement an example of the latter.

Others are saying the lack of offence is about lack of talent, but I don't think so.

There are too many players with track records for offence.

I'm willing to give it time. This was always a transitional year for me anyway.

Edited by dudacek

What I'm not sure about is weather this is DDB installing another portion of his game plan, or weather he is letting his players make plays.

Yes.  Both.

I haven't decided if that's about the system restricting creativity, or the players not being comfortable enough in it yet to know how to push the envelope.

Eichel's play could be a case in point of the former, Reinhart's improvement an example of the latter.

Again, a bit of both.  I think your comment nails it for both Eichel and Reinhart.  I think he gave Eichel free rein for the first part of the season, and more recently has pushed him to play as part of the system.  I think that as we get past Christmas, Eichel gets the system and learns to play off the creativity of his linemates.

I hear the weather is fine in the woods around Erie, PA.

:P

You're correct.  It's been beautiful.

Maybe one day I can proof read better than auto-spell correct can fix my typing skills. 

But hey, what fun would that be?!

BTW, good to see you back and enjoying my back-Woods vocabulary.  :rolleyes:

You're correct.  It's been beautiful.

Maybe one day I can proof read better than auto-spell correct can fix my typing skills. 

But hey, what fun would that be?!

BTW, good to see you back and enjoying my back-Woods vocabulary.  :rolleyes:

I noticed that too.  I let it ride.  I must be feeling mellow today.

I noticed that too.  I let it ride.  I must be feeling mellow today.

I just thought you got tired of beating this old dead vocabulary challenged horse. :D

OOOOO Wait!

It's not me, it's the phone.

Yeah, that's it. It's the phone.

Can't remember who taught me that one????? :ph34r:

We've been disappointed by the lack of scoring, but I think the latest wrinkle has to do with having the D more aggressively join the offense.  Weber's pinching, Risto swept in on the third goal tonight and the third goal of his hat trick, that kind of thing... the defensmen are activating on offense.

But before he wanted to turn them loose to create, he wanted to make sure the system the team was running will cover for the creating player to make sure all the defensive responsibilities are covered by the rest of the team.

I see Dan Bylsma in two possible lights:  One is that he's a competent but not terribly intelligent coach who, given a mature team with lots of talent, can run the ship okay.  The other possibility is that Dan is a student of the game and has laid out a plan for his development of the team. 

The early phases of that development involves establishing responsibilities and positional awareness.  Learn how to play sound hockey, but stick to his rules.  Under those conditions it only makes sense that scoring would be hard to come by.  At some point soon I hope, Bylsma will start to encourage the really talented players to start creating, and when it happens, the back end will be covered.  So we could go from losing 3-2 two winning 5-3 in a relatively short period.

Good insight.   However, I'm not sure I agree.

Early in the season Buffalo was out shooting every team almost 2-1 on a nightly basis.   They ranked 3rd in CorsiFor% and were generating a ton of scoring chances, they looked fantastic.    Something changed along the way and they're no longer generating the same number of scoring chances they were back in October, early Nov.   They've dropped all the way down to 20th in CF%.    Why is that?  Maybe TM told him to dial it down?  

They also still look like ###### in their own end at times.   It looks like they're killing a penalty with a passive 4 man box and guy in the middle of the box just standing there.   Maybe DD realizes we're too slow footed on defense to chase, but it's awfully annoying to watch and reminds me of the tank years.   

Edited by pi2000

I just thought you got tired of beating this old dead vocabulary challenged horse. :D

OOOOO Wait!

It's not me, it's the phone.

Yeah, that's it. It's the phone.

Can't remember who taught me that one????? :ph34r:

:flirt:

It's always the phone.

Damn phone.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.