Matt Moulson...Wha Happened?

Ghost of Dwight Drane

We know his game relies on someone to create space for him. Jack and Evander haven't showed us that ability yet. Ennis has struggled. We can't depend on O'Reilly to jumpstart everyone.

I know some would disagree, but I think Moulson has been working his ass off.

It looks more and more likely that he just can't get it done anymore, but I do still wonder what he would be doing if Jack was playing like the 30/30 centre we hoped he could be this year.

Edited by dudacek

Although I think Moulson is slow and alot of what was said in this thread is true, the game the team plays is too fast for him but he is still getting to areas where the puck is finding him he just isn't burying his chances. You would have to think those chances will start going in eventually, right?

We know his game relies on someone to create space for him. Jack and Evander haven't showed us that ability yet. Ennis has struggled. We can't depend on O'Reilly to jumpstart everyone.

It looks more and more likely that he just can't get it done anymore, but I do still wonder what he would be doing if Jack was playing like the 30/30 centre we hoped he could be this year.

Before last game he was on pace for over 50 points, so it's not like he's far off. 

I couldn't agree more. I think the guy is putting in an honest effort, it just looks like his skills are betraying him. Hopefully it's just a prolonged slump, because that contract...

I blame his stick. STX sticks are hated by pretty much everyone, but he's stuck with the sponsorship deal. I bet if he stopped using them he'd get his game back. I'll hang up and listen.

A company signed an endorsement deal with Matt Moulson? Seriously? Talk about fireable offenses...

To this point, one thing I haven't really seen this year is players just going through the motions. To me at least, everyone is always giving good effort, it just has varying degrees of success because we have a lot of young parts with undeveloped skill and old parts with declining skill. A lot of credit for that certainly has to go to the coaches and the veterans. 

Matt's as likable a guy as there can be, and I hope he can start putting the puck in. He used to have great finishing ability, and he's had chances this year, I think it'll come back even if his footspeed doesn't.

I couldn't agree more. I think the guy is putting in an honest effort, it just looks like his skills are betraying him. Hopefully it's just a prolonged slump, because that contract...

A company signed an endorsement deal with Matt Moulson? Seriously? Talk about fireable offenses...

To be fair, they're a Lacrosse brand trying to branch out into hockey. And it's not going well. They're lucky they have Matt Moulson. Outside of Hilary Knight, Team STX isn't too loaded...

http://www.stx.com/hockey/team-stx

I too have seen plenty of hustle from Moulson, as well as a good amount of crafty veteran play.  But I've also seen a number of missed conversions from his sweet spot around the net, which could indicate an age-related decline in his special hand-eye talent.  That talent is his money maker, and without it, he's JAG, and a salary cap albatross.

To be fair, they're a Lacrosse brand trying to branch out into hockey. And it's not going well. They're lucky they have Matt Moulson. Outside of Hilary Knight, Team STX isn't too loaded...

I have read enough reports to assume the practice is widespread, but FYI, players often play with their preferred stick from their preferred company, but get it painted to match their sponsor's gear.

I too have seen plenty of hustle from Moulson, as well as a good amount of crafty veteran play.  But I've also seen a number of missed conversions from his sweet spot around the net, which could indicate an age-related decline in his special hand-eye talent.  That talent is his money maker, and without it, he's JAG, and a salary cap albatross.

So many of those shots seem pathetic, too.  Like all he can do anymore is jam it in the pads.

I have read enough reports to assume the practice is widespread, but FYI, players often play with their preferred stick from their preferred company, but get it painted to match their sponsor's gear.

This does happen. It used to be more common with goalie gear. I think it's happening less now because manufacturers are more willing to customize their gear pretty much any way a sponsored player wants it. 

It's settled, then: time to start a GoFundMe for whatever it would cost him to breach the contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.