John Rigas dying from cancer - release him from prison?

SDS

Unless the person drowning puppies did so because they were retired and needed the dog food for themself because they had Adelphia stock in their 401k.

If you had a fund in your 401(k) that bought Adelphia stock and you lost enough money to have to eat dog food, you're 401(k) investment company did a greater disservice to you than Adelphia.

Looks like the court said no

Former #Sabres owner & cable exec John Rigas will remain in federal prison for now. His atty tells me a judge denied request for bail. @wgrz

Judge apparently agreed with the government that a "strict legal case" for bail was not met. Cold.

Edited by pASabreFan

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly neutral on the whole thing. It all seems like a distant memory. 

I do tend to err on the side of agreeing that small mercies should be granted when possible.

Of course, if this guy didn't have money, he likely would be dying in prison.

Well if he didn't have money, he wouldn't have gone to prison, innit?

I think I am missing your point about the connection between his money and release.

Well if he didn't have money, he wouldn't have gone to prison, innit?

I think I am missing your point about the connection between his money and release.

Just that, without money to pay for effective counsel, it's far less likely that he would have been granted this release. Which is to say, it'd be a shame if this sort of mercy were reserved for the wealthy.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe indigent terminally ill prisoners are released with surprising frequency.

Just that, without money to pay for effective counsel, it's far less likely that he would have been granted this release. Which is to say, it'd be a shame if this sort of mercy were reserved for the wealthy.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe indigent terminally ill prisoners are released with surprising frequency.

I am talking out my ass, but maybe it's just a form you fill out? *ducks

Back to the topic... if someone is in prison and indigent and dying, wouldn't there have to be free legal representation, like some people get a public defender? How complicated could it have been to decide to release Rigas? Did they really need Johnnie Cochran? Hmmm... maybe. One for the political thread?

Little bit lower. There it is...

Nuh-uh. No way I'm massaging your corns.

Eww.

I know it.

Back to the topic... if someone is in prison and indigent and dying, wouldn't there have to be free legal representation, like some people get a public defender? 

You mean, like pro bono representation? Maybe. Maybe not.

How complicated could it have been to decide to release Rigas? 

I'm not exactly sure. I do know that his initial petition was denied just before Christmas 2015. That fact was widely reported.

Here's what local guru Terry Connors said to WBEN after that petition was denied:

Connor says from here, the judge may hold a briefing or even a hearing on the merits for both the legal reasons and the compassionate release, examining the medical records and affidavits submitted to determine if he's met his burden to fulfil the criteria for a release.

"It looks to me, though, because the bail was denied," Connors said, "that the judge does not feel that the claims for legal challenges are substantial. Therefore that would leave him with primarily his request for compassionate release which also has specific criteria."

From the news article:

Thompson spokesman Nick Ruffner said the congressman’s office helped the family with “navigating the bureaucratic process.”

“The congressman thanks the professionals at the Bureau of Prisons and Department of Justice for their cooperation in the process,” Ruffner said.

Philadelphia lawyer Lawrence G. McMichael said he worked feverishly all weekend with Bureau of Prisons officials and the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Manhattan to facilitate his client’s release. McMichael has represented Rigas and his son Tim, who remains incarcerated at Canaan in northeast Pennsylvania.

I think the question is, why isn't this the policy for all non-violent criminals?

And it's a good question, to boot.

In a lot of cases, maybe even the overwhelming majority, the state would end up paying for the incarcerated person's last days, anyway.

Edited by Eleven

I think the question is, why isn't this the policy for all non-violent criminals?

Do we know that it isn't?

I know it's anecdotal, but I know a story in my area of a nonviolent drug offender who was released in his final days to spend time with his family, and he wasn't well connected, wealthy family.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.