GDT: New Jersey @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm ET, 12/15/2015

Doohickie

It's gotta be tough, he's lost some speed and overall jump since the start of the season, it's pretty evident, and when he's with Kane it's almost like he's even less interested.

The season is twice as long as what he's used to.  He may be banged up, he may be a little tired.

He should never be with Kane.

I saw a good part of the first period and my impression at that point was that Kane and Eichel were starting to mesh; they had a few rushes that *almost* resulted in a good scoring chance.  It seemed like the timing between them is getting closer to synching.

I suspect that DD pairs them purposely to get Eichel skating.  Of course if Eichel doesn't have enough "base miles" (a bicycling term), he will hit the wall long before the game is over and will look pretty awful if he tries to push himself beyond that.  I don't want to say it's "conditioning" with the implication that he's not keeping himself in good shape, but I think Jack does need to increase his stamina.

I saw a good part of the first period and my impression at that point was that Kane and Eichel were starting to mesh; they had a few rushes that *almost* resulted in a good scoring chance. It seemed like the timing between them is getting closer to synching.

I suspect that DD pairs them purposely to get Eichel skating. Of course if Eichel doesn't have enough "base miles" (a bicycling term), he will hit the wall long before the game is over and will look pretty awful if he tries to push himself beyond that. I don't want to say it's "conditioning" with the implication that he's not keeping himself in good shape, but I think Jack does need to increase his stamina.

And while he's working on that, Bylsma could help him out and stop feeding him 19 minutes every night.

How long is it going to take Kane and Eichel to adjust to each other? Seriously, if they can get on the same page, the ROR line won't be our top line any longer.

I don't think their hockey instincts are even remotely compatible, so maybe never.

How long is it going to take Kane and Eichel to adjust to each other?  Seriously, if they can get on the same page, the ROR line won't be our top line any longer.

Two puck carriers who are already hampered by playing for a coach who prefers dump and chase are not destined to be successful together.

And while he's working on that, Bylsma could help him out and stop feeding him 19 minutes every night.

Excellent point.

Edited by eleven

I don't think their hockey instincts are even remotely compatible, so maybe never.

I think it's worth serious consideration.  If Jack finds his legs and can sync up with Kane, the resulting line could disembowel opposing defenses.

Well, I don't feel like talking about the game now!

Yet here you are.  Face it, you just can't quit it.

Eichel's stamina is going to take time to develop. All the working out in the world couldn't instill it in him. He's gotta log minutes, grow into his body and the game ... get a bit more grown-man-strong.

And yeah. Give him some time on wing and a few fewer minutes per game.

I think it's worth serious consideration. If Jack finds his legs and can sync up with Kane, the resulting line could disembowel opposing defenses.

I get that, and I think it's exactly Bylsma's thinking. My counterpoint would be you don't want to force something like than on Eichel while he's still trying to figure out his game in the NHL. Now he has to learn the league and come up with the right way to play off Kane at the same time...I just think it a negative for his development. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Eichel's stamina is going to take time to develop. All the working out in the world couldn't instill it in him. He's gotta log minutes, grow into his body and the game ... get a bit more grown-man-strong.

And yeah. Give him some time on wing and a few fewer minutes per game.

I think that's true.  Compare to Dylan Larkin, who averages 2 minutes less (18:58 vs. 16:50 avg per game).  I think this comes from the fact that that the Sabres have a young team where half the players are new to the team, and the team doesn't have adequate depth, so DD rides the top lines too hard.

I get that, and I think it's exactly Bylsma's thinking. My counterpoint would be you don't want to force something like than on Eichel while he's still trying to figure out his game in the NHL. Now he has to learn the league and come up with the right way to play off Kane at the same time...I just think it a negative for his development.

I get that, too.  It's a reasonable opinion.  We'll have to see how it plays out.  I think if he leaves Eichel with Kane but reduces the minutes played things might start to gel better between them.  Like I said, I liked what I saw early in the game.

I know that the centers for the top 2 lines were on a whole nuther level but, DD was known to ride his top 6 hard in Pitt too.  It may not be the personnel as much as it may be his coaching philosophy.

Girgensons hasn't shown the ability to be an offensive threat at all this season, so how do you justify putting him in the #2 pivot slot?  Break up our best line to get Reinhart at center to relieve Eichel?  It's a dilemma.  There is real risk in losing the only consistent offence we have if we separate Reinhart from O'Reilly..

Not enough depth in players with good offensive ability yet.

I think if he leaves Eichel with Kane but reduces the minutes played things might start to gel better between them.  Like I said, I liked what I saw early in the game.

And I recall liking what they did early in the season too. Lots of chances.

But eleven's point is well-taken: Both want to carry the mail; the coach's approach seems to be skewed toward dump and chase.

Girgensons hasn't shown the ability to be an offensive threat at all this season, 

My biggest disappointment of the season.

Not enough depth in players with good offensive ability yet.

That's a system issue as much as a personnel issue.  All 4 lines are still trying to figure out how to play the way DD wants them to I think.  Nolan's system was so simple (skate harder!) that the learning curve was brief.  I think DD is asking them to play a much more involved game.

Samson played a good, but frustrating, game. He had a lot of good looks. It's pretty awesome how strong he is on the puck.

Despite the fact that Eichel is faster, Samson utilizes his speed much more effectively. Samson might actually be quicker than Jack at this point. He gets the benefit of playing alongside O'Reilly, easily our best forward.

Larsson and Zemgus had another good effort, but they really need to start finding one another in the offensive zone. Gionta was Gionta: he tried hard the whole time and was ineffective for much of it.

Adding to what many others have said about Kane and Eichel, yikes. These guys don't create space for one another whatsoever. Kane just uselessly dumped in the puck (a bit too far) to himself all night, and Eichel continued to play without confidence. Was Moulson out there?

I thought Franson had a pretty nice game. Rasmus needs to take over on offense more. Too many point shots coming from 47 instead of 55.

Samson played a good, but frustrating, game. He had a lot of good looks. It's pretty awesome how strong he is on the puck.

Despite the fact that Eichel is faster, Samson utilizes his speed much more effectively. Samson might actually be quicker than Jack at this point. He gets the benefit of playing alongside O'Reilly, easily our best forward.

Larsson and Zemgus had another good effort, but they really need to start finding one another in the offensive zone. Gionta was Gionta: he tried hard the whole time and was ineffective for much of it.

Adding to what many others have said about Kane and Eichel, yikes. These guys don't create space for one another whatsoever. Kane just uselessly dumped in the puck (a bit too far) to himself all night, and Eichel continued to play without confidence. Was Moulson out there?

I thought Franson had a pretty nice game. Rasmus needs to take over on offense more. Too many point shots coming from 47 instead of 55.

I can't stand watching these two play together.   Kane tries to do it all on his own, often turning the puck over and you can see the frustration on Eichel's face.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.