Josh Gorges - Valuable Contributor or Liability?

Thwomp!

Taking a queue from SDS in the Risto thread, I am curious what the current thought of the Sabrespace community are in regards to Gorges' play this year.  Stats-wise, in 25 games, he has 1 goal and 3 assists and has an even +/-.  He's never been a "stats" guy though.

My opinion is that his play has been better than expected coming back from a serious injury.  He's also been a solid veteran presence to pair with Risto, which has improved Risto's performance.  I had my doubts coming into the year that he was going to be useful on our team going forward, but his play has caused me to reconsider that and I am pleasantly surprised.

Some of the comments from the Risto thread to help get things started:

Odd question in Rasmus discussion...  ;)

They've been paired all season.

I was wondering if people thought one was carrying the other.

I think it is more a matter of the style of play than the pairing.

Last year Gorges was asked to turtle in and catch bullets.....he did, and his body paid the price.

This year, the Sabres are getting the puck out of the zone quickly, and they are spending a lot more time up ice.

Better for Gorges. 

Some more good ones to add:

Were there a lot of them? True hated him the most from what I remember

I'm still here.    He's dust.    Slower than Weber, doesn't fit the style this team is playing.

Playing very well in his own zone doesn't fit our style?  His speed looks fine to me.

Correct. Every other major league athlete to have microfracture surgery has come back as a shell of their former self. Gorges seems to have come back just fine (I think it's probably because hockey is easier on the knees than say basketball). I'm fine with his play and I'm no longer itching to buy him out. But he'll never be the type of defenseman I try to populate my blue line with.

I love you man!!!

:wub:   

Simply, I think you have the player GMTM wanted this year. 

Solid guy that is able to play within himself, carries his lunch-pail, and doesn't need accolades. 

He's more comfortable taking a quieter role this year. 

He can block a shot when you need one blocked. 

He's not going to light up the offensive zone. 

At 20 min a game we aren't noticing him much. 

That's because he's doing his job. 

This is the Gorges I remember from Montreal.

This is a guy that hated the tank with every ounce of his being. No skill whatsoever, but he knows how to play the game.

Well worth a 2nd-rounder given the stability he is providing for Risto and the others.

Agreed. I have been more than pleasantly surprised. Following a difficult surgery, I expected a tire fire.

This^  It was looking like he'd be a prime candidate for new "whipping boy" but he's taken himself out of consideration, which is tough to do.  

Again, another player who...surprise, surprise...plays better when healthy. Ok, I have a bad knee right now so maybe I'm looking at it from that point of view, but healthy players play better. 

He is solid. Watch how he blocks out players in from of the net. I guess you could say he has a "big butt" because opposing players have a tough time trying to push by him. He sticks his rear end out very well to stop forwards from operating around the paint. That's a good skill to have 

Again, another player who...surprise, surprise...plays better when healthy. Ok, I have a bad knee right now so maybe I'm looking at it from that point of view, but healthy players play better. 

He is solid. Watch how he blocks out players in from of the net. I guess you could say he has a "big butt" because opposing players have a tough time trying to push by him. He sticks his rear end out very well to stop forwards from operating around the paint. That's a good skill to have 

Couldn't resist channeling LGR here, but it sounds like you're saying:

Couldn't resist channeling LGR here, but it sounds like you're saying:

With respect, I prefer this homage at ~2:40 specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkKXfPioU-c

I don't care what his stats are.

The only stat I care about in this case is this ... he waved his NTC to come to the Sabres when they were in a dumpster that was about to be set afire.

The cherry on top is that he nixed a trade to the Leafs and choose the Sabres.

For all the "Blue collar Buffalo" talk you'd think more posters would think like this.

Especially for a guy who sacrifices his body the way Gorges does.

I don't care what his stats are.

The only stat I care about in this case is this ... he waved his NTC to come to the Sabres when they were in a dumpster that was about to be set afire.

The cherry on top is that he nixed a trade to the Leafs and choose the Sabres.

Could say the same goes for Moulson.

Reminds me of a Benny Hill skit where Benny played a soccer goalie named "Hugh Jass".  Benny would make a save off his butt and the announcer would say, "To make a great save like that, you really need a Hugh Jass."

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.