Marvel and DC Comics superthread

LGR4GM

I love the Marvel movies for the most part.  I was never a big comic book kid but the movies are fun.  The Dark Knight well not Marvel was also such a wonderful film, Heath Ledger was brilliant. So for all the nerds on Sabrespace have at it.

This dropped last night...

Damn, can't wait to see this movie. For people into comic book heroes, Star Wars, etc...., this a fantastic time to be a movie goer. Marvel and DC are releasing movies left and right. Disney will be releasing a Star Wars movie every year through at least 2019. 3 of them will be a part of the main storyline. Other 2 will be spinoffs. One being the origins of Han Solo. But yes, this Civl War flick looks awesome. A good number of Avengers are in it. Spiderman is also in this movie!  

Thank you for posting this trailer, LGR!  

Edited by Thanes16

It looks like it will have a bit of a similar feel to Winter Solider, a bit more of the political thriller.  Hopefully that winds up being the case.  That fight between Cap/Bucky and Stark looks like it should be fun.

I thought the same thing after watching the trailer. I loved Winter Solder, so I too hope this is the case. Trailer looks really good.

It is being directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, who did Winter soldier, and who are scheduled to do the 2 part Avengers finale. Very good news indeed all around.

I'll definitely catch this movie. My daughter is my usual sidekick, she loves Marvel.

I had many comic books from the early 70's and the Avengers were my favourites followed by the X-Men. Loved the teams more than the individuals.

You and I are in the same boat. A great one to be in of course. 

The most recent Marvel movie I saw was Ant Man. I read some pretty positive reviews, but man did it sour me on Marvel.

It didn't really bring anything fun or new to the table. The main character was apparently a criminal who doesn't act anything like a criminal, and then the technology he uses to get small is all of the sudden the only power anyone wants so of course the bad guy has it too.

It felt very by-the-book, which is usually when I bow out. Nothing is worse to me than a movie which tries nothing.

The most recent Marvel movie I saw was Ant Man. I read some pretty positive reviews, but man did it sour me on Marvel.

It didn't really bring anything fun or new to the table. The main character was apparently a criminal who doesn't act anything like a criminal, and then the technology he uses to get small is all of the sudden the only power anyone wants so of course the bad guy has it too.

It felt very by-the-book, which is usually when I bow out. Nothing is worse to me than a movie which tries nothing.

This is Marvel's thing. "Hey, we're out of movies until the next Avengers sequel, what should we do?"

'Let's take a character that pretty much, no one knows and do a movie about him.'

Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the least read comic books ever. But if you slap Marvel on something, people will go see it.

Now, Guardians turned out to be a lot of fun, and I liked it. But that doesn't mean marvel isn't just throwing at the wall and seeing what sticks.

That's why I dislike the movie avatar. It was predictable and dances with aliens

Ya, seems to be a lot of split reactions on Ant-Man. I didn't think it was amazing, but I liked it for the humor. Thought it was quite funny, actually. Paul Rudd was likeable.

Also, having Evangeline Lilly in it didn't hurt.

Paul Rudd is a very good actor. Kate from lost is... eh.

Bah!

I have only seen it once, been meaning to watch it again, but I remember all the Baskin-Robbins stuff near the beginning being really funny.

The action set pieces were decent, but nothing special. Mainly I enjoyed it for the performances by the actors who seemed to be invested in it, but overall I'd say it was probably a middle of the road Marvel movie.

Not a bad thing, as generally the quality of these movies has been high, I would say. I am a little worried that franchise fatigue may set in, but as previously mentioned I really like Anthony Russo and Joe Russo and they are directing several of the movies going forward, so I'm excited. The Civil War trailer looked great.

It'll be cool to see Spider-Man in the MCU, even if it's like the 52nd iteration of the character in the last decade or so.

Edited by Thorny

This is Marvel's thing. "Hey, we're out of movies until the next Avengers sequel, what should we do?"

'Let's take a character that pretty much, no one knows and do a movie about him.'

Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the least read comic books ever. But if you slap Marvel on something, people will go see it.

Now, Guardians turned out to be a lot of fun, and I liked it. But that doesn't mean marvel isn't just throwing ###### at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Eh, Kevin Feige has like 30 years or something ridiculous of MCU movies planned out in his office. It's definitely not flinging poop to see what sticks. And to be fair, Iron Man was never one of the biggest Marvel heroes until the movie ended up being a huge success.

Plus, with original contracts running out and the expense of negotiating new ones, they either need to introduce new characters in a systematic manner or re-cast the roles. Personally I'm happy to get new characters to keep things fresh.

With this attitude you miss out on a bunch of some of the most enjoyable movies out there :)

I see nothing wrong with a by the book movie as long as it's well executed. After all, these are combo action/comedy movies, so I'm not going in expecting the wheel to be reinvented (and it's not like they can have a Winter Solider-like world change in every movie). Now having said that, I do think they're struggling to create compelling villains, especially in the sequels. And that's a problem. I mean, Malekith AZ hilarious one-dimensional. Again, I'm not looking for Oscar-worthy writing here, but something like Die Hard 1/3 isn't asking too much.

I usually go to see the comic/book inspired movies, but as more and more sequels come out, I am less interested.  

I like them better when there is 'time off' from a theme, or a re-launch of it.

I loved the First Iron Man movie...the sequels not so much. To me the best part about any movie like this is to see the 'introduction' of a character...or to see characters 'together' for the first time.

I'll still probably see most of these movies, just after the first 1 or 2, I kinda need a break from the concept to enjoy them the most.

Eh, Kevin Feige has like 30 years or something ridiculous of MCU movies planned out in his office. It's definitely not flinging poop to see what sticks. And to be fair, Iron Man was never one of the biggest Marvel heroes until the movie ended up being a huge success.

That the most amazing thing about what they've been able to do. All of Marvel's most popular characters were already owned by other studios.

All good points there, TrueBlue.

And I agree on the Villains. I can say though that I am very excited for Thanos. There's been a lot of buildup.

Holding out any hope for him?

For sure, although at least some of that is because I think Brolin will be able to make it work even if the writing isn't great. What I'm really hoping for is his motivation is more than "I hate Earth, Earth must die!" Then again, I thought Spader would make Ultron compelling even if the writing wasn't great, and I think the writing was so flat even he couldn't overcome it.

For sure, although at least some of that is because I think Brolin will be able to make it work even if the writing isn't great. What I'm really hoping for is his motivation is more than "I hate Earth, Earth must die!" Then again, I thought Spader would make Ultron compelling even if the writing wasn't great, and I think the writing was so flat even he couldn't overcome it.

Ya, I think they definitely could have utilized Spader more. He did good with what he had but you could see the character wasn't written in an optimal way. His amazing line delivery did shine through in a few notable moments though. Particularly in the scene with Andy Serkis.

With this attitude you miss out on a bunch of some of the most enjoyable movies out there :)

I see nothing wrong with a by the book movie as long as it's well executed. After all, these are combo action/comedy movies, so I'm not going in expecting the wheel to be reinvented (and it's not like they can have a Winter Solider-like world change in every movie). Now having said that, I do think they're struggling to create compelling villains, especially in the sequels. And that's a problem. I mean, Malekith AZ hilarious one-dimensional. Again, I'm not looking for Oscar-worthy writing here, but something like Die Hard 1/3 isn't asking too much.

I don't think we enjoy the same kind of thing.

Scott Pilgrim didn't let its action-comedy genre get in the way of trying something different.

Skyfall was excellent and Spectre was terrible because they actually tried in Skyfall.

There's nothing wrong with movies that have simple plots that you turn your brain off for. But those movies MUST be visually interesting. They need to be built with vivid ideas of visual storytelling.

Ant Man had a gimmick where mini characters were fighting on a toy train. That was a neat idea, and there were a couple cool shots that resulted from it. But that was the only time the movie charmed me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.