GDT: Dallas @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 11/17/2015

WildCard

The Ref screws up doesnt make the offsides call.

The play potentially continues for several minutes and a goal is scored.

Coach challenges a bad non call by the ref:

1. We lose Goal

2. We lose Momentum

3. We lose the the playing time spent between the offisides and the goal.

There is something wrong with this.

To the bolded point, it's not the referee but the linesman. The person whose main job it is to stand on the blue line and call the play on/off-sides. Challenging the off-sides is just beyond me and after 4 challenges go against the Sabres I'm left feeling very salty. Why can't they institute a challenge to question off-sides calls that call the play dead. If the coaches win the refs can spend 10 minutes re-positioning everyone on the ice to re-create the momentum of the rush

Would we all be so upset if the dice had rolled the other way and the Sabres have been given 4 goals? Of course not, but it still ruins the game. Momentum is real and the team deflates when they lose the challenge and the opponent is essentially given a mulligan and they really tighten up after the breather. If they really care about getting the calls right they'd have an officiating team off the ice looking at everything with a microscope and be given the ability to whistle the play dead. Give them a radio headset so they can buzz the officials on the ice and say "hey, 42 white cross-checked 12 blue behind the play, issue a penalty"...there are more sensible ways to fix this than a challenge.

Edited by mustacheofgod

I still stand by what I've been suggesting for years. The linesmen need to have a little box off the ice right on the blue line. Kind of like a line judge so they can focus on the blue line at all times. This way they're off the ice creating less congestion and they would have the ability to enter the ice when needed.

To the bolded point, it's not the referee but the linesman. The person whose main job it is to stand on the blue line and call the play on/off-sides. Challenging the off-sides is just beyond me and after 4 challenges go against the Sabres I'm left feeling very salty. Why can't they institute a challenge to question off-sides calls that call the play dead. If the coaches win the refs can spend 10 minutes re-positioning everyone on the ice to re-create the momentum of the rush

Would we all be so upset if the dice had rolled the other way and the Sabres have been given 4 goals? Of course not, but it still ruins the game. Momentum is real and the team deflates when they lose the challenge and the opponent is essentially given a mulligan and they really tighten up after the breather. If they really care about getting the calls right they'd have an officiating team off the ice looking at everything with a microscope and be given to whistle the play dead. Give them a radio headset so they can buzz the officials on the ice and say "hey, 42 white cross-checked 12 blue behind the play, issue a penalty"...there are more sensible ways to fix this than a challenge.

I understand its the linesmen job to make the call but, its easier to write ref when your pissed.

Thanks for the explination.

I left with 9 minutes to go (which I normally never do) so I missed the fun unfortunatley, sucks to hear of yet another challenge against us.

Ennis could benefit from sitting a game at this point. And as mentioned earlier yes please end the eichel/Ennis experiment

What happened to eichel?!?

Why is Schaller up over someone with more skill/speed, someone has to be better for the short term I'd imagine.

Gionta, is OK in some situation, but game on the line, please keep him on the bench

Samson looks good

Our D is pretty good right now

Ullmark still solid overall.

F Dallas

I understand its the linesmen job to make the call but, its easier to write ref when your pissed.

Thanks for the explination.

I'm not trying to correct you as much as highlight the linesmen, the men on the line, have ONE job, get that call right. If a player is a -hair offsides and they can't see it in real time it shouldn't matter. I am equally pissed so my apologies on that.

If this rule isn't abolished, it needs to be amended, maybe the right to challenge the play disappears after the first shot/rebound attempts have passed, or if the opposing team makes contact with the puck, 

Jack's gotta wake up. He's very passive/still when he doesn't have the puck on his tape. Kinda frustrating. 

Early in the season it seemed like DD let Jack do whatever he wanted.  Now, I suspect, he's try to get Jack to play better with his linemates.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

Early in the season it seemed like DD let Jack do whatever he wanted.  Now, I suspect, he's try to get Jack to play better with his linemates.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

I think he should give him easier minutes. And I think Jack is exhausted, he has never played a schedule like this. I'm certainly not worried long term.

It gets frustrating when he does things that most hockey players can only dream of doing in creating the space he does, and he promptly fires a low-percentage shot into a shin pad or tries to force a pass that isn't there. He'll figure out out of course. This is all part of the ride.

The burn on this one was Lindy was going to call the time-out anyway. 

It was a what the hell challenge. 

Ennis didn't have a skate down, but he didn't have a skate down anywhere,

he jumped airborne to get through obstruction. 

A good lineman isn't going to blow that down. 

It wasn't a mistake. 

It just sucks. 

Someone's gotta go back through the vaults and figure out how many career points Gretzky really has, get rid of the ones that were offside. Is it offside or offsides?

seriously, put an asterisk next to all his records. 

At least the challenge didn't have that big of an effect on the outcome of the game. It's not like we tied it against one of the best teams in the league and had all that momentum grinded to a halt. Oh crap, that's what did happen. I honestly think if we went offside there and Dallas scored a shortie soon after, we should have the right to challenge our own offside. I haven't looked into the challenge system enough to see if this even a possibility.

I liked Koziol's rant about the lack of scoring in the league not necessarily related to the disallowed goal, but the overall situation. It's a disturbing trend of boring, lifeless hockey.

This is what I'm frustrated by.  The two teams out there tonight have breathtaking offensive talent, but it is neutralized by the way the game is played today.  We see a boring game with a bunch of trapping necessitating dump ins, which are promptly followed by the standard post-dump in interference that never gets called. The defender picks up the puck and the same boring scenario is played out in the other direction.  Plus bulked up goalies who don't leave any room to shoot and defensive strategies designed to clog up shooting lanes with shot blockers so shots rarely get through... boring.

...and now we have more rules designed to eliminate goals (retroactive offside calls).  It just doesn't make sense.

This is what I'm frustrated by.  The two teams out there tonight have breathtaking offensive talent, but it is neutralized by the way the game is played today.  We see a boring game with a bunch of trapping necessitating dump ins, which are promptly followed by the standard post-dump in interference that never gets called. The defender picks up the puck and the same boring scenario is played out in the other direction.  Plus bulked up goalies who don't leave any room to shoot and defensive strategies designed to clog up shooting lanes with shot blockers so shots rarely get through... boring.

...and now we have more rules designed to eliminate goals (retroactive offside calls).  It just doesn't make sense.

It's becoming a disturbing trend throughout the league. Those first 50 minutes were dull at best. The last Panthers game was one of the worst games I've ever attended. 10 years ago we had lots of scoring because there were a lot of power plays. Today teams have put so much emphasis on not taking stupid penalties it takes away from the game. Not to mention the league is forcing out fighting, so there are fewer enforcers to take the game to a more physical level which means fewer penalties. It's a lose-lose situation. The league can become more physical and create more power plays, or it can go to a fast, wide open game. Right now, it's neither of these and I can't blame people for not spending the money to attend games.

That does make sense, I figured it was a stupid rule when they instituted it. Offsides should be like calling a ball or strike in baseball.

The humanity.

Foligno played another really nice game. Loving him this year.

Bogo looked to be in mid season form already. Sign of a no BS pro. Nice to see.

Gionta is a 3rd liner at best. Hot Daniel, please stop feeding him Evander Kane's ice time. Pleeeeaaaaasse.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Jim Nill has assembled a hell of a team. 

Every line can hurt you offensively and is defensively responsible. 

Having said that. I really believe Buffalo will be every bit as good as Dallas in a years time. 

Was just thinking the same, Dallas last year was as the same level we are now.   A few good pieces added and they got a good team now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.