The politics of terrorism

Hoss

Mentioned this in the Presidential Politics thread - police have confirmed at least 30 dead in a shooting and 60 hostages held in a concert hall right now.
Explosion near the soccer stadium where France and Germany were playing prompted an evacuation. French president was in the stadium but has been evacuated to safety.

Edited by SDS

The stadium is a madhouse right now. Fans are all over the field in a panic (understandably). It appears there was an attempted suicide bombing near the stadium.

Death toll now up to 40.

Reports on the number of hostages is between 60 and 100. Some appear to have escaped and described two men using pump-action shotguns on the crowd.

Sound of the explosion heard on live television: https://vine.co/v/iBb2x00UVlv

Edited by Hoss

When will the madness end?

Only God knows, but I think He has had just about enough.

Really sucks when thugs claiming to follow the same religion you do #### their understanding of it up this badly. (Based on initial reports it was "Islamic" terrorists.)

NS - please realize that was in no way a shot at you nor your religion. It was purely aimed at the jackals that are no better and no more than Hells Angels w/ turbins instead of Harleys.

Before it gets out of hand with lobbing blame - there are no reports of the origin of these terrorists. There is absolutely nothing indicating that they're followers of Islam or any other religion that I have seen (not saying it's not true, but I've looked very hard for it).

Some are saying on social media that the Islamic State is celebrating the attacks using "Paris on Fire," but a quick search of that term on social media doesn't turn up much.

I hope they get this under control quickly with as little additional death as possible. I also hope they capture a few of the perpetrators alive so we don't have to write our own conclusions.I have a close personal connection to Paris. My heart is broken.

I'm sorry. It is awful.

Theater was an American band playing called Eagles of death

I'm an American who's never lived overseas. I grew up with a certain view of France and the French. Uninformed, but impressions. We all have them.

Two years ago I spent 11 days in Paris with my daughter.

I came away with quite a more informed view. I could write for days about the beauty, grace, and awe inspiring sense of history. Another time, perhaps.

For today, though. When and if perpetrators emerge, they will find they're dealing with a steely, capable, proud and determined adversary in the French.

What do I know ... but that's my better informed impression as of today.

Acknowledgment ... The perpetrators would say the same about themselves ...

I'm sorry. It is awful.

Theater was an American band playing called Eagles of death

Eagles of Death Metal. Has a couple members of Queens of the Stone Age. It is not really heavy metal, as some places are reporting. Not like this is some church burning finnish death metal group with Varg Vikernes involved or anything.

I love Paris. I studied abroad there. It changed my life. It's unreal seeing places I walked by/hung out at daily on the news like this. I've never loved a city or its people quite like Paris. I'm just absolutely in shock. 

Here's a live feed in english. http://www.france24.com/en/livefeed/

Edited by Josie914

Eagles of Death Metal. Has a couple members of Queens of the Stone Age. It is not really heavy metal, as some places are reporting. Not like this is some church burning finnish death metal group with Varg Vikernes involved or anything.

I love Paris. I studied abroad there. It changed my life. It's unreal seeing places I walked by/hung out at daily on the news like this. I've never loved a city or its people quite like Paris. I'm just absolutely in shock.

Here's a live feed in english. http://www.france24.com/en/livefeed/

This is my connection as well. It's a city and a people you can't truly appreciate until you live with them. Once you do, you will love them forever.

Hoss, on 13 Nov 2015 - 5:33 PM, said:

Before it gets out of hand with lobbing blame - there are no reports of the origin of these terrorists. There is absolutely nothing indicating that they're followers of Islam or any other religion that I have seen (not saying it's not true, but I've looked very hard for it).

Some are saying on social media that the Islamic State is celebrating the attacks using "Paris on Fire," but a quick search of that term on social media doesn't turn up much.

There are reports all over the place the attackers were shouting "It's for Syria" at Bataclan and "Allahu Akbar".  There are reports they were suicide bombers.  What else do you need?

There are reports all over the place the attackers were shouting "It's for Syria" at Bataclan and "Allahu Akbar".  There are reports they were suicide bombers.  What else do you need?

I feel comfortable being cautious here. There's ONE station reporting these quotes from the attackers. "Reports" aren't just people on Twitter regurgitating that info. Other stations are not reporting it. Suicide bombers can also be from any walk of life. BFMTV, the reported source of the quotes, has nothing on their website or social media in regards to attackers screaming either thing.

I'm not saying this isn't. I think we should focus on widely-reported facts.

This report says the attackers have been silent in executing hostages:

Escaped hostage from #Bataclan tells #CNN terrorists calmly executed hostages, reloaded, executed again in silence

Edited by Hoss

I feel comfortable being cautious here. There's ONE station reporting these quotes from the attackers. "Reports" aren't just people on Twitter regurgitating that info. Other stations are not reporting it. Suicide bombers can also be from any walk of life.

I'm not saying this isn't. I think we should focus on widely-reported facts.

This report says the attackers have been silent in executing hostages:

Jim Sciutto ‏@jimsciutto  4m4 minutes ago

Escaped hostage from #Bataclan tells #CNN terrorists calmly executed hostages, reloaded, executed again in silence

They can be. So what group do you think it is that is committing these vile acts if not Islamic terrorists? Might they be associated w/ Hans Gruber?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.