GDT: Vancouver at Buffalo, 1pm 11/7/15

Eleven

I'm glad he's Vanc's problem now. X will say it's just a goalie being weird, but I can't understand how this kind of stuff doesn't become a problem in the lockerroom.

Millsie goes off on his teammates:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/ryan+miller+rips+into+canucks+sloppy+defence/11501769/story.html

How about making a save in crunch time?

He's 100% right. Vancouver threw a point away. 

They lost because of sloppy coverage. 

That's not on the goalie. (We'll never agree on that either). 

And I'm glad we don't have this conversation anymore. 

I've never believed hockey players are  thin-skinned. 

Buffalo was outplayed. (as they were on the Island too)

Stupid Vancouver plays  gave this game away. 

And i'm happy. 

A lot of the young guys seem to have a real drive to win.

The team has a lot of talent right now.  They know the situation they're coming into, and also that they're expected to turn it around.  They expect to win.  I think virtually every person on this team will do what they can to become a winner, especially in the sense of playing as a member of a team and taking instruction from coaching.  I think this is very much what Tim Murray looks for in a player.  The ones that didn't fit this mold were traded to Colorado.

The team has a lot of talent right now.  They know the situation they're coming into, and also that they're expected to turn it around.  They expect to win.  I think virtually every person on this team will do what they can to become a winner, especially in the sense of playing as a member of a team and taking instruction from coaching.  I think this is very much what Tim Murray looks for in a player.  The ones that didn't fit this mold were traded to Colorado.

yes. I agree. It's really nice to see.

I'm glad he's Vanc's problem now. X will say it's just a goalie being weird, but I can't understand how this kind of stuff doesn't become a problem in the lockerroom.

Millsie goes off on his teammates:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/ryan+miller+rips+into+canucks+sloppy+defence/11501769/story.html

How about making a save in crunch time?

I really hate how describing the play has becoming synonymous with going off. Do you really prefer cliché after cliché?

I really hate how describing the play has becoming synonymous with going off. Do you really prefer cliché after cliché?

Fair enough. I didn't see the interview, but he probably didn't "go off." He did call out his teammates, and it seems like bad form when you've just given up the winning goal in the dying seconds. Make a save. It wasn't one of those "Miller had no chance" moments we heard about so much here. I can just see the gears grinding in his head as the play unfolds. Based on quotes from the past and even the day before yesterday, I think Miller knows he needs to focus on playing goal. He just can't seem to resist being captain/coach/goalie. When X says hockey players don't take offense to anything, that ignores lockerroom issues that have been going on since the dawn of organized hockey.

P.S. How many goalies in the game give interviews like that?

Fair enough. I didn't see the interview, but he probably didn't "go off." He did call out his teammates, and it seems like bad form when you've just given up the winning goal in the dying seconds. Make a save. It wasn't one of those "Miller had no chance" moments we heard about so much here. I can just see the gears grinding in his head as the play unfolds. Based on quotes from the past and even the day before yesterday, I think Miller knows he needs to focus on playing goal. He just can't seem to resist being captain/coach/goalie. When X says hockey players don't take offense to anything, that ignores lockerroom issues that have been going on since the dawn of organized hockey.

P.S. How many goalies in the game give interviews like that?

Generally players are expected to follow this when talking to the press:

Be truthful, make no guarantees, don't brag, don't name names unless it is positive. 

Miller's always followed that. As much as you want there to be an issue, there really isn't one. 

Players call each other out inside the room. Not out. That's how it works.

The after-game press conference is rarely a reflection of team dynamics.

I remember Captain Chris Drury of the Rangers telling reporters what a great teammate Sean Avery was. 

Inside the room Drury was telling Avery to check his . 

The after-game press conference is rarely a reflection of team dynamics.

I remember Captain Chris Drury of the Rangers telling reporters what a great teammate Sean Avery was. 

Inside the room Drury was telling Avery to check his ######. 

Coat? Zipper? Teeth for broccoli? Ohhh, .

Was at the game with a big group, at least half of which were kids. We were sitting on the blue line of the Sabres shoot once end. When Eichel dangled to set up Moulson (DAMMIT, MOULSON!), the way the crowd rose, half stood, started to cry out ... so fun. We were high-fiving in our section, and we hadn't even scored. Just such joy over having the kid on the team.

At the game also and agree with Smell that was a cool moment that Moulson should have finished. Also, as I have commended his play recently, I now need to condemn his play. Legwand needs to sit a couple games after his performance in yesterdays game.

At the game also and agree with Smell that was a cool moment that Moulson should have finished. Also, as I have commended his play recently, I now need to condemn his play. Legwand needs to sit a couple games after his performance in yesterdays game.

Agree on Legwand.  His last couple of games were rough.  Schaller time.

Maybe overlooked maybe not but the fact that Foligno decided to get that puck back to Risto on the gwg instead of trying to jam it by Millsie or just shoot it speaks volumes on the scouting the Sabres did as well as their gameplan on how to beat Miller. Good job under pressure.

Maybe overlooked maybe not but the fact that Foligno decided to get that puck back to Risto on the gwg instead of trying to jam it by Millsie or just shoot it speaks volumes on the scouting the Sabres did as well as their gameplan on how to beat Miller. Good job under pressure.

It was a really smart play by Foligno. Miller is hard to beat down low. 

Foligno played with him for most of 2 seasons, right?  He didn't need a scouting report to tell him Miller was vulnerable to the deep lob with the game on the line.   :P

Foligno played with him for most of 2 seasons, right?  He didn't need a scouting report to tell him Miller was vulnerable to the deep lob with the game on the line.   :P

Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar! No idea what that means. But I heart u.

Insight. Appreciated. I've watched that goal a dozen times now and I keep wondering if that's really Foligno.

Quick summary about my thoughts on the game:

Legwand was absolutely terrible. I can't even remember how many times he personally failed to clear the zone. Then, he got a hooking call at the end of the 2nd, only to come out of the box and go right back in 10 seconds later on a cross-checking call. He was miserable in the offensive zone on maintaining possession too. Overall a very bad game for him, and I hope Schaller gets the start.

Eichel is, well Eichel. He is impossibly calm in his own end. There was one sequence where we needed a change and the Canucks were on a heavy forecheck in our zone, and Eichel literally just stood there while everyone else sped by him, looked around, and then cleared the zone. It's the same thing everywhere on the ice for him. Everything is just so much slower around him. That said, he shouldn't be on the pk, I have no idea what this league's fascination of putting 18 year old protegees on the pk is (that's how McDavid got hurt). They try to be too offensive, and end up hurt or turning it over like Eichel did.

Ennis was rough, until that last sequence. Needs to get to the net and be more direct.

O'Reilly back-checks like nobody I've ever seen. He unravels an opponents plans in the neutral zone almost sing handedly. Shackling him with Gionta was beyond frustrating, because Gionta again can't do anything along the boards or in tight areas. Moulson was disappointing, as he finally got his opportunity and consistently failed to cash in chances, which is what he got on that line to do.

Larsson, Larsson, Larsson. Good/Great 3rd liner, not a good 2nd liner. Not until he gets more patient in the offensive zone at least. 

Ullmark was incredible. Very poised, never looks like he's overwhelmed out there. You feel like he knows he can start, and be very good, in this league. That kid should have been the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd star. He, and he alone (sorry Risto), won that game for us. He made incredible saves, with some very good anticipation. He is never out of position for the 1st shot; always squared up and aggressive. The 2nd/3rd opportunities are where he gets in trouble. Also, very good at reading through traffic. I noticed it at the game and I started wondering, have any of his goals against been form the point? Or screened? 

Franson, so frustrating. Hit the net, and keep the puck in, Franson. Weber, looking at you too, but in the opposite end. just throwing the puck out of the zone blindly means you and your 4 teammates get to spend the next 45 seconds chasing around the Canucks while Ullmark gets shelled. It was maddening how many times we were inches from getting the puck out, and couldn't do it.

I was at the end Rasmus scored the GWG on, it was beyond cool. Everyone in there started buzzing when Ennis entered the zone, then Rasmus scored and it went nuts. Plus, there was literally a 2-3 minute standing ovation for Miller. They played a tribute to him during, I think, the first commercial break, and everyone got up to applaud. It was a little weird because it rose and fell and rose and fell and rose and fell....people were just waiting to get a damn response from him, and he was just waiting for the video to be over to do it. Really cool move though, and he handled it well. I was paranoid we were going to get the Miller shut out, happy to say we didn't. 

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing. Reinhart is much, much faster in person than on tv. Good to see the kid got a set of wheels on him. Other than that, I really didn't notice too much from him. I would kill to see him back on O'Reilly's wing.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.