GDT: Philadelphia @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm edt, 10/30/2015

WildCard

I noticed that some fans were doing the oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh song that's heard at the Ralph. Not sure if it was spontaneous or if it was initially played over the sound system. I think I like it. That said, let's consider the perils of transplanting too many Bills traditions into the arena. #onebuffalo

(And it would be cooler if it went Bu-uh-uff-ah-lo-oh.)

Do you mean that White Stripes song (Seven Nation Army) that is chanted at every stadium in the world?

Do you mean that White Stripes song (Seven Nation Army) that is chanted at every stadium in the world?

I hunted around for the name of the song but had no luck. Never heard it in a hockey stadium.

Yep that's the one. And now I remember it's part of the Islanders goal celebration.

Edited by pASabreFan

I had the same feeling watching last night. I'm prepared to be schooled if the following observation isn't shared by others. That is, I see ROR playing a game and bringing a dimension similar to that which Toews plays and brings in Chicago.

They're different players, of course. Would anyone spit a beer out if I said that in a bar?

We haven't had leadership like this since Drury/Briere.  Right now it's clear that ROR is head and shoulders above anyone else regarding the leadership on this team.  I see others with the potential to become great leaders which is also encouraging, but for the moment this team belongs to O'Reilly.

We haven't had leadership like this since Drury/Briere.  Right now it's clear that ROR is head and shoulders above anyone else regarding the leadership on this team.  I see others with the potential to become great leaders which is also encouraging, but for the moment this team belongs to O'Reilly.

He's not impressed with himself. I get the feeling Jack isn't either, based on how he was raised. You get enough of these guys who don't blow smoke, at themselves or others, and you might just have something.

Agreed.  The one concern is Kane but I kind of get the impression that as long as Kane does the right stuff on the ice, O'Reilly (and the rest of the team) will tolerate his off-ice antics.  Kane's a big personality; maybe it's good to let the team gel in his absence and they can fit him in when he returns.

It's early but from everything I've read about ROR's work ethic, he's definitely a lead by example type. 

Girgs on the other hand, I feel, has the natural ability to be a more vocal, active captain. It's clear to anybody watching player interactions that he is always in the center. 

ROR should get a C, and Girgs should get an A for now. Give the other A to anybody but Kane. Hopefully in a few years Girgs will improve enough to get the C. Or have a co-captain situation. 

Unfortunately the C stays on Gionta until he's done, unless he gives it up. Bylsma had an opportunity to give it to someone else, I don't see him as the kind of guy who would take it away from Gionta. I also don't really care because ROR will lead regardless of what letter he has. 

Maybe it's okay to leave the C on Gionta.  He was a leader when the team needed it most:  He signed with the Sabres in the depth of the tank, got Gorges to come, too.  They were not the prizes so much as they were the indicators that things were changing for the better in Buffalo.

Edited by The Big Johnson

Agreed.  The one concern is Kane but I kind of get the impression that as long as Kane does the right stuff on the ice, O'Reilly (and the rest of the team) will tolerate his off-ice antics.  Kane's a big personality; maybe it's good to let the team gel in his absence and they can fit him in when he returns.

Can someone explain what "off-ice antics" Kane is doing? You mean like going to ball games? Using Twitter? Being young, rich and good looking? Being black?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Unfortunately the C stays on Gionta until he's done, unless he gives it up. Bylsma had an opportunity to give it to someone else, I don't see him as the kind of guy who would take it away from Gionta. I also don't really care because ROR will lead regardless of what letter he has.

Maybe it's okay to leave the C on Gionta. He was a leader when the team needed it most: He signed with the Sabres in the depth of the tank, got Gorges to come, too. They were not the prizes so much as they were the indicators that things were changing for the better in Buffalo.

He will give it up either this offseason or next.

Can someone explain what "off-ice antics" Kane is doing? You mean like going to ball games? Using Twitter? Being young, rich and good looking? Being black?

I have a feeling that it's mostly being black.

Edit: that's not directed to you, Johnson.

Edited by eleven

I have a feeling that it's mostly being black.

Easy fall back answer.

It's his attitude, his personality, his "vibe". It should be noted that Byfuglien, who's black himself, led the brigade to kick Kane out of Winnipeg. 

Check out his Instagram. Where I'm from most people would consider him a douchebag if they knew him. If he didn't play hockey he would most certainly be hanging out on Chippewa wearing an Affliction shirt, hitting on girls outside Bambino's. 

Instead he's dating L.A. models, "accidentally" being interviewed by TMZ, and taking helicopter rides to Toronto the night before a game. 

Sure, it's not "off-ice antics" in the same way that most sports fans (young to middle-aged white guys) think of it. He's not getting DUIs, punching girls, and getting into bar fights. But he has a strong personality that changes the composition of a locker room, and it's questionable that it's in a positive way. 

I'm frankly annoyed that the race card is being pulled out. He's lighter skinned than Drake, for God's sake and Drake is half-Jewish. 

Let's look at it another way:  One of the things we admire about ROR is that he is humble.  Many agree that this is part of what makes him a good leader. 

Kane is more in-your-face and boastful, especially in social media.  He also apparently flaunts authority (not meeting dress code in WPG for a team meeting, for instance).  That can rub some people the wrong way and obviously did in WPG.  I like to think that ROR is the type of team leader that won't try to haze Kane into compliance like Byfuglien tried to.

And I won't even address the race thing because that had absolutely nothing to do with my thought process.

Easy fall back answer.

It's his attitude, his personality, his "vibe". It should be noted that Byfuglien, who's black himself, led the brigade to kick Kane out of Winnipeg. 

Check out his Instagram. Where I'm from most people would consider him a douchebag if they knew him. If he didn't play hockey he would most certainly be hanging out on Chippewa wearing an Affliction shirt, hitting on girls outside Bambino's. 

Instead he's dating L.A. models, "accidentally" being interviewed by TMZ, and taking helicopter rides to Toronto the night before a game. 

Sure, it's not "off-ice antics" in the same way that most sports fans (young to middle-aged white guys) think of it. He's not getting DUIs, punching girls, and getting into bar fights. But he has a strong personality that changes the composition of a locker room, and it's questionable that it's in a positive way. 

I'm frankly annoyed that the race card is being pulled out. He's lighter skinned than Drake, for God's sake and Drake is half-Jewish.

I have no idea who Drake is, but Derek Roy acted pretty similarly to Kane and the international media never was reporting his "antics." Same goes for the other Kane; until he was accused of rape, it was a "boys will be boys" mentality towards him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.