NHL Gamecenter live

NNYSABRESMAN

Does anyone have experience with NHL gamecenter live? How is the quality of the streaming?

Also what is anyones oppinion on the chances that with the acquasition of The BILLS  is there a good chance that the Pegullas will start their own sports network for game telecast? I know the contract for Sabres games on MSG is up next year.

Pegula has said multiple times he isn't starting a sports network.

I have NHL Gamecenter that I run via my PS4. As long as your internet connection can handle it, it should stream in crystal clear HD. One issue is it may tell you in watertown that you are in the Sabres home network (unsure :unsure: ) if you are then it won't let you stream games unless that has changed.  You will probably be about 1-2 minutes behind live game action. Only other glitch is occasionally it will freeze/buffer for no reason. 

I have NHL Gamecenter that I run via my PS4. As long as your internet connection can handle it, it should stream in crystal clear HD. One issue is it may tell you in watertown that you are in the Sabres home network (unsure :unsure: ) if you are then it won't let you stream games unless that has changed.  You will probably be about 1-2 minutes behind live game action. Only other glitch is occasionally it will freeze/buffer for no reason. 

Interesting, while the picture quality is generally good for me, it's not as good as "real" HD when it comes to motion. On a PS3 or PC, and the motion isn't as smooth as HDTV (OTA or cable). It's very good, but not perfect It'll be interesting to see what happens this year; they may make big changes with the switch to hosting via MLBAM.

Negatives to GameCenter: anything that you could get on cable in your area (including premium sports packages) will be blacked out for 48 hours. So the games on NBC, NBCSN, NHL network, and the local team's network (Comcast Sports Flyers, for me) cannot be streamed live. I think that adds up to 10-15 games per year for the Sabres. Also, if the game ends before you start streaming (or if the stream gets interrupted), you can't start watching again for several hours. But as long as you have the stream up, it's fine for hours (you can "rewind" back to the beginning, etc.). As far as I know, this is when the NHL servers go through and edit out the commercials for the replay version. You'd think they'd keep the unedited version up until the replay is ready, but whatever. That may change if MLBAM is doing it this year.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it, although the blackouts are really annoying. And, more than a few times I missed the chance to watch a game the night it was played because I didn't get it started before the end of the live game. It's been well after midnight and the replay wasn't available yet.

EDIT: Searching the for Forum for "gamecenter" will turn up a bunch of info over the years, BTW>

Edited by MattPie

I have NHLGC and I agree with Matt. It's not always 'HD' in that the motion isn't always very fluid. Now, that is streaming through a laptop plugged into a big screen. Last year I bought a Roku and the streaming is much smoother. It's not HD cable quality, but it's pretty damn close. The problem with Roku is NHLGC couldn't care less about making the app work nor do they care about helping you find the problem (because they know the problem is with their app and not on my side). I have no issues streaming NHLGC on my laptop nor do I have a problem streaming anything else on Roku in HD. When the app isn't working right it will be stuck buffering for several minutes, even entire periods. But the glitches did seem to decline as the year went on.

If the games are blocked due to your location you can use a VPN service on your computer to mask your location. If your location is fine, pick yourself up a Roku and give it a shot.

On a related topic, What options are available for watching games if you live inside the home market but don't have cable/satellite?

Mebbe I just need schooling on using VPN?

If you use gamcenter, it only location checks at the beginning of the feed (while it is loading up). So if you install a VPN from chrome-store - i use zenmate. Turn zenmate on and select Romania. Click the video you want to watch. Wait till the stream starts. Turn the VPN off (if left on it can slow down your feed). Then watch like normal - you may want to click the live button at this point to catch up the 5 seconds you are behind.

Don't you pay with your credit card :D

Obviously you steal someone else's first :p - in for a penny, in for a pound! :p

Hockeystreams is $99 per calendar year and can be frozen so that it lasts even longer if you want.  Mine is paid but frozen until 10/1.  Gamecenter is $159 for regular season only (I think, they don't like to tell you very easily).

Hockeystreams would also solve We've problem because there are no blackouts.

Found a link that explains Gamecenter (even if it's Flyers-related, it breaks it down well).  There are different options this year.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/7/28/9058905/nhl-single-team-tv-package-gamecenter-live-center-ice

Edited by EastsideOasis

Hockeystreams is $99 per calendar year and can be frozen so that it lasts even longer if you want.  Mine is paid but frozen until 10/1.  Gamecenter is $149 for regular season only (I think, they don't like to tell you very easily).

I got 99 problems but a stream ain't one?

Don't bet money on that.

Hockeystreams is $99 per calendar year and can be frozen so that it lasts even longer if you want.  Mine is paid but frozen until 10/1.  Gamecenter is $159 for regular season only (I think, they don't like to tell you very easily).

Found a link that explains Gamecenter (even if it's Flyers-related, it breaks it down well).  There are different options this year.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/7/28/9058905/nhl-single-team-tv-package-gamecenter-live-center-ice

I did Hockeystreams last season. The feeds are pure crap. My picture shimmied back and forth like a record on a hip-hop DJ's turntable. I'll spend the extra $50 on GCL.

Bold: Technically, it's for the playoffs too but all the games are on national cable TV so they're all blacked out until 48 hours later. I'd guess that if you set your proxy to somewhere else (Romania, for instance) it'd be fine. Maybe some of our International-flavour posters can verify that.

• 4 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.