UPDATED: Sabres sign 2 yr Deal w/Cody Franson

Brawndo

All right I'll throw out my pairings

Pysyk - Risto

Gorges - Bogosian

McCabe - Franson

Weber/Colo

Similar to Blue, I think all of the D pairings play similar minutes and although I have Pysyk at the top, I don't think he's going to get 26 min a game.  I would guess somewhere around 22 min for each of the top 2 pairings and 16 for the third. 

All right I'll throw out my pairings

Pysyk - Risto

Gorges - Bogosian

McCabe - Franson

Weber/Colo

Similar to Blue, I think all of the D pairings play similar minutes and although I have Pysyk at the top, I don't think he's going to get 26 min a game.  I would guess somewhere around 22 min for each of the top 2 pairings and 16 for the third. 

Are these your opening night pairings?  IMHO it's pretty unlikely that McCabe is in the lineup to start the season.

I know so little about McCabe, but, as a theoretical matter, shouldn't we want him taking top-pairing minutes in Roc this year?

Going from the way Murray handled Pysyk and his stated reasons why I'd bet good money that's the way Murray sees it.

We have five veteran NHL defencemen who aren't playing in Rochester, Pysyk would have to clear waivers and there's no way Risto isn't in the NHL.

Unless he is so lights out we have to clear room through a trade, there's no room for McCabe.

Edited by dudacek

I like the signing.

A veteran on the blue line on a short-term fair $ contract that could be trade bait in the spring, although I don't think that is part of the plan at present.

I did not realize how big he is ... listed at 6'5" and 213lbs.

Will anchor the 1st pp unit.

Are these your opening night pairings?  IMHO it's pretty unlikely that McCabe is in the lineup to start the season.

Yep, I'm throwing my hat in the ring that he makes the team out of camp.  Does management right now plan on him playing big minutes in Roch?  Ya I think the Franson signing screams that.  But McCabe was a man amongst boys in development camp and a damn good prospect.  All he has to beat out is guys like Weber and Colo.  I think he plays so well in training camp that they can't send him back.  He's looked great in Buffalo the limited times he's been called up.

Going from the way Murray handled Pysyk and his stated reasons why I'd bet good money that's the way Murray sees it.

We have five veteran NHL defencemen who aren't playing in Rochester, Pysyk would have to clear waivers and there's no way Risto isn't in the NHL.

Unless he is so lights out we have to clear room through a trade, there's no room for McCabe.

I know it's crowded up there but it wouldn't be Pysyk trying to clear waivers it would be a guy like Colo/Donevan.

To continue with my point, let's not forget McCabe was a relatively high draft pick and we are now 3 full years into his development.  He was drafted after Grigo and Girgs in the 2012 draft.  Since then he played 2 full seasons at U. of Wisconsin (putting up great numbers) and also a full year in Roch (looks like again, great numbers there for a rookie).  With three full years under his belt I don't think him making this team is rushing him along.  Guy has looked good everywhere he's played including winning a gold medal as team captain for USA's WJC team in 2013.

Edited by Derrico

Yep, I'm throwing my hat in the ring that he makes the team out of camp.  Does management right now plan on him playing big minutes in Roch?  Ya I think the Franson signing screams that.  But McCabe was a man amongst boys in development camp and a damn good prospect.  All he has to beat out is guys like Weber and Colo.  I think he plays so well in training camp that they can't send him back.  He's looked great in Buffalo the limited times he's been called up.

I know it's crowded up there but it wouldn't be Pysyk trying to clear waivers it would be a guy like Colo/Donevan.

To continue with my point, let's not forget McCabe was a relatively high draft pick and we are now 3 full years into his development.  He was drafted after Grigo and Girgs in the 2012 draft.  Since then he played 2 full seasons at U. of Wisconsin (putting up great numbers) and also a full year in Roch (looks like again, great numbers there for a rookie).  With three full years under his belt I don't think him making this team is rushing him along.  Guy has looked good everywhere he's played including winning a gold medal as team captain for USA's WJC team in 2013.

Alrighty then.  I'm skeptical but I appreciate the bold prediction.

Roster flexibility trumps talent in all but your top players.

Ristolainen is the top player. McCabe is not.  He will be in Rochester and be used as the injury call up.

This sounds right and that's why this is a darkhorse prediction. 

But keep in mind our D includes Bogo, Gorges, Colo and Franson which are all players who have a high risk of injury.  Either way I think we will see plenty of McCabe this season.

Edited by Derrico

As I prepare to hide in my bunker, I will say that Pysyk is right now, the best passer on the team and easily the best passing defenseman. I have had conversations with people whose hockey smarts I revere who have dropped names like Teppo and yes, here it comes, Duncan Keith. Now nobody is predicting that he will even approach these players but they believe that it is his realistic ceiling. Pysyk is one of those guys whose stats will be greatly improved by the quality of players around him. A guy who looks like just another guy at the AHL level or as part of the worst team in hockey. He will be a guy that goes unnoticed for 90% of the play until he rifles a tape to tape cross ice pass that springs one of the teams many skilled forwards that can now turn those passes into scoring chances. He is a player who at the end of the year you will look at the old numbers and go wow, I didn't realize he was a plus 30 and had 30 to 40 assists. And the analytics guys, they will be calling him one of the truly underrated d-man in the league.

Yes, Dudacek, I think I am his biggest fan, but then again I thought that Cody was going to be a top scoring winger and that Ennis was too small.

I'm in the Tom Webster bunker. I expect Pysyk to quietly play big minutes this year. 

I know others had mentioned Franson as a "top 4" from the Murray interview, but I swear he said "four or five" which still frees up Pysyk to the left side of the second pairing (If Gorges is on first) maybe keep the kids together - Ritso and Pysyk?

Gores  - Bogo

Pysyk  - Ritso

Weber  - Franson

(Or maybe one of the other FAs has played the left side prev. and Weber is #7)

I know others had mentioned Franson as a "top 4" from the Murray interview, but I swear he said "four or five" which still frees up Pysyk to the left side of the second pairing (If Gorges is on first) maybe keep the kids together - Ritso and Pysyk?

Gores  - Bogo

Pysyk  - Ritso

Weber  - Franson

(Or maybe one of the other FAs has played the left side prev. and Weber is #7)

I'd prefer to split the kids (Ristolainen and Psysk) up and pair Gorges with Ristolainen and paid Psysk with Bogosian. Both make solid pairings that are fairly even in talent and ability at this time. Give both pairings about 22 minutes each a night and you can split the rest between the 3rd pairing and special teams.

I count Bogosian, Gorges, Franson and Weber. Who's the 5th?

Yep. Good prospect too, and a man, so don't count him out.

Four of our top five guys are RH. I think Pysyk gets the first look at switching sides. He played there in the minors.

I agree, I think Pysyk may be the one getting the switch for now.

Good stuff, re: McCabe. I am super high on him as a prospect, I'd go as far as to say he's our third best prospect, behind Eichel and Reinhart. Have high hopes for the kid, maybe a future top pairing of McCabe - Ristolainen? That's what I'm hoping for anyways.

Hate to see that happen to Paille, but it's pretty funny that McCabe got kicked out of the game for that hit, haha.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.