UPDATED: Sabres sign 2 yr Deal w/Cody Franson

Brawndo

He is definitely worth a shot. I like obtaining assets for money alone. Money is far less risky than trading away draft picks and prospects. He can always be traded down the road if necessary. 

I hope he signs with the Sabres.

If he is still unsigned at this point, why would teams trade for him later in the season when they can sign him now?

Um.. so did anything ever come from this?  Rumors just stop a few days ago?  My thought was that a two-year deal for Franson in Buffalo couldn't really hurt; he's got some upside.

Two year deals are also easy enough to get out of, whether it is a buyout or a deadline day deal.  If they really want a vet d-man, it's not a bad way to go if they can pull it off.

Maybe agreed to in principle, but each side giving the other a chance to see if something better/different comes along in the next couple of weeks.

I am sure Franson's agent is shopping the Sabres offer to other teams rumored to be interested, in an attempt to get him the best deal possible.  My guess...he ends up elsewhere.

I am sure Franson's agent is shopping the Sabres offer to other teams rumored to be interested, in an attempt to get him the best deal possible.  My guess...he ends up elsewhere.

Agreed. A guy that age is going to want 4 years.

I'm going suggest what you guys are saying is true.

And then I'm going to say that he wont get a better offer and he wont get a four year offer and that he will be a Sabre by Sept. 14th.

I have no doubt he wants a longer term deal...however, a 4 year deal is something a team gives a player they really want. If a team really wanted Franson, would he still be unsigned in September? I don't think so. He's not getting a 4 year deal.

At this stage, he's lucky to get 2 years.

Both could easily be true. He'd rather get a better deal and/or go elsewhere, but elsewhere does t want him (at least a high price).

Why do you think he'd rather go elsewhere?  Seems as though this would be an attractive destination with an opportunity for significant playing time.

Why do you think he'd rather go elsewhere?  Seems as though this would be an attractive destination with an opportunity for significant playing time.

I don't think there is a great market for him at the moment because a lot of teams have all their money tied up.

His agent probably waited too long for the best deal. 

While we all know why it happened and don't expect it to continue...until it changes on the ice, I firmly believe most players would simply prefer to go to a winning destination rather than one that just finished last two years in a row.

While we all know why it happened and don't expect it to continue...until it changes on the ice, I firmly believe most players would simply prefer to go to a winning destination rather than one that just finished last two years in a row.

I think more than just us know why it happened - NHL players have seen how this works and that it works.  Most every NHL player is aware of Buffalo from ownership to we're headed in another direction on the ice.  I do think you're right in that they would prefer to go to a team further along or in the middle of the prime of being good - however I don't think Buffalo is a last resort destination anymore. 

Edited by 7+6=13

McKenzie saying on twitter that Franson is in Buffalo finalizing a 2yr contract.

@JoeYerdon: With a $3.3 MM AAV, Franson will have the third-highest AAV among Sabres d-men. Bogosian and Gorges ahead of him.

Good signing. Short term, fair cash even. Will help on PP (as has been said many times) and should be able to play consistent 3rd pair minutes.

Top 6 looking like - Bogosian, Pysyk, Ristolainen, Gorges, Franson and Weber. Improved from last year.

Good signing. Short term, fair cash even. Will help on PP (as has been said many times) and should be able to play consistent 3rd pair minutes.

Top 6 looking like - Bogosian, Pysyk, Ristolainen, Gorges, Franson and Weber. Improved from last year.

Yes indeedly.

For the record: I continue to be not sold on Pysyk and would not be shocked if Colaiacovo or McCabe jumps over him at some point during the season. (But that could also happen to Weber or Franson.)

Yes indeedly.

For the record: I continue to be not sold on Pysyk and would not be shocked if Colaiacovo or McCabe jumps over him at some point during the season. (But that could also happen to Weber or Franson.)

I'll be shocked if Colaiacovo is healthy for more than 40 games, let alone getting consistent top-4 minutes.

Yes indeedly.

it's been a long time since I replied to a post, even though I creep the pages on the daily.....pysyk will be fine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.