Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

I'd be interested in that, too - how long an alleged rape case takes usually for charged to be brought?

I'd imagine it varies widely. There's going to be extra special care here due to the high profile nature so I expect the prosecution is collecting and analyzing every bit of information they can turn up. They'll press charges as soon as they feel they have the whole thing ready to go.

Great.... why couldn't she of just taken it so we can get back to hockey. I'm so tired of this, just what Buffalo needs, our local home grown superstar to be a prisoner.... and the Blackhawks falling off a cliff.

Justice is great, but why must it take so freaking long. Maybe I'm just cranky from work, I don't know. 

damn, what a dick comment, hope you weren't meaning this :p

Does large settlement offer consequentially mean "I don't think I'll win this case" or "I just want this to be gone"?

I think it's absolutely the latter. Regardless of chances of winning, if this thing goes to trial, the entire ordeal easily drags into the regular season. Even if he's innocent and/or thinks he wins in court, his preference is probably to just make it go away.

I keep hearing the word 'settlement' thrown around. Pardon my ignorance, but if the county finds enough evidence to charge Kane, a settlement isn't an option. If they don't find enough evidence, she surely isn't going to win a case on her own if she decides to press charges. Most of the time when I hear about settlements in sexual abuse/rape accusations, it's usually before the city/county get involved. But in this case the county is already involved, so where is a settlement going to come into play?

I keep hearing the word 'settlement' thrown around. Pardon my ignorance, but if the county finds enough evidence to charge Kane, a settlement isn't an option. If they don't find enough evidence, she surely isn't going to win a case on her own if she decides to press charges. Most of the time when I hear about settlements in sexual abuse/rape accusations, it's usually before the city/county get involved. But in this case the county is already involved, so where is a settlement going to come into play?

I would think that without her testifying, it would be a very hard case to prosecute.

Sorry, was in a bad mood. However the second part still is true, I wish investigations would be a tad quicker so we can move on with our lives. :(

I'm just tiring of the most looked/talked about at thread being a rape case on the Sabres forum,

The season can't get here any faster?

Good night

You suffer so. I weep for you.

Allegedly, a significant settlement offer was made and denied as the alleged victim is uninterested in settlement. This news came before 2 reported last night that there are no ongoing settlement talks. That's likely because it's clear that, with this very large offer being denied, there is no number that will appease the apparent distress of the alleged victim.

Source of info?

I do not appreciate your condescending and/or sarcastic remarks.... 

Oh! Such tragedy! 

Come wookie, let me salve your wounds! You have suffered much! 

I will mend first the wound you bear upon your head! The one through which vile expulsions flow! 

L1ght, disparaging remarks are unlikely to bring people to the point where they do the self-reflection necessary to grow. Consider engaging the people who disagree with a bit more compassion and empathy. Attempt to inspire reflection rather than inflict remorse. I opened my comments here in this thread with an emotionally laden dressing down of a portion of the readership. I was poorly served by my words. Later posts, which attempted to clarify my thoughts and inspire reflection were easily dismissed because I had already been placed in the position of enemy. I put myself there. 

L1ght, disparaging remarks are unlikely to bring people to the point where they do the self-reflection necessary to grow. Consider engaging the people who disagree with a bit more compassion and empathy. Attempt to inspire reflection rather than inflict remorse. I opened my comments here in this thread with an emotionally laden dressing down of a portion of the readership. I was poorly served by my words. Later posts, which attempted to clarify my thoughts and inspire reflection were easily dismissed because I had already been placed in the position of enemy. I put myself there. 

wait.... is this sarcasm, or condescension?   :ph34r:

:P  

Nah I'm good. If someone thinks being in a bad mood justifies crying about frivolous "suffering", there is no engagement that will change how that person thinks. Wookie has received mulligan after mulligan on this forum for saying absolutely terrible and mindless things. I'm done giving him an inch. If he hasn't learned by now I don't believe he ever will. 

I'd imagine it varies widely. There's going to be extra special care here due to the high profile nature so I expect the prosecution is collecting and analyzing every bit of information they can turn up. They'll press charges as soon as if they feel they have the whole thing ready to go can make a case.

Fixed it for you.  And nothing in the edits bares on whether the alleged events occurred or not.  It has moved into a system that often times seems counter intuitive

Nah I'm good. If someone thinks being in a bad mood justifies crying about frivolous "suffering", there is no engagement that will change how that person thinks. Wookie has received mulligan after mulligan on this forum for saying absolutely terrible and mindless things. I'm done giving him an inch. If he hasn't learned by now I don't believe he ever will.

Yup I only speak mindless drivel, ridiculous maybe in my trade proposals but otherwise I rarely try to get into arguments and the like.

Seriously.  He earlier called the thread a train wreck and now he's offering up incredibly helpful posts like that one.  If you think the thread is a disaster, make it better, don't stoop down to its level.

I don't support handling it in L1ght's manner, but what Wookie said was certainly terrible.

I think it's a good general rule to take the time to consider the legitimacy of your complaint in the context of what it is you're complaining about. What would a rape victim or falsely accused individual think if you aired your displeasure with how their unfortunate circumstances have negatively impacted your life?

Yup I only speak mindless drivel, ridiculous maybe in my trade proposals but otherwise I rarely try to get into arguments and the like.

Are you willing to walk back your complaint then? Or would you prefer to stand by it and offer only that you were in a "bad mood" as justification for trying to selfishly make yourself a victim?

Are you willing to walk back your complaint then? Or would you prefer to stand by it and offer only that you were in a "bad mood" as justification for trying to selfishly make yourself a victim?

Will walk back my complaint, not really. I wish the damn thing would get done already so we can move onto hockey with or without Kane.

Do I feel bad for the woman, likely. As long as what she's accusing is true than yes.

So get off that horse of yours and lets shake hands and go our separate ways. I deleted my stupid post and the slightly less stupid initial response since they came across wrong and were more of a kneejerk reaction. 

Is this really necessary?

The fact is almost all hockey discussion has been subordinated to a rape discussion.

I don't think it is selfish to say that our hockey oasis has been overtaken by an alleged crime and at the very least it is okay to miss what we've become accustomed to.

We've lost a few things in this affair: our hockey conversation, admiration for one of the game's best players, a certain hometown pride in the fact he was presumed to be one of us, the idea someone from WNY can compete at the highest level. There is a bit of cognitive dissonance.  It takes time. 

I had pictures of OJ and Pete Rose in my locker in high school. 

It is not nothing. It is not inhuman to wish the entire subject away. 

Let's not lose our decency over this too. 

Carry on. 

Is this really necessary?

The fact is almost all hockey discussion has been subordinated to a rape discussion.

I don't think it is selfish to say that our hockey oasis has been overtaken by an alleged crime and at the very least it is okay to miss what we've become accustomed to.

We've lost a few things in this affair: our hockey conversation, admiration for one of the game's best players, a certain hometown pride in the fact he was presumed to be one of us, the idea someone from WNY can compete at the highest level. There is a bit of cognitive dissonance.  It takes time. 

I had pictures of OJ and Pete Rose in my locker in high school. 

It is not nothing. It is not inhuman to wish the entire subject away. 

Let's not lose our decency over this too. 

Carry on. 

Well said

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.