Ted Black and Sabres "mutually part ways"

Weave

I found Black's openness and interaction with the fans a refreshing change from the usual management types. I'm afraid we'll just get corporate-speak from Brandon. Too bad they couldn't have moved Black into a public relations role, but that would have been a step down. At least we still have GMTM. Hopefully Brandon doesn't bother him.

I posted this before but it just seemed so weird, and I'm wondering if it isn't an insight to the guy...

On one of Ted's WGR segments they got onto a conversation about how Jeremy White would soon be doing pay-by-play for one of the local college hockey teams.  Ted congratulated him for becoming "the first woman play-by-play brodacaster" for whatever team it was. 

Aside from being not funny, it just seemed like such an inappropriate thing for the President of the Buffalo Sabres to say on the radio.  Not that horribly offensive...just weird and out of touch.  I doubt it had much to do with yesterday, but doesn't strike me as the kind of joke the Pegulas would find funny. 

I don't know if you followed him on twitter at all, but he said some weird things on there at times too. 

You know, something Terry said back in '14 has stuck with me, and might even offer some insight into the real reason behind Ted Black's departure. To quote Terry:

"I'm a little confused. You know, I'm sitting on the stage between Mayor Brown and Ted Black, yet I look over there, and I'm wondering, is something backward here?"

In the end, especially after his exposure to the culture at the Bills, perhaps Terry just found the confusion to be too much. Too confusing to have Whaley and Black in the same room on a regular basis. How would anyone get any work done, having to ponder that mystery day after day?

Too confusing, indeed, but I smell more chaos just over the horizon. Russ Brandon - two first names. Here's hoping Kim will be able to talk him through it.

You know, something Terry said back in '14 has stuck with me, and might even offer some insight into the real reason behind Ted Black's departure. To quote Terry:

"I'm a little confused. You know, I'm sitting on the stage between Mayor Brown and Ted Black, yet I look over there, and I'm wondering, is something backward here?"

In the end, especially after his exposure to the culture at the Bills, perhaps Terry just found the confusion to be too much. Too confusing to have Whaley and Black in the same room on a regular basis. How would anyone get any work done, having to ponder that mystery day after day?

Too confusing, indeed, but I smell more chaos just over the horizon. Russ Brandon - two first names. Here's hoping Kim will be able to talk him through it.

I well and truly have no idea what you're talking about most of the time.

I posted this before but it just seemed so weird, and I'm wondering if it isn't an insight to the guy...

On one of Ted's WGR segments they got onto a conversation about how Jeremy White would soon be doing pay-by-play for one of the local college hockey teams.  Ted congratulated him for becoming "the first woman play-by-play brodacaster" for whatever team it was. 

Aside from being not funny, it just seemed like such an inappropriate thing for the President of the Buffalo Sabres to say on the radio.  Not that horribly offensive...just weird and out of touch.  I doubt it had much to do with yesterday, but doesn't strike me as the kind of joke the Pegulas would find funny. 

I remember that. And it's not a misplaced observation. It seemed telling. It definitely made me cringe. Black was trying to engage in some locker room banter, and, as near I can tell, either (1) was posing, doesn't know how to do it, and so said something dumb or (2) is actually conversant in it, but didn't have the good sense to speak in a manner befitting his position. Either way: Ugh.

I wish I could recall the exchange he had with Simon on GR -- I actually remember where I was in my car at the time. It was just something where Black was retreating to a position that was so technical and cute, but would not acknowledge he was doing so. Such a bad look. I just can't recall what they were talking about -- I'm thinking it's gotta be whether to fire Regier or something about PLF. Anyhoo. 

I found Black's openness and interaction with the fans a refreshing change from the usual management types. I'm afraid we'll just get corporate-speak from Brandon. Too bad they couldn't have moved Black into a public relations role, but that would have been a step down. At least we still have GMTM. Hopefully Brandon doesn't bother him.

He did try, I will grant him that. I don't think his performance, as a whole, would have warranted a full-time PR gig.

I don't know if you followed him on twitter at all, but he said some weird things on there at times too. 

Guy never tweeted at all, did he?

https://twitter.com/theodorenblack

I believe he's making a joke about how Pegula made an awful groaner of a racially insensitive joke about Ted Black being white, but Mayor Brown being black, or something (I remember that, too -- yuck), and, further joking, how it was decided to separate Black to do away with that "confusion."

Edit: Ha! Found a post about it. It was about Darcy.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22127-worst-team-in-franchise-history/page-6?do=findComment&comment=516534

Edited by That Aud Smell

Terry's a real straight shooter. If he gets confused because one guy is called Black even though his skin is lighter than another guy, and he thinks they ought to change names, he'll say so. He's not afraid of big decisions like these. My guess is that Ted Black wasn't willing to make the necessary changes to streamline operations under the new corporate structure. It's a lack of synergy that ulimately did him in.

Two first names ultimately not such a bad thing for Russ Brandon? Tim Murray may have broken that glass ceiling. My guess is that having Rene Robert up in the rafters doesn't hurt.

To be fair to Terry, he's from friggin Carbondale. I'm just happy he doesn't say racist things every day. 

And, he's a multi generation man who worked in the anthracite mines.  I think his father was some sort of mid level manager in the mines.  Pegula's biographical details are sketchy.  

Forgive me for a moment while I don some shiny headwear.  It helps me think.

When I hear Carbondale, I think Scranton.  Like when people hear Tonawanda, and think Buffalo.  The associations that I make when I hear Carbondale are anthracite, and the mafia.  Do you think there might be some connections there, with Pegula and coal and the mafia?

Specifically, the Bufalino family.  Mafia is too inclusive.  #Billzmaffiosso

And, he's a multi generation man who worked in the anthracite mines.  I think his father was some sort of mid level manager in the mines.  Pegula's biographical details are sketchy.  

Forgive me for a moment while I don some shiny headwear.  It helps me think.

When I hear Carbondale, I think Scranton.  Like when people hear Tonawanda, and think Buffalo.  The associations that I make when I hear Carbondale are anthracite, and the mafia.  Do you think there might be some connections there, with Pegula and coal and the mafia?

Specifically, the Bufalino family.  Mafia is too inclusive.  #Billzmaffiosso

Get a small enough town or a big enough business and everybody is connected to everybody.

Terry's a real straight shooter. If he gets confused because one guy is called Black even though his skin is lighter than another guy, and he thinks they ought to change names, he'll say so. He's not afraid of big decisions like these. My guess is that Ted Black wasn't willing to make the necessary changes to streamline operations under the new corporate structure. It's a lack of synergy that ulimately did him in.

Two first names ultimately not such a bad thing for Russ Brandon? Tim Murray may have broken that glass ceiling. My guess is that having Rene Robert up in the rafters doesn't hurt.

To be fair, Murray and Brandon aren't very popular first names these days so maybe it's time that people accept them as legitimate last names.

Some of us love the Navy and just wish to see some metallic gold.

And this will not affect RJ's future at all.  RJ is in charge of his future, and that's that.

Ted was with the Penguins when FSN fired longtime legendary voice Mike Lange. Now, FSN had the contractual right to hire its announcers; and the Pens ended up hiring Lange to do play by play on the radio. Maybe Ted had something similar in mind here — move the franchise on from a legendary voice. I am talking out my hat as usual. My thinking is more along the lines of Brandon the marketing whiz coming in and realizing how important Rick still is to the brand and wooing him to stay a while longer.

I speculated this could happen anyway as no one, above all Rick, knew he'd come down with cancer and kick its ass. See also: Eichel and maybe the long-awaited Cup isn't all that far off.

I speculated this could happen anyway as no one, above all Rick, knew he'd come down with cancer and kick its ass. See also: Eichel and maybe the long-awaited Cup isn't all that far off.

I wanna hug you.

(More soberly: I can see RJ doing a reduced workload for years to come - no road games, maybe half of the home dates, etc. With the idea being that he can call games that are meaningful again.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.