Roster review: #47 Zach Bogosian

dudacek

Zach Bogosian  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What are your early reviews on the Bogosian acquisition?

• Love it. He’s a better player than Myers.
    • Like it a lot. He’s equal to Myers and fits this team better.
    • Bogosian’s a good player. I’d rather have Myers, but Kane tips the deal in our favour.
    • Bogosian is inconsistent and gets hurt a lot. I’d rather we traded the kids for Kane and kept Myers

Next up on the roster review, one of the new guys

post-2708-0-65604000-1437749906_thumb.jpg

#47 Zach Bogosian D (six years left at $5.1 million per, age 25)

Buffalo 21/0/7/7/-7/38

Winnipeg 41/3/10/13/1/40

Zach Bogosian had 61 points in 60 games as a draft-eligible 17-year-old. Cobble those numbers with a man’s body, elite skating skills and a mean streak and the scouts were drawing parallels to another Peterborough Pete, Chris Pronger. It is little wonder he went third overall in the 2008 draft.

Bogosian hasn’t exactly been a bust, so much as he just sort of slipped from the radar as a very young man playing in the NHL-quiet outposts of Atlanta and Winnipeg. He’s been capable, but his offence has been just OK, and his physical contributions hampered by regular injuries and a propensity for taking penalties. Add that to the fact Toby Enstrom and Dustin Byfuglien were entrenched as the go-to blueliners in Winnipeg, and Bogosian never really got his shot as a first-pair guy. Until Buffalo.

Ted Nolan played #47 in all situations; he totalled more than 28 minutes nine times during his time in Buffalo. Given the lack of depth on the Sabre blueline, there is little doubt that will continue this season. He may have already played seven seasons, but he just turned 25 last week. The question is whether he can rise to the challenge the way his early promise indicated he should, or whether he is what he has been — a good, but not great NHL defenceman.

Links to the rest of the series:

Edited by dudacek

I think the right partner will go a long way towards him reaching his potential.  The things he does well, he does very well (i.e. physical play zone clears, getting shots through.)  Complementing his strengths with someone whose strengths bolster his weaknesses ( over aggressiveness, pinching) is the recipe.  See Seabrooke/Keith or Hedman/Stralman.  Maybe not Norris but solid top 4. 

If he or Ristolainen can move to the left side they will be our top pairing this year. If we can find a stud left defenseman I think Bogosian would be even better on the 2nd pairing once Ristolainen is ready to assume the role of #1 defenseman. He gets injured a lot but so does Myers and at least Bogosian has a reason for his injuries due to his consistent physical play.

If he or Ristolainen can move to the left side they will be our top pairing this year. If we can find a stud left defenseman I think Bogosian would be even better on the 2nd pairing once Ristolainen is ready to assume the role of #1 defenseman. He gets injured a lot but so does Myers and at least Bogosian has a reason for his injuries due to his consistent physical play.

I think the right partner will go a long way towards him reaching his potential.  The things he does well, he does very well (i.e. physical play zone clears, getting shots through.)  Complementing his strengths with someone whose strengths bolster his weaknesses ( over aggressiveness, pinching) is the recipe.  See Seabrooke/Keith or Hedman/Stralman.  Maybe not Norris but solid top 4.

I think Pysyk is penciled into that position. I believe it's the reason he stayed in Rochester all last year playing the left side.

I think Pysyk is penciled into that position. I believe it's the reason he stayed in Rochester all last year playing the left side.

We'd still be much better off with a stud left defenseman to pair with Ristolainen so we can put Psysk and Bogosian on the 2nd pairing. At this point all we have on the left side is an inexperienced McCabe, a question mark in Gorges due to his micro fracture surgery, and some bottom pairing lefties. If Psysk get put on the top pairing on the left hand side, I hope Bogosian is paired with him and they put Ristolainen on the 2nd pairing with Gorges. I prefer young defensemen to be paired with vets until they have a few seasons under their belts.

We'd still be much better off with a stud left defenseman to pair with Ristolainen so we can put Psysk and Bogosian on the 2nd pairing. At this point all we have on the left side is an inexperienced McCabe, a question mark in Gorges due to his micro fracture surgery, and some bottom pairing lefties. If Psysk get put on the top pairing on the left hand side, I hope Bogosian is paired with him and they put Ristolainen on the 2nd pairing with Gorges. I prefer young defensemen to be paired with vets until they have a few seasons under their belts.

Pysyk/Bogo Gorges/Risto is how I start the year, unless we add somebody.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. But that top 4 is how I thing the Sabres start camp and hoping to land a top 4 left side proven NHL player, but not a necessity.

I like Bogosian--he's a solid 2nd pair Dman who can skate, make an exit pass, and play the body. His contract is fine, too (I wish it were a bit lower, but it's not problematic). That said, I have a hard time believing a 7-year pro has a hidden extra gear that he's suddenly going to be able to find; smart money is on him being the guy he's been to this point. 25 isn't old for a defenseman, but 7 years pro without a "breakout year" can't be ignored. Sort of like with Myers--sure, maybe he'll find the consistency to regularly play at his peak, but after so many years in the league, I find that to be an extremely remote possibility. Speaking of Myers, I think neither he nor Bogosian is clearly better than the other--they're just different. I think Bogosian is more steady defensively and has a better outlet pass, but Myers is better at skating the puck up and has more offensive pop to his game. Both players have their place on a good team's second pair, and I remain of the opinion that that part of the Kane trade was a relative wash.

While I agree with most of Blue's post about Bogo not being likely to have a breakout year, I do think there is a good chance he can find some consistency in his top end.

He's never had an uninterrupted season where he's been fed top-pair ice time. 

I'd like to think that health, maturity and opportunity could lead to things coming together for him this year.

He'll never be a number one — too many low percentage plays, not enough offensive creativity — but I could see him being the second guy on the top pair. 

Brent Seabrook would be an ideal comparable.

Not sure if he has that in him, but there were games after the trade that gave me hope.

He just seems like he is the type of guy who could raise his game in a playoff war.

He will be one of my key guys to watch this year and his success or lack thereof is a key ingredient for the franchise moving forward.

I like Bogosian--he's a solid 2nd pair Dman who can skate, make an exit pass, and play the body. His contract is fine, too (I wish it were a bit lower, but it's not problematic). That said, I have a hard time believing a 7-year pro has a hidden extra gear that he's suddenly going to be able to find; smart money is on him being the guy he's been to this point. 25 isn't old for a defenseman, but 7 years pro without a "breakout year" can't be ignored. Sort of like with Myers--sure, maybe he'll find the consistency to regularly play at his peak, but after so many years in the league, I find that to be an extremely remote possibility. Speaking of Myers, I think neither he nor Bogosian is clearly better than the other--they're just different. I think Bogosian is more steady defensively and has a better outlet pass, but Myers is better at skating the puck up and has more offensive pop to his game. Both players have their place on a good team's second pair, and I remain of the opinion that that part of the Kane trade was a relative wash.

I think you and I are on the same page re: Bogo.  At this point he is what he is.  And I think that will be good enough.

Bogosian is alot of what you guys said, but I'd also add that based on his style of play, and that of the playoffs, he should be a crucial piece to our future playoff teams with his physicality coupled with the ability to move and potentially score. If he can be a lesser offensively gifted Seabrook I'd be beyond happy.   

I agree generally with what you are saying regarding Bogo, so I won't re-hash it here.

However, I will say, with the game on the line protecting a 1 goal lead I would rather have Bogosian out there than Myers 100 times out of 100. That to me makes him more valuable. I want our defensemen to make me feel confident in their defensive ability first and foremost.

Does my w look capitalized to you?   :P

I like the way Weave and weave both look (as in physical shape of the word).  qwksnd looks so much better to me than Qwksnd.  That big, dumb Q just ruins the look. 

Sounds like a personal problem.

I'm very (case) sensitive guy.  Speaking of personal problems, I have an apostrophe to share with you.   '

I like the way Weave and weave both look (as in physical shape of the word). qwksnd looks so much better to me than Qwksnd. That big, dumb Q just ruins the look.

I'm very (case) sensitive guy. Speaking of personal problems, I have an apostrophe to share with you. '

In that case you should have no problem with the Q ;)

Zach B and Ristolainen are our best d-Men, with that said I am not sure if we should put them together, maybe to start the year and then as the young mature spilt them up to reduce their ice-time.

Zach B is a solid all-a-round D man and is physical.  The exact type of player you want come playoff time.  GMTM seems to know what he is doing by making a team tough to play against in a playoff series and not one that just gets there!  By the way I always liked Myers but Zach is what you want in a D-Man!

Go Sabres

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.