ROR Impaired Driving Charges Dismissed

Brawndo

This is why it is going to be more serious than folks are making it out to be.

Old people don't know which pedal their foot is on and slam into buildings almost killing people. They don't go to jail.

They took out a pane of glass. Will pay heavy fines and loss of license.

But which one  would you rather see at a traffic light a few months from now on your way to work?

Four pages so far and no serious calls for O'Reilly's contract to be nullified?  Where's the hand-wringing and spit and vinegar?

What a double-standard, and a bunch of self-righteous crap.

In other news...folks, you all wanted to play in the same sandbox as the big kids, this is what comes with the territory.  What big-time team in a big-time market doesn't have its share of drama every year? 

These things will be in the rear-view mirror by the time the respective seasons start.  And, not because they're athletes, but because there's big business with big money behind them.   These type of things "go away" all of the time, but because not every drunken, teen assaulter is a celebrity athlete, we don't know, or care, about it.

So what's your point?

I think most on the forum know this comes with the territory. For the team, what would be the benefit of nullifying his contract? We all know it will go away (more or less), probably by the start of camp.

One thing to remember in this particular incident is that while ROR was driving drunk, he didn't injure anyone, nor did he do any serious damage. It's not like he *did* kill someone.

I don't mean to minimize it, but this is probably not a life changer for ROR or the Buffalo Sabres.

To me, this is on the same order of seriousness as Jack Eichel swigging a Bud Light and announcing, "I'm comin' for ya, Buffalo!" I mean, that was evidence of underage drinking. Where was the outrage about that?

Edited by Robins Egg

So what's your point?

I don't mean to minimize it, but this is probably not a life changer for ROR or the Buffalo Sabres.

To me, this is on the same order of seriousness as Jack Eichel swigging a Bud Light and announcing, "I'm comin' for ya, Buffalo!" I mean, that was evidence of underage drinking. Where was the outrage about that?

To the first: This should absolutely be a life changer for O'Reilly. If it isn't, he is officially a retard!

To the second: I disagree strongly.

Apologies for the use of that word.

Oh, I hope it's a life changer in terms of his attitude toward alcohol, but I doubt it will affect his career. And I don't really see that it should. I hope it does result in his becoming a spokesman against drinking and driving. But for crying out loud, he broke a window. I did that when I was 12. Mr. Hank next door was cool about it. It didn't change my life for the worse.

So what's your point?

I think most on the forum know this comes with the territory. For the team, what would be the benefit of nullifying his contract? We all know it will go away (more or less), probably by the start of camp.

One thing to remember in this particular incident is that while ROR was driving drunk, he didn't injure anyone, nor did he do any serious damage. It's not like he *did* kill someone.

Wow.  It's like the 1970's again. 

The following is NSFW:

To the first: This should absolutely be a life changer for O'Reilly. If it isn't, he is officially a retard!

To the second: I disagree strongly.

Apologies for the use of that word.

What do you disagree with in the second part?  That Eichel's underage drinking isn't serious?

Wow.  It's like the 1970's again. 

The following is NSFW:

Still unclear what point you're trying to make.  Seriously.  I'm not trying to be argumentative, I honestly don't know what your point is.

What do you disagree with in the second part? That Eichel's underage drinking isn't serious?

I have different levels of outrage for a college Freshman drinking at a house party, than I do for a young adult taking his and several other people's lives in his hands by driving drunk. Especially when said young adult has more money than God and can afford a plane to take him bar hopping.

I do think I misunderstood what you meant on your first point though. I do not think that this one mistake should impact his career and livelihood. However it should impact his outlook on life.

Edited by ubkev

I have different levels of outrage for a college Freshman drinking at a house party, than I do for a young adult taking his and several other people's lives in his hands by driving drunk. Especially when said young adult has more money than God and can afford a plane to take him bar hopping.

I do think I misunderstood what you meant on your first point though. I do not think that this one mistake should impact his career and livelihood. However it should impact his outlook on life.

Agreed... or rather, I'll drink to that!   :angel:

I will say this:  I did some st00pid stuff in my younger years; we all have.  I even do things today that I regret.  Part of the maturation process is in minimizing those incidents that bring regret.  Had ROR actually killed someone, this would be far more serious and the team would be looking at serious penalties against O'Reilly.  But really, no one was hurt, and the material damage was easily fixable.  It may turn out to be a good thing; if ROR needs help, he will certainly get it now.  The team shouldn't minimize the seriousness of what might have happened and needs to address this so that nothing more serious happens.  They would also, I hope, address Eichel's drinking as well (he is, after all, too young to legally drink).  These are things that can ruin careers.  The team needs to take action.

But hey, we're fans here.  We've been living with crappy teams in Buffalo for a long time now.  Gallows humor is the logical reaction to like this.

chill-out-polar-bear-i1643.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.