Playoff Beards: Tradition or Terrible?

thesportsbuff

So are you for or against playoff beards?  I personally think they are awesome. 

http://deadspin.com/nbc-sports-chairman-has-pushed-nhl-players-to-shave-the-1710129854?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

NBC Sports Chairman thinks players should not grow playoff beards because it hurts marketability.  

"“The players won’t like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the postseason,” Lazarus said. “Let’s get their faces out there. Let’s talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are. (Hockey players) truly are one of a kind among professional athletes.

“I know it’s a tradition and superstition, but I think (the beards do) hurt recognition. They have a great opportunity with more endorsements. Or simply more recognition with fans saying, ‘That guy looks like the kid next door,’ which many of these guys do. I think that would be a nice thing.”"

If a person won't watch hockey because facial hair on the players makes them less attractive, or look less like the kid next door, the Raiders are completely stupid then and missing out with the whole bad boy image tactic.

How about using a positive approach, post playoff beard shaving for charity.  Highest bidder gets to "help" shave the beard off their favorite hockey player with all proceeds going to a charity and have the NHL push that.

Hockey is a major part of culture game. I understand there are professional teams across the nation, but the appreciation/support for the game mainly comes from areas that have hockey a part of the community. Hockey teams not in an actual hockey market tend to get support only when they are playing well. If players are encouraged or told not to grow playoff beards it'll take away something from the playoff atmosphere. Most people in true hockey communities don't have the opinion of "That guy looks like the kid next door." The beards are appreciated by many. Again, it's a part of the game. It's tradition. If not's not broke don't fix it. 

The NBC Sports Chairman is a fookin' neo-maxi-zoom-deebie who presumably raids Barry Manilow's wardrobe. 

He wants the game to grow so that his revenues grow. He apparently doesn't much care if growing the game means dispensing with traditions that many (most) players and fans hold dear.

He can get bent for all I care.

If a person won't watch hockey because facial hair on the players makes them less attractive, or look less like the kid next door, the Raiders are completely stupid then and missing out with the whole bad boy image tactic.

How about using a positive approach, post playoff beard shaving for charity.  Highest bidder gets to "help" shave the beard off their favorite hockey player with all proceeds going to a charity and have the NHL push that.

Hey there's a good idea! 

I'm totally biased on beards. I'm a beard lover. Just ask d4rk. Playoff beard time is one of my favorite times to stare at men who aren't my bf. It's just got a great goofy feel to it for some and a badass warrior feel for others. Also, "young and attractive"? Dude. Zetterberg? Datysuk? Jagr? Lundqvist? Hockey's great because it has its vets. Plus, Toews and Kane can't grow beards to save their baby faced lives. (Well, Toews just looks Amish and Kane looks like he should be rolling joints at a Disturbed concert circa 2003)

At least the tradition isn't bleaching the hair... in my high school it was always mohawks for football players. 

But beards. Shut up, NBC man. Glue some glitter and pubes on your face. 

Anyone who doesn't like playoff beards, or just beards, can go ahead and not talk ever again.

I get sick of having to hear about playoff beards.  I just don't care to hear a single word about a player's physical appearance while I am watching a game.

The NBC Sports Chairman is a fookin' neo-maxi-zoom-deebie who presumably raids Barry Manilow's wardrobe. 

He wants the game to grow so that his revenues grow. He apparently doesn't much care if growing the game means dispensing with traditions that many (most) players and fans hold dear.

He can get bent for all I care.

I'm not sure what a fookin' neo-maxi-zoom-deebie is, but I'm going with True. 

I am just amused the guy has gone to both the NHL and NHLPA about it. I bet the NHLPA loved that meeting.

NBC Guy "Good afternoon and salutations Gentlemen.  I would like to inquire into the possibility of you no longer growing your robust facial beards in an effort to make hockey more appealing and sexy."

Random NHLPA member "I'm missing 3 teeth and have acne, gtfo"

I am just amused the guy has gone to both the NHL and NHLPA about it. I bet the NHLPA loved that meeting.

NBC Guy "Good afternoon and salutations Gentlemen.  I would like to inquire into the possibility of you no longer growing your robust facial beards in an effort to make hockey more appealing and sexy."

Ha! Practically made me spit out my morning coffee! That deserves a +1

Is this really that big of a deal? He's in the business of television, not hockey and he's probably right. No harm in bringing it up.

I kinda think the playoff beard is dumb, all superstitions, really. The year the Pens won the cup they touched the CF trophy (forgot what it's called). What does that say?

The playoff beard made a lot more sense when the playoffs were played when it was actually still cold out. Beards in the middle of June is just silly.

made me laugh. I'm old enough to remember when most pro hockey guys had bad dentures and toupees. And they were the young ones! 

Is this really that big of a deal? He's in the business of television, not hockey and he's probably right. No harm in bringing it up.

I kinda think the playoff beard is dumb, all superstitions, really. The year the Pens won the cup they touched the CF trophy (forgot what it's called). What does that say?

The playoff beard made a lot more sense when the playoffs were played when it was actually still cold out. Beards in the middle of June is just silly.

I've got a full beard right now and there really isn't much of a difference as far as comfort in the heat goes. 

The part where it started to annoy me was when fans starting thinking that they need to do it too.  And speaking of that Penguin team, the one thing they should ban is the Crosby playoff "beard".

How many of you go w/ the tradition and grow a beard when the Sabres are in the playoffs? And ha How many of you were unable to grow a beard the last time the Sabres were in the playoffs because your body couldn't do it yet? 

I know it's more for the players, but I think it's cool for the fans to do it as well if they want to. Watch an MLB playoff game. When a team needs late inning rally, you see a number of fans w/ their hats turned inside out to help "spark" one. 

Edited by Thanes16

That guy is a dweeb.

This topic has also been discussed in reddit.com/r/hockey and one of the users had a very good rant about this which I'll post below. He makes a lot of good points and while I understand the Sabres games pull in pretty good ratings the lack of exposure for "good" teams really drives his point home. Another thing of note is that I believe NBCSN gets to broadcast 2 of the SC Final games this year which is a complete joke. Can you imagine any other sport broadcasting their finals on cable TV? It's a joke.

rant courtesy of /u/PNWQuakesFan

"I'm going to go off for a minute here

This idiot who runs NBC sports is worried about star players not being recognized on the ice? I'm sorry no. He's wrong for multiple reasons.

Beards and helmets do not prevent me from seeing the BIG ASS NUMBERS ON THE BACKS OF THE JERSEY. If you want the casual fan to be able to recognize players, how about you make sure the color commentator notes "Hey there goes #88 Patrick Kane on the ice". The responsibility for recognizing players isn't on the player. Its on you, the broadcaster. While I'm on that note, you know what would help casual fans recognize the players in the Stanley Cup Finals?

If your idiot network would show them on TV. Two of the NHL's final four teams, the Tampa Bay Lighting and Anaheim Ducks were on NBC a grand total of ZERO TIMES during the regular season. There were more BUFFALO SABRES GAMES on NBCSN from February to April than there were games for Top-8 teams the Montreal Canadiens, Tampa Bay Lightning, Anaheim Ducks combined. I'm pretty sure I could throw Washington or Minnesota on that list and it would still be accurate. SHOWING THEM PLAY WOULD HELP CASUAL FANS LATCH ON TO PLAYERS MORE THAN MANDATING SHAVING. Show the teams. Show all of them, and show them more than once. You air like 110 games between NBC and NBCSN during the regular season and you show the Sabres 75 times and you are legitimately blaming THE PLAYERS for being unrecognizeable?

YOU, NBC, for having the gall to show only 7 teams 90% of the time and then wonder why the NBA can come out with "mid-market" teams that haven't made the finals in a combined 45 years and outdraw a Lakers-Celtics series.

You want casual fans to be able to identify bonafide stars like Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman? Maybe try SHOWING THEIR GAMES BETWEEN OCTOBER AND APRIL. All the shaving in the world won't make the players visible if they are invisible to you for the entirety of the regular season."

That guy is a dweeb.

This topic has also been discussed in reddit.com/r/hockey and one of the users had a very good rant about this which I'll post below. He makes a lot of good points and while I understand the Sabres games pull in pretty good ratings the lack of exposure for "good" teams really drives his point home. Another thing of note is that I believe NBCSN gets to broadcast 2 of the SC Final games this year which is a complete joke. Can you imagine any other sport broadcasting their finals on cable TV? It's a joke.

rant courtesy of /u/PNWQuakesFan

"I'm going to go off for a minute here

This ###### idiot who runs NBC sports is worried about star players not being recognized on the ice? I'm sorry no. He's wrong for multiple reasons.

Beards and helmets do not prevent me from seeing the BIG ASS ###### NUMBERS ON THE BACKS OF THE JERSEY. If you want the casual fan to be able to recognize players, how about you make sure the color commentator notes "Hey there goes #88 Patrick Kane on the ice". The responsibility for recognizing players isn't on the player. Its on you, the broadcaster. While I'm on that note, you know what would help casual fans recognize the players in the Stanley Cup Finals?

If your idiot ###### network would show them on TV. Two of the NHL's final four teams, the Tampa Bay Lighting and Anaheim Ducks were on NBC a grand total of ZERO TIMES during the regular season. There were more BUFFALO ###### SABRES GAMES on NBCSN from February to April than there were games for Top-8 teams the Montreal Canadiens, Tampa Bay Lightning, Anaheim Ducks combined. I'm pretty sure I could throw Washington or Minnesota on that list and it would still be accurate. SHOWING THEM PLAY WOULD HELP CASUAL FANS LATCH ON TO PLAYERS MORE THAN MANDATING SHAVING. Show the ###### teams. Show all of them, and show them more than once. You air like 110 games between NBC and NBCSN during the regular season and you show the Sabres 75 times and you are legitimately blaming THE PLAYERS for being unrecognizeable?

###### YOU, NBC, for having the gall to show only 7 teams 90% of the time and then wonder why the NBA can come out with "mid-market" teams that haven't made the finals in a combined 45 years and outdraw a Lakers-Celtics series.

You want casual fans to be able to identify bonafide stars like Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman? Maybe try SHOWING THEIR GAMES BETWEEN OCTOBER AND APRIL. All the shaving in the world won't make the players visible if they are invisible to you for the entirety of the regular season."

The only problem with that is when they put those other teams on, nobody watches. They show the Sabres because they get really good ratings when they do.

http://deadspin.com/nbc-sports-chairman-has-pushed-nhl-players-to-shave-the-1710129854

:wallbash: Has this been posted yet? Talk about being out of touch.  

Holy crap that's ridiculous.  The NHL should be able to fire NBC right now.

Ignorance abound.  Why not also lobby to have them take their helmets off so we can see their young, beautiful faces while they are skating around?

Gimme a break.

The idea of a playoff beard is so horrible that EA Sports finally caved in to my one request for the NHL series and will introduce playoff beards in NHL 16.  Playoff beards that will grow through the playoffs automatically.

If it's in the game...

One problem I have the with the positioning of the NBC statement is that is speaks to the "ideal beauty" concept.  Guys don't need to shave in order to be beautiful.  Accept who they are and market the beards... 

Ugh.. it's ignorance to the nth degree.

Why not also lobby to have them take their helmets off so we can see their young, beautiful faces while they are skating around?

I know there's no way to find it, but Harry Neale hilariously waxed somewhat homoerotic on CBC (HNIC?) regarding someone's lettuce -- Jay McKee's? -- during the 1999 playoffs. The player was in the box, with his helmet off, and Neale said something about how in days gone by that glorious mane would have the wind blowing through it as the player skated up-ice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.