Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

More from McKenzie

If Drouin is traded, TB will have to get a piece that helps them this season and a significant prospect for the future. Maybe a pick, too?

And this from Dreger

I'm told Yzerman was asking for a right shot D as part of any Drouin deal.

I have one Zach Bogosian. Big, physical playoff player under contract. You know you want him Stevie!

Really though, as someone who wants to roll the dice on Drouin, that seems like a really high asking price given all the questions.

I have one Zach Bogosian. Big, physical playoff player under contract. You know you want him Stevie!

Really though, as someone who wants to roll the dice on Drouin, that seems like a really high asking price given all the questions.

Be interesting to see what Stevie gets there.

Will he be able get an auction going that makes up for all the baggage?

There is always one GM who talks himself into the idea that a player like Drouin might be the final piece of the puzzle to push their team over the top and is willing to pay the asking price

Sounds like the asking price involves getting rid of a piece that's already in place, though.  I guess that's what I meant to say with my first comment.  Very inarticulate this morning.

Status quo with Eriksson/Bruins negotiations. More talks expected today. Gap in term and $ remain. Extension seems unlikely. #TradeCentre

While others have been saying they think a deal is getting closer Dreger has been pushing back saying he doesn't believe it's going to happen.

He just cleared waivers today...

Hearing TOR has told Cowen it will try its best to trade him by deadline

I wouldn't trade Bogo for Drouin. Rather keep our 1 defensive defenseman over high end lottery ticket

I would love to get JT Compher back from Colorado somehow. I really wish they kept him. Foligno is expendable in my book.

Man we love to hang hopes high on the completely unknown

I have to wonder our direction unless we get a younger winger in return or decent pick

Be interesting to see what Stevie gets there.

Will he be able get an auction going that makes up for all the baggage?

I don't think he gets what he's looking for, auction or not. 

Man we love to hang hopes high on the completely unknown

I have to wonder our direction unless we get a younger winger in return or decent pick

I'd have to imagine Foligno has value beyond a typical rental price for a depth forward. 

Don't get sucked in, he's a Bogosian troll....

Not trolling, I legitimately don't think he's very good, and certainly don't think he's worth his contract. I've even articulated real reasons for it!

Why would the Sabres even consider trading Bogosian? He's 24 at a fixed cost long term. It would have to be one hell of a return. Not sure if Drouin is worth it.  

Why would the Sabres even consider trading Bogosian? He's 24 at a fixed cost long term. It would have to be one hell of a return. Not sure if Drouin is worth it.  

My Drouin comment was more tongue-in-cheek than serious, but here's my take on Bogosian insofar as I'd like to move him: I want my defensemen to be able to contribute to the generation of offense, even if they're not directly getting points, and he's bad at the traits necessary to do so. He has no outlet pass to speak of, and makes maddeningly inconsistent decisions while trying to put forth his offensive foot. I just think he has minimal offensive hockey sense, and doesn't have the skills to compensate for that in other ways. So you're left with arguing his value based on his potential defensive contributions--"hard to play against" and physicality. While he throws some nice body checks, his physicality is just as inconsistent as his offensive game--he frequently either loses a net front battle, or worse, doesn't even engage in it. It's infuriating to watch when that's supposed to be what he brings! I'd be much more forgiving of his lackluster offensive game if he had a monster defensive game, but he just doesn't. His reputation doesn't match his play. Do I think he's worthless? No, but his play is more reminiscent of a 3rd pair player than a 2nd pair, and he's paid to be not just a 2nd pair Dman, but a good one. Add to it that he misses a quarter of every season with injury, and I really think we can do better.

Coyotes playing in Philadelphia. But huge contingent (more than 10) of 'Yotes personnel in Pittsburgh to watch Jets v Pens this aft. Hmmmm.

A bit worrying...

@Real_ESPNLeBrun Still lots of rental forwards available, I wonder if they will outnumber the actual demand by Monday?

McGinn will be moved. I think we'll get the value that's been mentioned (2nd rounder).

Coyotes playing in Philadelphia. But huge contingent (more than 10) of 'Yotes personnel in Pittsburgh to watch Jets v Pens this aft. Hmmmm.

McGinn will be moved. I think we'll get the value that's been mentioned (2nd rounder).

Still not thrilled with that return, unless the pick is packaged for something else. I suppose it's better than losing him for nothing, though, if they weren't able to sign him to a reasonable extension. 

My Drouin comment was more tongue-in-cheek than serious, but here's my take on Bogosian insofar as I'd like to move him: I want my defensemen to be able to contribute to the generation of offense, even if they're not directly getting points, and he's bad at the traits necessary to do so. He has no outlet pass to speak of, and makes maddeningly inconsistent decisions while trying to put forth his offensive foot. I just think he has minimal offensive hockey sense, and doesn't have the skills to compensate for that in other ways. So you're left with arguing his value based on his potential defensive contributions--"hard to play against" and physicality. While he throws some nice body checks, his physicality is just as inconsistent as his offensive game--he frequently either loses a net front battle, or worse, doesn't even engage in it. It's infuriating to watch when that's supposed to be what he brings! I'd be much more forgiving of his lackluster offensive game if he had a monster defensive game, but he just doesn't. His reputation doesn't match his play. Do I think he's worthless? No, but his play is more reminiscent of a 3rd pair player than a 2nd pair, and he's paid to be not just a 2nd pair Dman, but a good one. Add to it that he misses a quarter of every season with injury, and I really think we can do better.

But he played pretty good last night, right!

I think you are going to see a third, or a couple thirds packaged with McGinn to up his value to a player or pick Timmy wants.

I also think the Sabres are trying very hard to make a hockey trade, if there is one available

The Toronto Maple Leafs traded goaltender James Reimer and forward Jeremy Morin to the San Jose Sharks on Saturday for goaltender Alex Stalock, forward Ben Smith and a conditional fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

Chicago Blackhawks trade Rob Scuderi to Los Angeles Kings for Christian Ehrhoff

damn missed that one yesterday :p

Edmonton Oilers trade G Anders Nilsson to St. Louis Blues in exchange for G Niklas Lundstrom, 2016 5th-round pick

Panthers traded for hudler for a 2016 2nd and 2018 4th round pick

The most important reason why I would disagree with moving Bogosian is that he is only 24 years old and he is still growing as a player. I would love to see that growth continue here in Buffalo along side our young talented forwards. It's important, IMO, that players like Eichel & Reinhart have those older consistent presences in the lineup they can rely on off the ice as well as on. Players like Bogosian at 24, like O'Reilly, will have a better chance of relating to those young guys than say a 37 year old Gionta or even a 31 Gorges.  Young players have so much more being thrown at them from all different angles that they need steadying influences. Bogosian is a good enough player, with a cost I don't fee is prohibited in anyway, that his value can go beyond just big hits and occasional points.

Sports today isn't as much about "building" as it is about "chemistry". It's as much more about a formula than it is a blueprint.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.