Maybe the Leafs are going all in this year..no more Leafs tank

mjd1001

Ouch - Shanny with a dig towards Sabres process?  He didn't subscribe to hiring the worst coach for a few years to begin rebuild.

But all Teddy needed was a good roster and they didn't give him a chance  :ph34r:

Seriously, I don't know that a coach has ever signed on prior to a team bottoming out and survived the process.

Babcock is nothing if not confident.

I really hope the leafs suck and then get screwed at the draft lottery in 2016

Screwed how? You mean finishing last and then having Edmonton win the lottery again?

If they're doing this, they're going to need a first class GM with unquestioned authority over player acquisition and development.

Good luck finding that with the position being sandwiched between Shanahan and Babcock.

Not sure why you'd need a third man in. Hire guys under Shanny and to do the more menial tasks of a GM, contracts, scouting, cap and the like.

Screwed how? You mean finishing last and then having Edmonton win the lottery again?

Not sure why you'd need a third man in. Hire guys under Shanny and ###### to do the more menial tasks of a GM, contracts, scouting, cap and the like.

yes

Not sure why you'd need a third man in. Hire guys under Shanny and ###### to do the more menial tasks of a GM, contracts, scouting, cap and the like.

They could end up #4!   :P

I live with a life long leafs fan so I'll be poking fun at their continued wrong turns for many years to come. Teehehe.

Word to the wise: marry within your own fan base or deal with having to spend energy on a team and a fanbase you completely hate!

Mixed marriages rarely work out.

Adding the #4 pick this year along with Nylander and Reilly from 2 of the past 3 drafts. Kadri also.

I didn't say they wont have talent. I'm saying they wont have TEAM with that core.

Gotta love how Benigni suggested the Sabres think Babcock lied to him. He didn't even want to dignify that accusation.

That question does one of two things, or maybe both: (1) Make Benigni look like an a.ss-hat. (2) Make the Sabres appear naive to have thought they had a deal.

That question does one of two things, or maybe both: (1) Make Benigni look like an a.ss-hat. (2) Make the Sabres appear naive to have thought they had a deal.

It certainly could/should have been asked with a bit more tact with respect to phrasing. But i'm glad the topic was brought up and not swept under the rug.

Sounded like they are ready for a full tank process to get the draft picks they need to get top level talent into the organization.

Thank God they changed the draft lottery and even if they finish last there's a 50/50 chance they don't pick until 4.

Mixed marriages rarely work out.

Thank you Bob Bummer. How is Debbie Downer doing?

But you're right, they're dropping like flies around me. I feel like Jack and Rose at the top of the Titanic as its sinking and people are getting their backs broken on their way down to the icy cold ocean.

I'll never let go Jack!

I just need a good hockey team to go along with my awesome homemade salsa dammit, that's all I ask for!

Toronto is in a tough spot.  If you trade Kessel and Phaneuf, you are not going to get any where CLOSE to equal value...even in assets, because of the contracts they have.  And if you do trade those 2, you are really looking at being where the Sabres are now (turning the corner) probably in the 2017-2018 season AT BEST.

-Add to that, with the draft lottery, they cannot 'game the system' to ensure they get a top 1-2 pick anymore.]

-If they are just turning the corner in 2017-2018, then they will be realistic playoff contender in what, 2019-2020?  Cup contenders in 2021-2022?  That is basically at the end of Babcocks contract.  I just can't see a complete tear-down.

All I can see is Babcock referring to 'pain' being the 1 year pain of being mediocre when they do a quick rebuild.  What I can see happening:

-Trade Kessel OR Kadri...get the best prospect you can for them.  Have the rest of the team 'tread water', miss the playoffs this year and take one last shot at the lottery (but not as the worst team in the league)

-Start next year with the prospect you get from Kessel/Kadri in the linup, Nylander in the lineup, and MAYBE the guy they pick at #4 this year in the lineup. Sprinkle in a few key FA veterans and go forward.

-I think the Leafs can and will go forward with Nylander, Marner/Strome, Morgan Reilly, whoever they get for Kessel/Kadri, and Van Riemsdyk as their young core. (with their 2016 first round pick being a wildcard.) That can start happening next year.

All I can see is Babcock referring to 'pain' being the 1 year pain of being mediocre when they do a quick rebuild. 

Interesting. I'm not so sure. There was lots of talk from Shanahan about how Babcock wanted to know if the organization was really, truly, fully committed to a rebuild. If you're going rough and dirty, there's no need for such talk.

Hey there Monkeygirl.

How you doing?

I think that fella with Ukrainian name is kinda pullin' your leg, ya know?

He's a stand up guy and he has Slavic blood coursing through his veins, so he's 0kee dokee in my books.

Hey there, I'm good, how are you?

I don't take anything seriously really so don't worry!

Toronto is in a tough spot. If you trade Kessel and Phaneuf, you are not going to get any where CLOSE to equal value...even in assets, because of the contracts they have. And if you do trade those 2, you are really looking at being where the Sabres are now (turning the corner) probably in the 2017-2018 season AT BEST.

-Add to that, with the draft lottery, they cannot 'game the system' to ensure they get a top 1-2 pick anymore.]

-If they are just turning the corner in 2017-2018, then they will be realistic playoff contender in what, 2019-2020? Cup contenders in 2021-2022? That is basically at the end of Babcocks contract. I just can't see a complete tear-down.

All I can see is Babcock referring to 'pain' being the 1 year pain of being mediocre when they do a quick rebuild. What I can see happening:

-Trade Kessel OR Kadri...get the best prospect you can for them. Have the rest of the team 'tread water', miss the playoffs this year and take one last shot at the lottery (but not as the worst team in the league)

-Start next year with the prospect you get from Kessel/Kadri in the linup, Nylander in the lineup, and MAYBE the guy they pick at #4 this year in the lineup. Sprinkle in a few key FA veterans and go forward.

-I think the Leafs can and will go forward with Nylander, Marner/Strome, Morgan Reilly, whoever they get for Kessel/Kadri, and Van Riemsdyk as their young core. (with their 2016 first round pick being a wildcard.) That can start happening next year.

That center core and defense is a winner lol

Interesting. I'm not so sure. There was lots of talk from Shanahan about how Babcock wanted to know if the organization was really, truly, fully committed to a rebuild. If you're going rough and dirty, there's no need for such talk.

Lets just see how committed they are after a year or two of empty seats, empty luxury boxes and fans throwing jerseys on the ice. Not to mention having to deal with the media day after day.

They need elite centers that are found at the top of the draft. Is Babcock such a good coach that he coach them up to 20th spot? only hope I see them having is actually getting Stamkos to come home to play. 

Don't forget that Toronto will have the pick of the 2nd tier centers in this years draft. We are talking Reinhart level guys.  I would love to predict Toronto sucking but they are in a decent spot if they can unload a couple of players and draft properly this year.  I am not saying they will be cup contenders anytime soon but playoff contenders I could see.  

Lets just see how committed they are after a year or two of empty seats, empty luxury boxes and fans throwing jerseys on the ice. Not to mention having to deal with the media day after day.

They need elite centers that are found at the top of the draft. Is Babcock such a good coach that he coach them up to 20th spot? only hope I see them having is actually getting Stamkos to come home to play. 

They won't have empty seats or empty luxury boxes at the ACC.  They just won't.  They've been mediocre to downright terrible for the last decade plus and have sold that place out without a problem. 

I do agree that the best course of action is a full on bottoming out which I can't see happening with Babcock in the mix.  Going to be interesting to see what goes on there.  For our sake, hopefully Babcock improves the team to the point where they aren't DFL but based on talent will continue to wallow in mediocrity.

That will never happen. If there is a team that can ride out a tank without losing support, it's the Leafs. Anyone seats given up will be bought within five seconds.

If the Leafs put JVR on the market I'd like the Sabres to take a serious look at getting a deal down. He just turned 26 and has a great price of $5 for the next three years. 

If you want to really see how terrible the leafs are, look at JVR's fenwick and corsi with philly versus the leafs.  It took a 7point drop immediately.  Now either the leafs suck (they do) or he was being heavily sheltered in Philly.  His defensive zone starts did increase by about 3% when he was a traded.  

Again I like JVR but we really need to find a RW target for all these trade ideas.  Wonder if LA would be willing to trade us Valentin Zykov.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.