Prediction time: Will the Sabres get Babcock?

nfreeman

Is he or isn't he?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mike Babcock become the Sabres' coach?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Babcock says no, who will the Sabres hire? (Not who do you want -- who will they choose.)

• Disco Dan Bylsma
    • Luke Richardson
    • Jeff Blashill
    • Peter DeBoer
    • Other (please specify)
    • Not applicable -- they are getting Babcock

Maybe it is how I look at it. Maybe the average person doesn't look at it that way. To me, if there is that big of a difference and your heart is telling you one thing, a bigger difference isn't going to switch what my heart is telling me. It would only strengthen my resolve.

Maybe it is the dinosaur in me.

I also think you're using contract talks to characterize Babcock.  Contract talks are business.  Some guys don't play ball, like Rex Ryan, and we love them all the more for that.

Chz is the only person in all the interwebs saying that Detroit is willing to match a Buffalo offer.

Anything i have seen is in the $3 million range for a shorter contract, while Buffalo is $5 million and a longer contract.

Those terms are so far apart, that if Babcock told the Sabres "No Thanks".....and all the hubbub about family and such.....then for an extra million a year decides to flip? It makes zero sense. He could still have concern for the family, but it is a pure negotiation ploy and/or a pure money play. There is NO other explanation for turning down 7for30 for 3for10, but taking 8at50.

NO other explanation.

He's Maximizing his Potential if that is the case.

I won't call him a scumbag if he comes....that's an amazing amount and he is a good coach, and he has every right to go for it. But if he does come to Buffalo at this point, it would be like watching George Carlin taking the White House corrispondents dinner gig.

I did?

I suppose you could look at it that way but...

If both Detroit and Buffalo had the same money on the table and you were thinking of leaving, you would stay. if Buffalo pays you more then you think some more.

I did?

Now.....you can say that was just a thought process for debate and spitballing, and I will respect that 100%.......but you can't get cute and be doing the sunglasses thing like you know what is really going on.

If you are in the know...fine.....Babcock got the same offer from Detroit as the Sabres so his decision is harder.

If not....you are doing what I am doing and reading the situation....and while I don't agree, it was presented in a respectful and valid contex...so thank you...and a valid hypothesis.

Now.....you can say that was just a thought process for debate and spitballing, and I will respect that 100%.......but you can't get cute and be doing the sunglasses thing like you know what is really going on.

If you are in the know...fine.....Babcock got the same offer from Detroit as the Sabres so his decision is harder.

If not....you are doing what I am doing and reading the situation....and while I don't agree, it was presented in a respectful and valid contex...so thank you...and a valid hypothesis.

Option #3.  Her sunglasses thing implied something else.

For as many times as you've told others to improve their reading comprehension I think you might be one of the few that read what Chz said in that way.

I have really mixed feelings about this. Courting him so strongly might imply when he gets here he can do whatever he wants and is untouchable. If you don't find it easy to leave a position you should stay and he seems to be too conflicted. He's likely using this great situation for leverage to get as much as he can from Detroit. I just have a feeling he is staying.

I wish I knew who the next best candidate is. Whoever it is will be much less expensive and might be a better fit at this point. Who do we think would be a great coach to bring along a young team other than Babcock which requires a lot different skillset than managing a veteran team?

That's my point.  It was too vague to read anything into it.

Why do you go out of your way to be as big a dick as possible to chz?

I've NEVER...NEVER EVER EVER claimed to KNOW what is going on behind the scenes through a "source"....I'm just profiling those who are part of the mix. I give my opinions....strong at times? Yes. Abrasive at times to select general groups or a repeat ankle yipper? Yes. Almost certain at times because when you see a weasel dive down a hole 99 times.....odds are he's going down for the 100th? Yes. But I never am the first to take a swing at a poster. I will usually take about a half dozen to a dozen insults from multiple posters before I go all, "broad", on the board.

Many here take what Chz says as some gospel inside source, and attack when she is questioned. Chz has good hockey insight in general, and I would love if that was what it was assumed. The point made above is a great point in a conversation. I see it differently, but it's solid as a rock. She's fine in my book. 

I think I missed something in the rush today.

Babcock told the Sabres "no" while telling the public he hadn't made up his mind yet?

Who reported this?

Who was he considering over Detroit if it wasn't Buffalo?

And then Buffalo came in with a higher offer and they were suddenly back in?

Where is this coming from?

I saw suggestions that Buffalo sweetened their offer over the weekend, but that doesn't mean Babcock had rejected their initial offer, it just meant he hadn't accepted it and they felt the need to step up their game to cinch the deal.

I think I missed something in the rush today.

Babcock told the Sabres "no" while telling the public he hadn't made up his mind yet?

Who reported this?

Who was he considering over Detroit if it wasn't Buffalo?

And then Buffalo came in with a higher offer and they were suddenly back in?

Where is this coming from?

I saw suggestions that Buffalo sweetened their offer over the weekend, but that doesn't mean Babcock had rejected their initial offer, it just meant he hadn't accepted it and they felt the need to step up their game to cinch the deal.

I'm pretty sure Drane, who has never shown to be in the know, speculated it first then it took off. I think Chz may have said it too.

I don't think he's coming here and I had to vote "other" because there has been a vortex of silence regarding other candidates, so I really can't predict anything there.

I think he stays in Detroit. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel he will back away from the Sabres offer after saying many complimentary things about the Pegulas. When push comes to shove he will decide his family wants to stay in Detroit and that will be that. The Sabres gave him some bargaining leverage to get more money in Detroit.

If not Babcock, steal their AHL coach. Younger, cheaper but the same system.

I don't think my reading comprehension is at fault, I honestly don't understand where you're coming from at all.  I don't understand where your logic is coming from and how you are so well able to judge Babdick in this situation.

The bold is classic ghost.  If he ends up the Sabres coach, I'll rail against him.  If he doesn't become our coach he's a great guy.

was thinking the same, if he comes he is a moneywhore i guess.  

Personally i think if he choses for the sabres, its because he likes the project he is coming for not only the money.

That was just a what-if.

so, an innuendo-prone message board poster's emoticon-related speculation became accepted as a reported fact, and that then spawned a judgment of babcock's moral fitness.

go, internet!

No...all weekend there were a bunch of supposed journalists arguing over if the Sabres gave a new enhanced offer to Babcock, or if it was the original one.

Take your pick of names who you want to believe.

No...all weekend there were a bunch of supposed journalists arguing over if the Sabres gave a new enhanced offer to Babcock, or if it was the original one.

Take your pick of names who you want to believe.

that's not what i saw/read in-thread. 

are you talking about how a guy like friedman (or was it kypreos?) tweeted yesterday - right after the wawrow [sic] report about contract negotiations - to the effect that it would be logical for babcock to negotiate his last, best deal with buffalo, and then see what detroit has to say about it?

I have seen reports -- not on SS  -- that the original Sabres offer was thought to be $5/year. Then I saw reports that the Sabres offered a $50 total package. Unless it's a 10 year contract, I think people deduced that it was a higher offer than the original. I certainly heard $6M from multiple different sources, one of which was not chz's sunglasses.