Get to Know - Disco Dan Bylsma

I wish I had the time, because I have all of a sudden become interested in MacLean.  I would like to re-visit the season leading up to his firing.  Apparently, after he won the Jack Adams he became a douche to the players (SOURCE). 

As a player he was a goal scorer, and apparently a tough guy.  That's what the Sabres need, if he can teach it.

Not really excited at the prospect of a coach who thinks he's so much better than his players. Disco Dan at least seems to have fun with his guys

Not really excited at the prospect of a coach who thinks he's so much better than his players. Disco Dan at least seems to have fun with his guys

That's why I would like to re-visit that period to figure out what was going on.  And, as I mentioned in the other thread, if MacLean has learned a lesson.  We all learn lessons as we grow old.

I wish I had the time, because I have all of a sudden become interested in MacLean.  I would like to re-visit the season leading up to his firing.  Apparently, after he won the Jack Adams he became a douche to the players (SOURCE). 

As a player he was a goal scorer, and apparently a tough guy.  That's what the Sabres need, if he can teach it.

You can do it....it took me probably 90 real minutes to view video, look at stats, read articles........like Sy Syms said...."An educated consumer is our best customer"......

So much for your internet sleuthing.  I may have a browser open to this thread, but that doesn't mean I've actually spent 10 minutes "in" the thread.  It's two pages long, WTF could I be doing in ten minutes in a two page thread?

So much for your internet sleuthing.  I may have a browser open to this thread, but that doesn't mean I've actually spent 10 minutes "in" the thread.  It's two pages long, WTF could I be doing in ten minutes in a two page thread?

We know one hand is on the mouse, but what are you doing with your other hand?

Dan Bylsma had Crosby playing dump and chase hockey. I rest my case.

Who WOULD you like.....and tell me why he is any good, with references, let alone better than Bylsma?

We know one hand is on the mouse, but what are you doing with your other hand?

I'm just saying.....let's not be lazy here. Ted Nolan was fired hours after the regular season. If you want to trumpet a guy or bash a guy....at least let me see some real reasons other than garble.

MacLean got fired...the Sens cut salary...they made a nice run into the playoffs.

Dan Bylsma had Crosby playing dump and chase hockey. I rest my case.

Dave Semenko was on the ice with Wayne Gretzky......

Who WOULD you like.....and tell me why he is any good, with references, let alone better than Bylsma?

I'm just saying.....let's not be lazy here. Ted Nolan was fired hours after the regular season. If you want to trumpet a guy or bash a guy....at least let me see some real reasons other than garble.

MacLean got fired...the Sens cut salary...they made a nice run into the playoffs.

Dave Semenko was on the ice with Wayne Gretzky......

You responded to my single post twice? I think I win :)

I said in the coaching thread I want to wait to see what happens with Julien, but if he shakes loose, he's probably my new #1 choice. Do you want me to make a case for him, or fully lay out my case against Bylsma? Doubt I'm going to be able to offer up both.

I said in the coaching thread I want to wait to see what happens with Julien, but if he shakes loose, he's probably my new #1 choice. Do you want me to make a case for him, or fully lay out my case against Bylsma? Doubt I'm going to be able to offer up both.

I have not gotten to know ANY coach candidate on this site....or more than a 30 word blip in the local media, other than Babcock worship.

People said I was a meanie for disecting Babcock, so I presented a thread with information on my choice, Dan Bylsma.

Feel free to disect Bylsma, but unless you present a better alternative with more than recycled garbage......I won't really care.

I presented this yearning for information close to a week ago. You can post 1 thing a day if time is a factor.

I'm sorry...OVER a week ago....

I have not gotten to know ANY coach candidate on this site....or more than a 30 word blip in the local media, other than Babcock worship.

People said I was a meanie for disecting Babcock, so I presented a thread with information on my choice, Dan Bylsma.

Feel free to disect Bylsma, but unless you present a better alternative with more than recycled garbage......I won't really care.

I presented this yearning for information close to a week ago. You can post 1 thing a day if time is a factor.

I'm sorry...OVER a week ago....

I was legitimately unmotivated to post anything because I thought we were getting Babcock...just seemed like a whole bunch of effort for nothing. Obviously that's not happening now, so I'll put something together. 

I was legitimately unmotivated to post anything because I thought we were getting Babcock...just seemed like a whole bunch of effort for nothing. Obviously that's not happening now, so I'll put something together. 

Yeah.....I think that was my entire point about starting the Bylsma thread. Everyone is running around with catch phrases and champagne popping in the front office...the AP is reporting a Mighty Taco wrapper in Pegula's SUV........they stop working.....meanwhile Mclellan is gone, Bylsma is interviewing elsewhere, Boston has hired their GM.......and almost everyone got their PP slapped.

I want to see the case made for Julien where my skin doesn't crawl and/or I don't want to vomit after reading it.

I want to see the case made for Julien where my skin doesn't crawl and/or I don't want to vomit after reading it.

Are you kidding me? My skin is crawling just thinking about it...but I think he's a hell of a coach and would welcome him here. I just don't think I'd ever listen to another presser again.

The only case that can be made for him is he did the best with what he had. They gave him Lucic, the little pest, the defensive giant  and he gets the most out of them.

I personally don't like him, but if he came to Buffalo I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. You have even said that we change as we age/learn. But I still think his coaching is more Slap Shot than Miracle on Ice.

I don't want Dan Bylsma at all. We need a coach that can help develop all these kids.

I'm not worried about Babcock going to the Leafs. They will still suck. I believe he wanted more control over hockey matters where in Buffalo he wouldn't have as much. Until more changes happen in Toronto I still see them rebuilding for the next few years.

Thank you GoDD for the insightful posts and to others with some strong counter points.  A great discussion indeed.

I won't pretend to know enough about any of the candidates to have any real input for the discussion.

All I hope is that Mr. Murray is as diligent in his research into filling the coaching vacancy with the Sabres and that he makes an intelligent and well thought out choice.

Forgive me for attempting to influence your decision.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyvXlNJ9Wmc

Give me reason to trust him with the young players and to get the most out of them. 

The recent Olympics really ruined my opinion of him, and the Penguins inept playoff runs haven't helped.

Could we still get Richardson as an Assistant Coach to work with the D?

The top 2 draft picks where easy. McDavid and Eichel where a can't lose pick'm.

The coaching hierarchy  is more difficult to decipher for me.

It seems obvious that Babcock is the coaching version of Conner McDavid, highly wanted and a few teams may be prepared to go to extremes to get what they want.

But a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest No.2 (the Jack Eichel) where teams are going all out to acquire his services after Babcock is taken is not as apparent.

Maybe Blysma is Eichel, but I don't see it. He seems more like a Reinhart. A nice pick up in a normal draft year.

Congrats Woods! Morning crew for WGR must have read this post as they are now using your McDavid Eichel comparison and are determining that Eichel is Bylsma.

Now I'll be all set if they say he has gotten to 250 wins quicker than any coach LOL