2015 IIHF Championship Prague May 1-17

Brawndo

I'm glad that we're probably getting a prospect that isn't just generating a bunch of "he definitely looks like he fits in" comments. That's what we saw in Reinhart and Grigorenko's tryouts and games against men early in their careers. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I want somebody that does more than just fit in from day one.

You needed to be watching. What you are suggesting is not at all what I was witnessing from Eichel. It wasn't letting the play develop. There were several times in the defensive end I remember thinking he was floating too much and needed to be more engaged.  It won't fly at the NHL level. 

I can only say that we must be watching completely different games then. He's been very responsible in his own end, not lazy at all. The only time it looked like he wasn't skating as much was in the first game vs. Norway and I think that was because he was put at LW for a big chunk of the game. 

The larger point though is this, that at 18 and the youngest guy on the team, he is more than holding his own against grown up professionals. He's the strongest guy on the puck most of the time. 

This USA squad shows a lot of pluck. For a team that hasn't had a ton of reps together, they seem to be figuring it out as they progress and they've all bought into busting their as well. Plus they are a fast group. Perhaps the fastest USA mens team I can recall. 

GO SABRES!!!

You needed to be watching. What you are suggesting is not at all what I was witnessing from Eichel. It wasn't letting the play develop. There were several times in the defensive end I remember thinking he was floating too much and needed to be more engaged.  It won't fly at the NHL level. 

I've seen what you're seeing. Sometimes he glides toward the guy with the puck instead of skating toward him to engage him. Some guys can generate speed without picking up their feet, though, and I can't tell if that's what I'm seeing.

Sometimes I think that some guys who look like they are trying really hard just aren't very good skaters.

Going full speed all the time isn't necessary.  Granted I am not watching him but sometimes it pays to coast and let the play develop or let it come to you. 

That's what Cody and Grigo have been trying to tell Nolan.

I can only say that we must be watching completely different games then. He's been very responsible in his own end, not lazy at all. The only time it looked like he wasn't skating as much was in the first game vs. Norway and I think that was because he was put at LW for a big chunk of the game. 

The larger point though is this, that at 18 and the youngest guy on the team, he is more than holding his own against grown up professionals. He's the strongest guy on the puck most of the time. 

This USA squad shows a lot of pluck. For a team that hasn't had a ton of reps together, they seem to be figuring it out as they progress and they've all bought into busting their ###### as well. Plus they are a fast group. Perhaps the fastest USA mens team I can recall. 

GO SABRES!!!

This right here is the part that should really be the toughest part of this tournament for him.  They typically do grab a college kid or two each year, but that is usually the junior or senior who has just signed their first contract and has gone through a few rookie camps already.  Eichel has never had that experience.  Even spending an entire year with David Quinn who has pro coaching experience, Eichel really has no feel whatsoever for how things work at the professional level.  To be a productive player in this type of setting, it's going to come mostly from skill and instinct.

I've seen what you're seeing. Sometimes he glides toward the guy with the puck instead of skating toward him to engage him. Some guys can generate speed without picking up their feet, though, and I can't tell if that's what I'm seeing.

Sometimes I think that some guys who look like they are trying really hard just aren't very good skaters.

Matt Ellis. 

That's no slam on Ellis, who's effort is unquestionable, but one of the reasons he looks like he's hustling so much is because he's a trainwreck on skates. 

GO SABRES!!!

He does seem to generate speed out of no where. When he wants to move he goes but there were times where I felt like he was shadowing the puck carrier more than trying to take the puck from him.  Just something minor I noticed, nothing to be really worried over.

I agree with Liger that Eichel needs to be more aggressive away from the puck at times.  His skating is nearly impeccable, though.  He's so smooth forwards, backwards, making quick changes in direction.  He's like a faster OEL.

He goes from glide to full speed insanely fast and seems to maintain that full speed while he glides with a defender draped on his back. 

One of the things I love about Eichel is the fact that faceoffs were a weakness for him in October. He worked on those all season and has turned them into a strength. He was able to continue that to the point where he was allowed to take a defensive faceoff with less than a minute left protecting a one goal lead.

And he was beating arguably one of the top three players in the world in Malkin

Everybody keeps mentioning the Eichel needs to be more aggressive off the puck but I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. A player with a shot like him should be coasting around to the empty spots on the ice. Always keeping himself open for a possible one timer... That's what I want to see. If he's bent over or just standing up off the ice then it's an issue but I haven't seen any of that. Just get to the open spot and wait... Make sure you're in position to get back if the defense breaks out.

It seems like, with this issue and the complaints about him not dominating every shift of the national championship game, we expect a superhero out there.

Everybody keeps mentioning the Eichel needs to be more aggressive off the puck but I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. A player with a shot like him should be coasting around to the empty spots on the ice. Always keeping himself open for a possible one timer... That's what I want to see. If he's bent over or just standing up off the ice then it's an issue but I haven't seen any of that. Just get to the open spot and wait... Make sure you're in position to get back if the defense breaks out.

It seems like, with this issue and the complaints about him not dominating every shift of the national championship game, we expect a superhero out there.

Well considering we were talking about his defensive zone play, or at least I was, I am not really sure where you are going with this.

I'll say it again. Jack Eichel on several shifts in the defensive zone floated and was less aggressive towards the puck carrier.  Not a concern just an observation about his play.  

Well considering we were talking about his defensive zone play, or at least I was, I am not really sure where you are going with this.

I'll say it again. Jack Eichel on several shifts in the defensive zone floated and was less aggressive towards the puck carrier.  Not a concern just an observation about his play.  

yep

Jiri Novotny.......twice as many points as Eichel.......discuss.......

It gets worse....

Jakub Klepis outscoring Eichel at a pace of +50%

Darcy knew what he was doing with those guys.

If only Lindy had laid off on the stick-and-scalp massages.

I'll say it again. Jack Eichel on several shifts in the defensive zone floated and was less aggressive towards the puck carrier. Not a concern just an observation about his play.

Was a general reference to several posts that were talking about him on offense. I'm not ALWAYS talking about you, Liger. I don't need to correct every post of yours since you're right sometimes. Silly goose.

Sometimes I have a thought when I see a string of posts but don't bring it up until a few days later when I feel the need.

Edited by Hoss

For as "guaranteed" as they are, I'd bet the number of faceoffs in a game is a fraction of the number of board scrums. It's really hard to argue that faceoffs are more important because they don't rely on another event...then go on to say they rely on another event. 

Minus the fact that the argument has a significant logical flaw, sure.

not really.I assume you seen where I said something like a board scrum needs things to happen during play for it to come about. regardless of what happens in the game I can guarantee at least 4 faceoffs per game (assuming the game is not cancelled). If you cannot see the enhanced value of a 1 on 1 battle that you get to setup for all I have left is to shake my head in disbelief. If you are simply trying to say that faceoffs should not be seen as a holy grail stat I can agree with you, but you seem to be saying that faceoffs are no more important compared to other 1 on 1 battles and I am sorry but that is very very wrong.

Agreed, it's his d-zone coverage that I notice him floating on. Not uncharacteristic of a rookie though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.