The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

The thing I may be looking forward to most in 2015/16 is Jack's ability to enter the zone cleanly, especially on the PP. He earned this responsibility almost immediately on USA and looked special in gaining the zone, retaining possession and setting up the play. Many times it was his speed on display - dashing in, stopping, and feeding it back to the blueline. Other times it was his quick hands and creativity. This skill set alone - something we may not have had since Myers Year 1 and the Brian Campbell years - will improve our PP dramatically. No more depending solely on the dump and chase and hope (thank God). 

Edited by GrassValleyGreg

Reminds me a lot of Peter Forsberg...fast, big, strong, impossible to get of the puck, great forechecker, backchecker, defensive stickwork...point+ a game player...

If he can be Forsberg like, we are in for a real treat...

Edited by matter2003

Reminds me a lot of Peter Forsberg...fast, big, strong, impossible to get of the puck, great forechecker, backchecker, defensive stickwork...point+ a game player...

I had a discussion with a junior coach the other day who had been watching Eichle and he asked me who I would compare Eichel to. I said his strength on the puck and vision remind me of Forsberg. 

I had a discussion with a junior coach the other day who had been watching Eichle and he asked me who I would compare Eichel to. I said his strength on the puck and vision remind me of Forsberg. 

Wow.... Forsberg without all the injuries would be awesome. I don't see him as being as physical though but if that keeps him from being on the IR list every year, I'm good with that.

Edited by jsb

There's a difference from 25 years ago though. Eichel has overtrained, and although he is very strong for his age and size, back in the day guys came into their own. on their own for the most part.

Forsberg was the best player in the league for a good 2 year stretch much like Jagr was with the same skillset for a few year, even playing at the same time as Mario. We just don't know what Eichel's body will develop into. I'm a little nervous that he may dominate this level as an 18 year old, and be a good player at the NHL level. I don't want Forsberg even mentioned in the ballpark right now. Do we not remember the Cody Hodgson works out with Gary Roberts and is captain of Team Canada? I have much higher hopes for Eichel, but he has to earn being the next Mike Ricci let alone the next Pete Forsberg.

There's a difference from 25 years ago though. Eichel has overtrained, and although he is very strong for his age and size, back in the day guys came into their own. on their own for the most part.

Forsberg was the best player in the league for a good 2 year stretch much like Jagr was with the same skillset for a few year, even playing at the same time as Mario. We just don't know what Eichel's body will develop into. I'm a little nervous that he may dominate this level as an 18 year old, and be a good player at the NHL level. I don't want Forsberg even mentioned in the ballpark right now. Do we not remember the Cody Hodgson works out with Gary Roberts and is captain of Team Canada? I have much higher hopes for Eichel, but he has to earn being the next Mike Ricci let alone the next Pete Forsberg.

Forsberg didn't come in the league until he was 21, IIRC. 

All I said was his strength on the puck (mostly the protection part), and vision reminded my of Forsberg. 

There are limits to comparisons. Eichel is RH, of course. You aren't going to see Forsberg numbers out of Eichel IMO. The league is a much different place. 

Forsberg didn't come in the league until he was 21, IIRC. 

All I said was his strength on the puck (mostly the protection part), and vision reminded my of Forsberg. 

There are limits to comparisons. Eichel is RH, of course. You aren't going to see Forsberg numbers out of Eichel IMO. The league is a much different place. 

I'm not talking about numbers, I'm talking what you are talking. The two best players I have seen are Jagr and Forsberg. Along the wall at times they looked like the 30 year old drunken uncle flicking his nephews away during the 4th of July family football game.

Vision is a different thing. I have a hard time knowing what goes into it. Back in the day, a lot of guys could anticipate where someone would be, or a defender not be, and feed the puck there without looking, or sneak in waiting for an opportunity. These days defenses are so tight that you don't see that. I would define vision as a different animal now. Girgensons has it. He takes shots that 99% wouldn't, and gets results. Today, vision is almost being a contrarian on the ice. Steve Ott has vision these days. To me, Gilmour was my favorite of the old guard that had true vision.....but Lindy didn't agree. :)

Holy mackerel Forsberg was freaking awesome.  If he'd been a Sabre, he'd have been, at worst, the 2nd-best alltime Sabre forward, with a very strong argument for a higher slot.

Holy mackerel Forsberg was freaking awesome.  If he'd been a Sabre, he'd have been, at worst, the 2nd-best alltime Sabre forward, with a very strong argument for a higher slot.

That 1991 draft could be a good sign of things to come for the Sabres. In '91 Lindros was the Connor McDavid of the that time, look at what happened, the best player in that draft was picked 6th behind such all-time greats greats as Scott Lachance, Aaron Ward and Pat Fallon. Things just don't always turn out as planned. 

Tim Murray has gotten 2 calls about moving out of #2 slot.  They were short calls.  He seems to indicate that he will pick 2.  He is very happy about picking Jack Eichel and so is his scouting staff.  Called picking #2 "The easiest decision I might make" 

"I am not going to call Peter (Chiarella).  I may make some calls on the 21st pick here" Tim Murray

"I would like to move up from 21 to get a better prospect or use 21 to get a young prospect from another team"

Where did they actually sell that? I live an 100 minute drive from the Mmarena and they sent me the draft preview w/ the stupid "Connor McSavior" cover. :angry:

All subscribers got the McDavid version.  All US newsstands had the Eichel version.

Tim Murray has gotten 2 calls about moving out of #2 slot.  They were short calls.  He seems to indicate that he will pick 2.  He is very happy about picking Jack Eichel and so is his scouting staff.  Called picking #2 "The easiest decision I might make" 

"I am not going to call Peter (Chiarella).  I may make some calls on the 21st pick here" Tim Murray

"I would like to move up from 21 to get a better prospect or use 21 to get a young prospect from another team"

Was he on GR or is this from an article?

Buffalo News Road to the Draft: Jack Eichel

"Eichel has never wasted time proving himself. As a 15-year-old member of the U.S. National Team Development Program, he stepped in and led the team in scoring despite being two years younger than most players. The next year at age 16, he led USA Hockey’s under-18 team. This season, Eichel walked onto the campus of Boston University as an untested freshman and walked off with the Hobey Baker award as the nation’s top collegiate player. He followed that by excelling at the world championships, his first competition against professional players."