5 Centers

Doohickie

Okay, here's the scenario:  GMTM has hired you to be the coach and has set your opening day roster.  The old Sabres are definitely gone because now the problem is too many quality centers.  How do you use them?  The five centers include (in alphabetical order):

Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson, McDavid and Reinhart

(or alternately Eichel, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson and Reinhart).

How do you play them?  Which center plays on what line?  Who ends up playing wing?  If you want to list out your lines with wingers, assume basically the wingers are players already in the Sabres system, plus GMTM brings in maybe one free agent in the off-season.  I have some ideas but I think I'll let others post theirs first.  And remember, you can't claim that one of the guys is traded or is playing in Rochester; this is the hand Murray has dealt to you.

I would like to see Buffalo roll four lines in the near future, so in this instance, I'm going to be using the third line as the "shut down" line, who will be primarily taking the face offs in our own zone. With that being said, I'm not going to do total lines, just key players I would like to see play together.

"First line," I'd like to see Eichel/Ennis. My reasoning for this is Eichel seems more physical than Reinhart and will be able to create space and opportunity for Ennis.

"Line two," I want to see Reinhart/Kane, essentially for the same reasoning only flipped. Kane is a tough, power forward who can score 30 or more goals. I think giving Reinhart a smart scorer to start the year will do wonders for his development and with a scoring threat like Kane, he'll have a lot of time to play his game.

"Line three," I would have Grigorenko taking the draws with Girgensons having center duties. While this season their FO% is similar, historically, Grigs has been better at draws. I think Girgs would be a huge motivator of Grigs and help him develop confidence.

"Line four" obviously falls to Larson who I would like to see paired with Deslauries. 

Man, this seems hard, especially without a cheat sheet for who shoots which way.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/buf/buffalo-sabres 

Reinhart- Right

Eichel- Right

McDavid- Left

Edited by IrwinNelson

I would like to see Buffalo roll four lines in the near future, so in this instance, I'm going to be using the third line as the "shut down" line, who will be primarily taking the face offs in our own zone. With that being said, I'm not going to do total lines, just key players I would like to see play together.

"First line," I'd like to see Eichel/Ennis. My reasoning for this is Eichel seems more physical than Reinhart and will be able to create space and opportunity for Ennis.

"Line two," I want to see Reinhart/Kane, essentially for the same reasoning only flipped. Kane is a tough, power forward who can score 30 or more goals. I think giving Reinhart a smart scorer to start the year will do wonders for his development and with a scoring threat like Kane, he'll have a lot of time to play his game.

"Line three," I would have Grigorenko taking the draws with Girgensons having center duties. While this season their FO% is similar, historically, Grigs has been better at draws. I think Girgs would be a huge motivator of Grigs and help him develop confidence.

"Line four" obviously falls to Larson who I would like to see paired with Deslauries. 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/buf/buffalo-sabres 

Reinhart- Right

Eichel- Right

McDavid- Left

I like this

My line-up would change depending on the opponent and the desired match-ups.

My base would be

1A Moulson Eichel Girgensons with Girgs taking key draws

1B Kane Reinhart Ennis

3 Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Larsson would be my jack of all trades, getting 10-12 minutes playing PK and moving up into pretty much any position when guys aren't going well, injuries occur, or when in-game situations warrant.

When we're playing a team with an explosive top line, I would match Foligno Girgensons Gionta against them.

Moulson Eichel Larsson and Kane Reinhart Ennis would be interchangeable as my other two units.

Grigs would be down on the fourth line with Deslauriers and whoever, but he could be switched with one of tank prizes if their play warranted it.

Edited by dudacek

I like this

Thanks, man. I know it's not ideal to start a lot of rookie centers, but we're already pretty poor in the dot, so it's not going to get worse there. I really think that we've got wingers on this team that suite our centers really well. 

My line-up would change depending on the opponent and the desired match-ups.

My base would be

Moulson Eichel Girgensons with Girgs taking key draws

Kane Reinhart Ennis

Foligno Grigorenko Gionta

Larsson would be my jack of all trades, getting 10-12 minutes playing PK and being moved up when guys aren't going well, injuries occur, or when in-game situations warrant.

When we're playing a team with an explosive top line, I would match Foligno Girgensons Gionta against them.

Moulson Eichel Larsson and Kane Reinhart Ennis would be interchangeable as my other two units.

Grigs would be down on the fourth line with Deslauriers and whoever, but he could be switched with one of tank prizes if their play warranted it.

Just for reference, Eichel won 51.4% of his draws this year compared to 44.2%. That's a substantial drop, granted Eichel was playing at a lower level. I don't foresee Girgensons going too much longer as a centerman. 

Thanks, man. I know it's not ideal to start a lot of rookie centers, but we're already pretty poor in the dot, so it's not going to get worse there. I really think that we've got wingers on this team that suite our centers really well. 

Just for reference, Eichel won 51.4% of his draws this year compared to 44.2%. That's a substantial drop, granted Eichel was playing at a lower level. I don't foresee Girgensons going too much longer as a centerman. 

Most rookies struggle on draws, but if Eichel is a prodigy, then great.

I'd rather have Zemgus in the middle in our zone purely for defensive assignment reasons.

Larsson the same when he's playing with Jack.

I just trust Johan and Zemgus to play better defence at this point in their careers and it's how I will compensate for the youth of our two young guns.

Edited by dudacek

Most rookies struggle on draws, but if Eichel is a prodigy, then great.

I'd rather have Zemgus in the middle in our zone purely for defensive assignment reasons.

This is the exact thing I had in mine as well, different linemates though (and while I have Z taking center responsibility, I have Grigs taking draws). I take it we have different expectations of what we see Zemgus becoming. 

Edited by IrwinNelson

Didn't feel like it.  It's a thought experiment; I made the rules the way I wanted.  Brings up an interesting point though, eh?

It is an interesting question. Do you have a rather talented Centre on the 4th line, or do you trade that player for something else you need and continue with a McCormick-compatible player in that slot. The best reason for keeping a talent on the 4th line is depth to move up when the injuries happen.

Okay, here's the scenario:  GMTM has hired you to be the coach and has set your opening day roster.  The old Sabres are definitely gone because now the problem is too many quality centers.  How do you use them?  The five centers include (in alphabetical order):

Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson, McDavid and Reinhart

(or alternately Eichel, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson and Reinhart).

How do you play them?  Which center plays on what line?  Who ends up playing wing?  If you want to list out your lines with wingers, assume basically the wingers are players already in the Sabres system, plus GMTM brings in maybe one free agent in the off-season.  I have some ideas but I think I'll let others post theirs first.  And remember, you can't claim that one of the guys is traded or is playing in Rochester; this is the hand Murray has dealt to you.

Ennis, Girgensen, Reinhart, McDavid..in no particular order

Edited by dejeanneret

This is the exact thing I had in mine as well, different linemates though (and while I have Z taking center responsibility, I have Grigs taking draws). I take it we have different expectations of what we see Zemgus becoming.

I see Zemgus as a guy who can play multiple roles. Ideally i like him as a secondary scoring line centre who draws all the tough assignments, but on this team down the road that role is probably going to be Reinhart's.

Because of that, I eventually see him as a winger with Eichel.

If we have so many good wingers he becomes our third line centre, there will be a lot of cups in our future.

I see Zemgus as a guy who can play multiple roles. Ideally i like him as a secondary scoring line centre who draws all the tough assignments, but on this team down the road that role is probably going to be Reinhart's.

Because of that, I eventually see him as a winger with Eichel.

If we have so many good wingers he becomes our third line centre, there will be a lot of cups in our future.

Don't say things like that  :blush:

I love your lines dudacek (and your curves)

Grigorenko and Reinhart will be in Roch to start the season. Larsson earned his spot. Reinhart needs his man body.

McEichel

Larsson

Girgensons

Ellis

lol no, grigorenko won't be in rochester, TM won't waive him because he'll get claimed.

You either trade him or let him play for the sabres and hope to see him improve offensively.

With the list that was given (McDavid, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, and Reinhart), I would use the following lines:

1. Kane, McDavid, Reinhart 

2. Ennis, Girgensons, Stewart / Justin Williams / Michael Frolich / Joel Ward

3. Moulson, Grigorenko, Gionta 
4. Foligno, Larsson, Kaleta / Bailey / FA

With Deslauriers waiting in the wings. This gives a mix of skill and size on each line.

Reinhart played on McDavid's line in the World Junior, so it makes sense (to me) to pair them. Kane has the speed and skill to play with them, and the size to help to protect them.

I do think that we need at least 1 RW via free agency or trade, and I am also hoping that they trade for OReily (perhaps giving up Grigorenko, McCabe, and a pick).

Ennis-McEichel-Kane

Moulson-Reinhart-Girgs

Larsson-Grigs-Gionta

Deslauriers-McCormick-Foligno

Here's a roster without any real changes per say

I'd really like Justin Williams however due to his recent Cup Winnings, clutch play, and general skill.

Forgot Larsson

Edited by thewookie1

With the list that was given (McDavid, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, and Reinhart), I would use the following lines:

With Deslauriers waiting in the wings. This gives a mix of skill and size on each line.

Reinhart played on McDavid's line in the World Junior, so it makes sense (to me) to pair them. Kane has the speed and skill to play with them, and the size to help to protect them.

I do think that we need at least 1 RW via free agency or trade, and I am also hoping that they trade for OReily (perhaps giving up Grigorenko, McCabe, and a pick).

Im not sure you'll see Moulson on the 3rd line but I'm not opposed to it. Also Sam on Connor's wing is possible and would be the one way I would want to Sam on a Wing

Don't say things like that  :blush:

I love your lines dudacek (and your curves)

I didn't say what kind of cups.  :ph34r:

When they played together, it was McDavid on Reinhart's wing.

I'm not overly hung up on who plays what position, but Reinhart is the most pure centre in the organization, iMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.