Nolan releases statement thanking everyone for his opportunity...except Murray.

dejeanneret

He probably heard he was getting fired anyway (if we heard it, he heard it) and decided to have a big "###### you" to Murray. I would've done the same thing in Nolan's shoes, thinking it'd be hilarious

It's that sort of spitefulness to the fans of Buffalo who want a top pick and to the organization that make me say "Jeez, that Teddy Nolan is a great guy and I would love for him to marry my daughter!"

At the NHL level I would say you are correct, but not at any other level (well, at least in the CHL and in Latvia).

But that's only because none of us understand whatever language they speak in Latvia when complaining about him.  That and Canadians are too polite to say bad things about him.

Seriously though, Nolan's time in the OHL is ancient history at this point.  I'm not so sure we can take anything from that anymore.  I'm not sure what to make of the very short stay in Moncton, but you probably know a bit more about that one.

But that's only because none of us understand whatever language they speak in Latvia when complaining about him.  That and Canadians are too polite to say bad things about him.

Seriously though, Nolan's time in the OHL is ancient history at this point.  I'm not so sure we can take anything from that anymore.  I'm not sure what to make of the very short stay in Moncton, but you probably know a bit more about that one.

Not all Canadians are polite.

See my post as to why he left Moncton ... horrible and disgusting situation.

He absolutely knew what he signed up for. He hit the lotto when these guys offered him the 3 year deal. Truth be known he probably would rather sit at home and collect TP's cash then to be a part of this soap opera.

Probably why he was so adamant to go against the plan. That is the only part that bugs me. TN very much coached like he didn't care about draft position. TM very much did his job like he only cared about draft position. Now Murray is going to try to act like it was somewhat on Nolan for finishing 30th? That is horseshit on Murray's part.

Tim Murray treated Nolan poorly, but then Ted knew what he signed up for and hit the lotto when he was given a three year deal?   :wallbash:

Which is it? And who is this "we"?

At least you're giving me more nonsense reasons to add to the "Hate Tim Murray" thread.

After this past press conference I question if Murray has what it takes to be a long term GM in this league. He looked and sounded like he was in over his head.

I wonder if Murray has ever had to fire anyone before.

The Sabres played hard, but they very rarely played well. 

That's my view as well, but there is no point discussing it.

One side will say the latter point is is all on Murray, the other will disagree and round, round we go.

Tim Murray treated Nolan poorly, but then Ted knew what he signed up for and hit the lotto when he was given a three year deal? :wallbash:

Which is it? And who is this "we"?

At least you're giving me more nonsense reasons to add to the "Hate Tim Murray" thread.

I don't understand your "we" comment. As I stated earlier I don't have a problem with Nolan getting canned. It was inevitable the day he signed the conract. My problem is Murray acting as if Nolan didn't do his job. Nolan did exactly what Murray knew he would do. For Murray to act like Nolan didn't live up to expectations is ludicrous.

If that is nonsense I am glad I can contribute.

It's absurd for anybody to think, much less expect, a professional head coach to purposely lose and go against a tank. ESPECIALLY if he knew he wasn't going to make it out of the arena before getting canned, why would he hurt any potential of getting another job? Disagree with Nolan as much as you want, his philosophy, his strategy, whatever................ but to get on the guy's case for not helping to contribute to a tank is absolutely ridiculous. 

Murray felt this team had enough talent to not finish in last place when the season started.  After a 13-16-2 start, many agreed.

If the season had gone in the direction that he envisioned, Murray admitted that he would have been open to extending contract talks to upcoming FA instead of trading them.

Once he saw that the team wasn't going anywhere but down is when he started selling the farm.  Whether you believe him or not is another story, but it kinda makes sense.

I sensed through the press conference that although Murray felt Nolan had the right to punish players a certain way it seemed he wasn't 100% on board with Nolan's ways.  But Murray let Nolan push the players buttons how he felt they should be pushed, yet he held him accountable with the result.  Obviously Murray felt Nolans ways didn't work.

Furthermore it's obvious Murray felt young players weren't being developed as he had hoped. We all know player development is huge for Murray.

With everything being said, due to the recent strong play of the team at seasons end.....Murray STILL went into the players meetings with an open mind with no preconceived notion on whether Nolan should be fired or not.  It was after the player meetings that he made the decision. Hence the hastily called news conference.  After a GM meets with his veteran team leaders and comes up with the conclusion to fire the coach, something was said in those meetings that swayed him toward that decision.

Many of the Sabres players after the season ended said in the media that Nolan was a nice guy, but I didn't see anyone stick their flag in the sand and say Nolan needs to stay on.  No one has come forward and said Nolan's firing was total BS.  I thought that was interesting.

It's absurd for anybody to think, much less expect, a professional head coach to purposely lose and go against a tank. ESPECIALLY if he knew he wasn't going to make it out of the arena before getting canned, why would he hurt any potential of getting another job? Disagree with Nolan as much as you want, his philosophy, his strategy, whatever................ but to get on the guy's case for not helping to contribute to a tank is absolutely ridiculous. 

The one think I liked about Nolan as a coach was his not even entertaining the thought of tanking. Some of the players, on the other hand, were all about coasting in the tank until they had their pride hurt and decided to actually put forth an honest effort after 74 games or so. 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't understand your "we" comment. As I stated earlier I don't have a problem with Nolan getting canned. It was inevitable the day he signed the conract. My problem is Murray acting as if Nolan didn't do his job. Nolan did exactly what Murray knew he would do. For Murray to act like Nolan didn't live up to expectations is ludicrous.

If that is nonsense I am glad I can contribute.

I'm puzzled you could get this out of the press conference I listened to. 

Murray seemed to go out of his way not to act like this.

Murray took responsibility for the post-deadline roster. His share of the bad communications, and he said nothing to embarrass Ted's coaching style.  

Edited by X. Benedict

I agree completely. Ted Nolan tried to win. Don't like it ? Boo f%$#in hoo. Thats his job. I got news for ya. He's not supposed to be in on the tank. And neither are the players. There's a big misconception around here that he tried to derail the tank. What a load of crap. He is paid to win hockey games.

I agree completely. Ted Nolan tried to win. Don't like it ? Boo f%$#in hoo. Thats his job. I got news for ya. He's not supposed to be in on the tank. And neither are the players. There's a big misconception around here that he tried to derail the tank. What a load of crap. He is paid to win hockey games.

Tippett was in on his team's tank.  That's perfectly fine, so long as the coach and GM are on the same page, and they both have job security.  Obviously, neither was the case here.

And Nolans loves the W's.

Tippett was in on his team's tank.  That's perfectly fine, so long as the coach and GM are on the same page, and they both have job security.  Obviously, neither was the case here.

And Nolans loves the W's.

I've seen thus stated several times here. Where is the evidence of it? (Circumstantial or other)

He played Smith almost every game after Dubnyk was traded. He played OEL a LOT. He played his top lines (what they were, he didn't have a lot to work with) consistently. What could he have done to get more out of that injury & trade depleted bunch?

I'm puzzled you could get this out of the press conference I listened to.

Murray seemed to go out of his way not to act like this.

Murray took responsibility for the post-deadline roster. His share of the bad communications, and he said nothing to embarrass Ted's coaching style.

I am not going strictly on the press conference. Basically just the fact you fired a guy for finishing 30th when everyone and their brother knew that was the goal. He can say whatever he wants that they didn't expect to finish last but he is full of shizit. Didn't we host a freaking Erie game? The guy basically admitted to McDavid wet dreams.

The early season start was not what he expected. Didn't he himself say during that stretch that he didn't expect it to last and that eventually the weighted numbers of SOG, PP%, etc. would eventually level out?

I just think the guy contradicts himself.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.