The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Carlyle's coaching and system are in the wrong time in NHL history. The Ducks possession numbers increased significantly when he left, and the Leafs did too even if the players ended up quitting. I honestly don't know if I'd watch games if Carlyle were named coach, that's how bad I think he is. May as well have kept Nolan.

One thing about Carlyle is that he sends men over the boards  like a turnstyle. He matches lines, moves lines, tinkers and cheats to get the one ice match-ups he wants. So he's not Nolan in that regard. I can see why that might be boring, but it never has been to me. He can frustrate the crap out of opposing coaches. 

Here's a piece from when Toronto hired him. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/03/randy-carlyle-28-things-to-know

Not my favorite choice, but I could live with Carlyle. 

Edited by X. Benedict

One thing about Carlyle is that he sends men over the boards  like a turnstyle. He matches lines, moves lines, tinkers and cheats to get the one ice match-ups he wants. So he's not Nolan in that regard. I can see why that might be boring, but it never has been to me. He can frustrate the crap out of opposing coaches. 

Here's a piece from when Toronto hired him. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/03/randy-carlyle-28-things-to-know

Not my favorite choice, but I could live with Carlyle. 

Carlyle's teams suck at puck possession. Those teams miraculously improve after he gets fired. Seeing as this has happened twice, I feel comfortable blaming him for that. If you want to win consistently in today's NHL, you can't have a coach who can't coach possession.

Carlyle's teams suck at puck possession. Those teams miraculously improve after he gets fired. Seeing as this has happened twice, I feel comfortable blaming him for that. If you want to win consistently in today's NHL, you can't have a coach who can't coach possession.

Only twice? That's an incredibly small sample size.

His possession stats increased after leaving the leafs?  That team was horrendous after he left.

Sounds to me like someone mischaracterized Murray/Pegula's reaction...perhaps a reaction in the moment, but, if Murray is being honest (which I have no reason to doubt), they go right back to business.

It was my response to the "Sabres brass is livid" stuff from yesterday, and it was before I ready what Murray said.  I believe that some people (Pegula, maybe Battista) may have been "livid," but I never thought that about GMTM.  

Mostly, it was just a joke.  Even if Murray was pissed, I don't think it'd bother me much.

His possession stats increased after leaving the leafs?  That team was horrendous after he left.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2015/02/24/coaching-corsi-dilemma/

Middle two graphs. 

As to why they got worse, could be a lot of things. For one, their PDO went from 101.6 to 97.2 the rest of the way. Besides, Carlyle was fired after the team lost 7 out of 10, so it's not like they weren't already sliding.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2015/02/24/coaching-corsi-dilemma/

Middle two graphs. 

As to why they got worse, could be a lot of things. For one, their PDO went from 101.6 to 97.2 the rest of the way. Besides, Carlyle was fired after the team lost 7 out of 10, so it's not like they weren't already sliding.

I'm not a big follower of Corsi stats but respect them.  Just seems strange that those stats were higher when the team went 9-28-5 when he was replaced than the 21-16-3 record he had before he was fired. 

I'm not a big follower of Corsi stats but respect them. Just seems strange that those stats were higher when the team went 9-28-5 when he was replaced than the 21-16-3 record he had before he was fired.

Unsustainable percentages were driving the results. It happens. Besides, I'm not saying the Leafs were good after he got fired, just saying he's bad :)

I guess I'm not getting the WGR reference. Was it a dig?

To be honest, GMTM sounded like he was in high spirits even though they didn't get Babcock.  He told everyone what the conversation was about the power that Babcock might have demanded and said they were getting back at it looking for a new coach.

Have a listen, he was only scheduled to be on for 10 minutes but stayed for over 20.  Can't say I didn't like hearing him talk either.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Tim-Murray-discusses-Babcock/21546278

I have not been a huge Murray fan. I felt he said some very inexperienced things. I listened to that entire interview and came away with a different opinion. Thought he was great.

I wasn't certain how I felt about Murray at first. He's a weird dude which is cool. Not afraid to pull the trigger which is great. The more comfortable he becomes as a GM the better he gets. I feel confident he will hire a good coach for the current situation.

I have not been a huge Murray fan. I felt he said some very inexperienced things. I listened to that entire interview and came away with a different opinion. Thought he was great.

Wow. Glad to hear this. I thought he came off great as well but I've always been a fan.  :flirt:

I especially liked how they said they were at the ten minute mark and he was more than happy to keep talking. He also said he may have came off incorrectly when he talked about losing the first pick at the lottery. I think he's a good guy and he's more than willing to clear up misconceptions, and I got the impression he doesn't always come off like he would hope, which is something I definitely know about myself...

Edited by MBHockey13

I was not a Murray fan either but I thought this was his best presser so far. I guess he is talking with Bylsma as he wouldn't confirm nor deny it. He said he doesn't like to make the candidates known as it is a job search and likes to keep that confidential. But Disco Dan is on the short list. 

How come no one has mentioned Ron Wilson? He's come close to winning a Cup? Is he available? Works well with youth!

See what I did there? :P

Torts would be a blast actually. I just like listening to him lose his $#@! with the media. I miss him!