The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

I'm still not in on Dan Bylsma and I wouldn't be excited if he was hired. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed, but I don't believe he's a better option than guys like Blashill and Richardson. We know less about them as NHL coaches, but I don't like what I do know about Bylsma.

Having lived in near Pittsburgh for over half of his tenure I got to watch a lot of Pens hockey and talked to a lot of people. He wasn't very well liked down the stretch. His team's constantly underachieved despite being uber talented.

I think a GM needs to make sure the players they acquire fit the coaches system and what they have, but Bylsma didn't adjust well when they added guys like Iginla and Morrow late in his tenure. That was probably what was the final straw in getting Shero and DB fired. Poor judgement by Shero and poor adjustment by Bylsma. (Which brings up a separate topic about how the GM and coach must work together)

Dreger:

McLellan's future expected to be finalized this week. Still some teams sniffing around, but the Oilers expected to formally hire him....

Babcock and Holland in the air now returning to Det. Plan was to talk on the flight, meet again tomorrow and make a decision by mid-week...

Pete DeBoer was also on Edmtn's radar. It's believed the Sharks want a second interview with DeBoer. Bylsma, Carlyle and Dave Lowry in mix

Edited by Hoss

I'm still not in on Dan Bylsma and I wouldn't be excited if he was hired. I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed, but I don't believe he's a better option than guys like Blashill and Richardson. We know less about them as NHL coaches, but I don't like what I do know about Bylsma.

Having lived in near Pittsburgh for over half of his tenure I got to watch a lot of Pens hockey and talked to a lot of people. He wasn't very well liked down the stretch. His team's constantly underachieved despite being uber talented.

I think a GM needs to make sure the players they acquire fit the coaches system and what they have, but Bylsma didn't adjust well when they added guys like Iginla and Morrow late in his tenure. That was probably what was the final straw in getting Shero and DB fired. Poor judgement by Shero and poor adjustment by Bylsma. (Which brings up a separate topic about how the GM and coach must work together)

I don't think the facts bear out the bolded parts.  Morrow was out of gas when he got to Pittsburgh.  Iginla was a short-term rental -- he played all of 13 regular season games (and scored 11 points) and 15 playoff games (and scored 12 points) with the Pens. 

As for whether the Pens underachieved -- in his 5 full seasons, they put up 101, 106, 108, 72 (in 48 games) and 109 points.  In their first year without him, they dropped from 109 to 98 points.  They didn't do as well in the playoffs -- 1 SC, 1 conf. finals, 2 2nd-round exits & 2 1st-round exits -- but a lot of that is on Fleury, whose SV% for the 5 years after their SC was .891, .899, .834, .883 and .915.

If we fail to land Babcock, i really think we will prioritize towards Peter DeBoer or Paul MacLean.

MacLean is actually a very intriguing guy. He's always done a good job with Ottawa until this year where he had many poor decisions which finally led him to be fired. Like for example, how did Mark Stone go from a healthy scratch in games to one of the better scorers under Dave Cameron? That said, Hammond getting hot is why Ottawa made a push to the playoffs, nobody could of predicted that.

I havn't seen MacLean's name mentioned with any other club yet, either.

I don't think the facts bear out the bolded parts.  Morrow was out of gas when he got to Pittsburgh.  Iginla was a short-term rental -- he played all of 13 regular season games (and scored 11 points) and 15 playoff games (and scored 12 points) with the Pens. 

As for whether the Pens underachieved -- in his 5 full seasons, they put up 101, 106, 108, 72 (in 48 games) and 109 points.  In their first year without him, they dropped from 109 to 98 points.  They didn't do as well in the playoffs -- 1 SC, 1 conf. finals, 2 2nd-round exits & 2 1st-round exits -- but a lot of that is on Fleury, whose SV% for the 5 years after their SC was .891, .899, .834, .883 and .915.

On them dipping this year: the injury problems they had throughout the year are probably a bigger reason for that.

On Iginla: having watched most of their games post deadline the point production was fine but the offense was a mess half the time. Constantly going offside if Iginla was the one bringing it in because he was a step slower than his linemates. Turnovers because he would try to slow it down while the other forwards wanted to just go. It was hectic. That's where my lack of adjustment comment comes from.

If we fail to land Babcock, i really think we will prioritize towards Peter DeBoer or Paul MacLean.

MacLean is actually a very intriguing guy. He's always done a good job with Ottawa until this year where he had many poor decisions which finally led him to be fired. Like for example, how did Mark Stone go from a healthy scratch in games to one of the better scorers under Dave Cameron? That said, Hammond getting hot is why Ottawa made a push to the playoffs, nobody could of predicted that.

I havn't seen MacLean's name mentioned with any other club yet, either.

What is the appeal of Peter DeBoer? I really don't get it. He made the playoffs once. Sure, they made a cup run that year, but otherwise he had one season over 90 points. He would be worst-case in my mind. Paul MacLean started off well in Ottawa, but one of those seasons was a shortened season where he got ridiculous goaltending across the board. His other playoff appearance was with a talented squad that barely got in. If we're going with the Ottawa connection just hire Richardson.

Besides Babcock,do we know anyone who has definitely interviewed with Buffalo?

Richardson, McLellan and Deboer have been linked by the media, and McLean speculated.

But has anyone confirmed interviews? And Bylsma, I haven't seen his name linked to the Sabres by the media at all.

Besides Babcock,do we know anyone who has definitely interviewed with Buffalo?

Richardson, McLellan and Deboer have been linked by the media, and McLean speculated.

But has anyone confirmed interviews? And Bylsma, I haven't seen his name linked to the Sabres by the media at all.

I don't believe anybody has been interviewed. I think Murray briefly spoke with McLellan on the phone, but otherwise nothing. Waiting on Babcock.

So San Jose and St Louis are jumping into the mix. San Jose seems a lot like Detroit in terms players. St Louis is ready to win and probably is the number one threat to land Babcock. Should be interesting.

This is according to a guy that claims to be a "retired sports writer" with 200 followers. St. Louis still hasn't fired their coach. I don't think we should assume this is true.

Blah!!!

The Buffalo Sabres have no room for a 44 year old coach who averages 110 points over the course of a season and as many playoff series victories as Lindy Ruff had since 1998........

I don't believe anybody has been interviewed. I think Murray briefly spoke with McLellan on the phone, but otherwise nothing. Waiting on Babcock.

This is according to a guy that claims to be a "retired sports writer" with 200 followers. St. Louis still hasn't fired their coach. I don't think we should assume this is true.

This is where I got it from

@THNMattLarkin: Makes sense to hear Blues want to speak with Babcock. I've been trumpeting them all along. Turnkey operation for him. Loaded roster.

But hopefully their interest turns out to be false

@THNMattLarkin: Makes sense to hear Blues want to speak with Babcock. I've been trumpeting them all along. Turnkey operation for him. Loaded roster.

What about San Jose?

And that guy is a douche. I don't know how long you've followed him for but he writes some of the dumbest and makes the absolute worst jokes. I've seen no legitimate reports, just people speculating on what seems like something they just heard around the twittersphere. His tweet seems to be doing the same.

No, it's Friedman saying the night of the draft lottery that he was a leading candidate for the Sabres job and that Murray knows him since it was pretty much a coinflip between DeBoer and McLean for the Ottawa job.

My comment was about apparent League-wide interest in him. The Ottawa thing only explains Murray's interest.

Wouldn't St. Louis just be a lateral step? They seem to be in almost identical condition as Detroit. Pietrangelo > DeKeyser, but I don't see much difference outside of that.

My comment was about apparent League-wide interest in him. The Ottawa thing only explains Murray's interest.

Wouldn't St. Louis just be a lateral step? They seem to be in almost identical condition as Detroit. Pietrangelo > DeKeyser, but I don't see much difference outside of that.

On St. Louis....

Hitchcock is the biggest analytics guy in the league. He has admitted they have a service that feeds him information direct to the bench during the game....

Make of that what you will....

For as much as GoDD looks into every little detail and talks about the ways guys talk in the media you would think he'd be turned off by one of those Bylsma clips. He said "let's go get those b!tches." First - who talks like that? Second - he said "b!tches" like he was afraid that his mom was in the room.

Edited by Hoss

For as much as GoDD looks into every little detail and talks about the ways guys talk in the media you would think he'd be turned off by one of those Bylsma clips. He said "let's go get those b!tches." First - who talks like that? Second - he said "b!tches" like he was afraid that his mom was in the room.

You clearly have never encountered me in rec sports  :ph34r: