Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

I'm no stenographer - here goes. GMTM talked personally with Z. Told him his teammates and coaches expected more. Part of becoming a man. Said Z is still immature. Compared him to a young, but more mature, Risto. Tellingly, said coach has to reach out to 19 year olds because 19 year olds don't reach out to you.

I think this is also worked into it. Maybe I heard it wrong. My bad, if I am off base.

Completely agreed -- but I will say that Murray seems a bit too "it's my way or the highway." He seems to be of the mind that the head coach should have little to no say in personnel decisions which I think is tough to deal with. They should be involved if they're going to be coaching the group... Obviously the pro scouts, GM and AHL coaches will know a bit more about the guys worth getting but I think the coach should be involved.

Agree back atcha.

I was on board with Nolan staying and I have always been a fan. The man has character and integrity and I admire him as a motivator. That being said if this move improves the team you make it. Anything you can do to improve the team you do. Because I respected TN I gave him a lot of rope and let things slide at times but I felt he had earned that with his first go round and with the way he held players accountable for their actions which I feel you have to do as a coach. If its Richardson that is hired I won't be giving him any passes as he has earned absolutely nothing in my book. No experience coaching in the show isn't going to help this team. Babcock I'd be on board with. 

Murray said that but it was weird. It was really strange to pull Zadorov in as an example of why Nolan was fired. Kind of like, we didn't see eye to eye, but what he did, hey, it was his call. Something had to be done. Then he mentioned that Zadorov needed help and didn't receive it. I took it as Murray thinking more resources should have been put on the young guys.

And that is a huge point and a huge misconception. TN is not great with young players, especially young talented pkayers.

I took it that way. It sounded like -- after 6 hours of player interviews, this had to be done. He later said, all the players said Nolan was a good man. But I think as fans, we have said that too. We like him, but want someone else going forward. (Sorry to the 10 people on the poll who wanted him to stay -- I am referencing the 50 people who were indifferent or wanted change.)

I definitely felt that he implied the player exit interviews were the final straw. Edited by tom webster

From Buffalo News article today explaining what might have been the cause:

" Nolan had difficulty putting together his coaching staff last summer, and failed to bring in a proven defensive-minded assistant to groom Buffalo's young core of defensemen, who struggled with consistency this season.

Nolan also had a poor working relationship with general manager Tim Murray, as the two barely consulted this year."

Nolan was pissed about some of the players he wanted being in Rochester and probably having a revolving door in goal most of the year...he knew what he was signing up for, but probably din't think it would be this bad...

Well, that lack of strategic thinking on Nolan's part shows why Nolan wasn't a good long term fit for the team.   Why would he be pissed?   This was a throwaway year - how could he not understand the Tank or be onboard with it?  

I'm inclined to think GMTM has a VERY solid candidate all but locked up, or the firing wouldn't be this quick.  

Swimming in my head ...

My view that Ted didn't develop younger guys very well (the last ten games notwithstanding), Tom's point (above), GMTMs comments about reaching out to 19 year olds ..... all juxtaposed with TN's success in Juniors and the Olympics.

Well, that lack of strategic thinking on Nolan's part shows why Nolan wasn't a good long term fit for the team.   Why would he be pissed?   This was a throwaway year - how could he not understand the Tank or be onboard with it?  

I'm inclined to think GMTM has a VERY solid candidate all but locked up, or the firing wouldn't be this quick.  

Well he does have the entire offseason to find a replacement.

Completely agreed -- but I will say that Murray seems a bit too "it's my way or the highway." He seems to be of the mind that the head coach should have little to no say in personnel decisions which I think is tough to deal with. They should be involved if they're going to be coaching the group... Obviously the pro scouts, GM and AHL coaches will know a bit more about the guys worth getting but I think the coach should be involved.

I think a lot of that has to do with Nolan being his coach. I'd be shocked to see us bring in a name coach and have Murray behave the same way.

I don't follow. They had other centers at the time and Nolan chose Patty? I really don't think that happened.

This is precisely what I'm saying.

I am on the other side. I think coaches are too focused the day to day to be the primary decision maker. In a situation, for example the Myers trade, where it really impacts the chemistry of the team then yeah I want to know what the coach thinks. But that might not be applicable this year when the tear down was coming to an end. Going forward I think it applies. Edited by 3putt

I was on board with Nolan staying and I have always been a fan. The man has character and integrity and I admire him as a motivator. That being said if this move improves the team you make it. Anything you can do to improve the team you do. Because I respected TN I gave him a lot of rope and let things slide at times but I felt he had earned that with his first go round and with the way he held players accountable for their actions which I feel you have to do as a coach. If its Richardson that is hired I won't be giving him any passes as he has earned absolutely nothing in my book. No experience coaching in the show isn't going to help this team. Babcock I'd be on board with.

Agreed dont need a rookie coach... If that is Murray's plan I will be advocating Murray be fired from jump.

The players wanted him gone. But -- he didn't just say that. Implied it.

Sorry for the confusion -- I don't know where the 30th part came into play here.

I heard that implication and I do wonder from where it came.  It may have come from more skilled guys who want an X-and-O coach.  It may have come from guys like Hodgson who have talent that Nolan can't find use for.  Either way, or if it is something else, it is interesting.

I don't follow. They had other centers at the time and Nolan chose Patty? I really don't think that happened.

I don't recall that either.

He wasn't stuck with one center, and I don't think he was stuck even with one fourth line center.

And that is a huge point and a huge misconception. TN is not great with young players, especially young talented pkayers.

I definitely felt that he implied the player exit interviews were the final straw.

TW - I hate the way Grigorenko has been handled since the draft. And the way Nolan treated him made me upset. I was a regular poster criticizing Grigorenko being on the 4th line with no talent, and I admit that I was not always right with my facts. Grigorenko started playing pretty nice recently. I never thought Nolan was good with kids and I think Risto was going to be a star, regardless. I started to second guess myself after Grigo turned it on. So, I have agreed with your opinion that he is not good with young talent.

I think Murray said that he expected/expects more from Risto which I take to be additional criticism of Nolan not being good with the young talent, and I think maybe Grigo started to buy into the politics of saying the right things and earned playing time and that's really why we saw his improvement.

I am on the other side. I think coaches are too focused the day to be the primary decision maker. In a situation, for example the Myers trade, where it really impacts the chemistry of the team then yeah I want to know what the coach thinks. But that might not be applicable this year when the tear down was coming to an end. Going forward I think it applies.

It depends on the situation. I think the coach should give input on the TYPES of players he wants, but maybe not the specific names in most cases.

I just want to add that with coaches you're always going to have those that love them and another group that hate them. Its the way of the room. I'm not sure that part of TMGMs interview should be held up as some kind of revelation for Teds firing. Imo.

Swimming in my head ...

My view that Ted didn't develop younger guys very well (the last ten games notwithstanding), Tom's point (above), GMTMs comments about reaching out to 19 year olds ..... all juxtaposed with TN's success in Juniors and the Olympics.

I have always believed that a motivational coach, like Nolan, can win short-term with compete level speeches and motivating players by getting them to like you. I don't think that works long term. I think that evidence speaks to why he has success in juniors and olympics (short-term) versus NHL (long-term.) On top of that, there is the highest level of talent on display and if you are not going to outplay, and without a talented team, you better be able to outcoach. Don't know how you can do that when you don't coach x's and o's.

I just want to add that with coaches you're always going to have those that love them and another group that hate them. Its the way of the room. I'm not sure that part of TMGMs interview should be held up as some kind of revelation for Teds firing. Imo.

It agree; I think it was a footnote really. To me, the meat of the presser was the working relationship between the two and hinting at disagreements between them.

I have always believed that a motivational coach, like Nolan, can win short-term with compete level speeches and motivating players by getting them to like you. I don't think that works long term. I think that evidence speaks to why he has success in juniors and olympics (short-term) versus NHL (long-term.) On top of that, there is the highest level of talent on display and if you are not going to outplay, and without a talented team, you better be able to outcoach. Don't know how you can do that when you don't coach x's and o's.

Insight - grateful.

It depends on the situation. I think the coach should give input on the TYPES of players he wants, but maybe not the specific names in most cases.

Would you let the coach choose Marner over say Eichel? Two different types of players. My point is that if the GM has an eye for talent and can give the coach a stable of horses, it is up to the coach to figure out how to use them most effectively. It could be scheme, combinations, teaching whatever, that is what great coaches do imho

When asked about Zadorov, the first thing he did was chuckle. Murray said he had a sit-down with Zadorov, and told him he really needs to mature. Said your teammates and coaches lose respect when you don't work hard/misbehave. He goes on to say Risto is a much more mature player, and also took bigger strides. He ends it with saying he told Zadorov he needs to grow up, get in shape, and become a man. He says we'll wait and see what happens with his growth this offseason

GMTM talk for I'm kind of thinking of trading him.

Would you let the coach choose Marner over say Eichel? Two different types of players. My point is that if the GM has an eye for talent and can give the coach a stable of horses, it is up to the coach to figure out how to use them most effectively. It could be scheme, combinations, teaching whatever, that is what great coaches do imho

No. I'm not talking the draft. I'm not saying the coach should be "choosing" anything...

If a coach comes and says "I want Jordin Tootoo instead of Lee Stempniak on my 4th line" then I will consider that if it seems to be a well-reasoned thought.

I will be honest, I have no idea what kind of success he had in juniors but the Olympic thing is being blown out of proportion. He had a goalie okay out of his head, gained some plaudits for it but didn't win a thing. And just check out the average age of the team.

Edited by tom webster

Hmm, if Babcock is the target, but Murray is supposedly a my-way-or-the-highway kind of guy, I see a disconnect here. I don't think Babcock would like being left out of player decisions, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think Murray's explanation of "chemistry" is probably more accurate; I can see Nolan and Murray not mixing well, not talking much over beers, but I can see Babcock and Murray having a grand ol' time over beers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.