What if Eichel Decides to Return to BU Next Year?

Dave Dryden

Given the tag under his name, I'd assume Dave would care.

I see.  Yes.  Good point. 

Well, McDavid is the better option and he will be selected first overall.  That is not in doubt.

The only doubt surrounds who will be selecting him in the No. 1 slot.

Let's hope it's the Sabres.  If not, Eichel is one hell of a player too.

I would have no problem with any player(McDavid included) going back to juniors, college or ahl. I would like every player to get at least a season in the minors before coming to the big league. IMO that is the best way to develop talent. Patience is key. I want Reinhart in Rochester next year.

Edited by Kr632

I would have no problem with any player(McDavid included) going back to juniors, college or ahl. I would like every player to get at least a season in the minors before coming to the big league. IMO that is the best way to develop talent. Patience is key. I want Reinhart in Rochester next year.

These 2 grew up playing against kids older than them. They are the proverbial exceptions to the rule and would not gain anything in the AHL that they won't gain in the NHL.

If Eichel stayed at BU AND Reinhart stayed in Rochester, just prepare for Tank #3 even though they won't reaaaalllllyyy be tanking on purpose this time. They would definitely be a bottom 3 team and it would be another really looooong season to endure. Aw screw it, who's the top prospect for 2016 draft?

If Eichel stayed at BU AND Reinhart stayed in Rochester, just prepare for Tank #3 even though they won't reaaaalllllyyy be tanking on purpose this time. They would definitely be a bottom 3 team and it would be another really looooong season to endure. Aw screw it, who's the top prospect for 2016 draft?

Neither of those things will happen...

Reinhart out performed McDavid at the World Juniors. If you think McDavid - the greatest prospect since Crosby - needs time in a lower league before he can play in the NHL you have an incredibly warped understanding of hockey. Therefore, why a player who is further along in his development would need it is also hard to explain. Note - I said Reinhart is further along in his development, not that he is the better talent.

Eichel is apparently on a GPA below 1 and on academic probation. There is a real chance he basically isn't allowed back. He also has nothing to prove there. He was voted the best player in the NCAA...what else is there for him to achieve? It would have been nice if he won the cup, but plenty of prospects miss out on the memorial cup - they don't consider skipping the NHL for a year to have one more shot at it.

Honestly, this mentality some of you guys have is ludicrous 

Whoever is the source, either they got it from Eichel or they are breaking the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. 

Or it is bogus...

bogus

The only thing I could find was a reddit post with somebody claiming to hear it from Jack himself that he had a 0.9 GPA and was on academic probation... with no source to back it up other than "from the horses mouth".    So yeah, let's start spreading rumors that he's a dunce.... nice.

source?

Honestly, this is just hear-say.

That said, I have seen it on a variety of independent websites. So it might be completely bogus, or maybe it is a truth that has been spread by word of mouth. Should be taken with a grain of salt (hence the use of allegedly/apparently)

bogus

The only thing I could find was a reddit post with somebody claiming to hear it from Jack himself that he had a 0.9 GPA and was on academic probation... with no source to back it up other than "from the horses mouth".    So yeah, let's start spreading rumors that he's a dunce.... nice.

Difference between someone who is a dunce and someone who focuses on playing hockey so doesn't get the work done.

Eichel finished high school a year early so he would be NCAA eligible. Doesn't strike me as an idiot.  Also I just spent an some time looking for anything on twitter from literally ANYONE, no one has tweeted anything about Eichel and Probation or GPA or Academics etc... 

Honestly, this is just hear-say.

That said, I have seen it on a variety of independent websites. So it might be completely bogus, or maybe it is a truth that has been spread by word of mouth. Should be taken with a grain of salt (hence the use of allegedly/apparently)

Difference between someone who is a dunce and someone who focuses on playing hockey so doesn't get the work done.

All NCAA sports programs have tutors to make sure all the school work is done and whatnot... it's just part of the program.    I find it very hard to believe he's not up to snuff academically.  

In fact, here's an actual source which indicates he's trying to figure out a way to take his exams and still play in the World Championships in early May....

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/12/report-eichel-invited-to-join-team-usa-at-worlds/

As most of you know I'm typically pretty aware of what is going on in BU circles, but this is the first time I have seen any question of his grades. That's not to say he might not have low numbers, but the term academic probation has never once been uttered. Then again, when a player knows they are a one and done, they only have to try for one semester.

The numbers being stated sound like a re-creation of the Chris Bourque story from 10 or so years ago.

Neither of those things will happen...

Reinhart out performed McDavid at the World Juniors. If you think McDavid - the greatest prospect since Crosby - needs time in a lower league before he can play in the NHL you have an incredibly warped understanding of hockey. Therefore, why a player who is further along in his development would need it is also hard to explain. Note - I said Reinhart is further along in his development, not that he is the better talent.

Eichel is apparently on a GPA below 1 and on academic probation. There is a real chance he basically isn't allowed back. He also has nothing to prove there. He was voted the best player in the NCAA...what else is there for him to achieve? It would have been nice if he won the cup, but plenty of prospects miss out on the memorial cup - they don't consider skipping the NHL for a year to have one more shot at it.

Honestly, this mentality some of you guys have is ludicrous

How about we don't ever compare McDavid and Reinhart again. Other than that, keep going....

Jack Eichel's GPA, whatever it may be, is likely considerably lowered because he is committed to hockey.  Let's say it's actually a 2.0.  It might be a 3.0, even a 3.5, otherwise.  It's Boston U, not Ohio State.  I don't think that school (BU) is protecting athletes.

Can we let this rest and move on to the actual concept of Holy , he might be playing here next year?!

I've always admired GPAs in that range--I feel like caring so little, yet enough to occasionally do something, is fairly difficult to accomplish.

They key is a lot a alcohol. My first semester frosh year was 0.4, they told me I needed to raise it or they'd boot me. Second semester I doubled my previous semester's GPA. Needless to say, I didn't get my degree from that school.

They key is a lot a alcohol. My first semester frosh year was 0.4, they told me I needed to raise it or they'd boot me. Second semester I doubled my previous semester's GPA. Needless to say, I didn't get my degree from that school.

I think they're talking about GPA and not BAC.  Just a guess, though.

I almost failed out of the Engineering School at Notre Dame my second semester Sophmore year (The engineering school had different min GPA standards, so I would have been able to stay and go to a different school).

The cause was FIFA 2003.

It was totally worth it, I won 148 consecutive matches in the dorm-wide ladder league.

Jack Eichel's GPA, whatever it may be, is likely considerably lowered because he is committed to hockey. Let's say it's actually a 2.0. It might be a 3.0, even a 3.5, otherwise. It's Boston U, not Ohio State. I don't think that school (BU) is protecting athletes.

Can we let this rest and move on to the actual concept of Holy ######, he might be playing here next year?!

They definitely protect their hockey players at BU.

We're now trying to guess and downgrade him based on a speculation of his GPA?

I wonder what kind of things people will find to say about McDavid if we win the lottery?

If Eichel's GPA was low, means he doesnt care one bit. Then how come he'll only play for USA in the World Championships if BU allows him to take the finals overseas? Doesnt add up to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.