What would you give up for Mike Babcock?

Chris in Syracuse

It seems there is no hashing out with Murray. He has hung Nolan out to dry before. Nolan needed a center and Murray said no. Kaleta had to play center which he hadn't in years. I can't see how any good coach would want to work with Murray.

I have no idea what your talking about with Murray/Nolan, but any coach good or bad would want to coach talented players. Except Nolan. Your perspective is being clouded by the tank. But we have no more inventory to sell cheaply. Player/prospect movement from here on out will be hockey moves. If Murray can address the starting goalie situation quickly, the Sabres will become a highly desirable gig.

It seems like you're completely ignoring the situation the team is in and the obvious plan that has been in place for years now.

We have all suffered through the plan. If I am wrong so be it but that IMHO is how I see Murray. He let's the coaches coach which is a good but is not very good at working with coaches in any other capacity. He sits on his perch dreaming of Connor.

No I get it. I already admitted that my original post was off. But it's hard for you to get past that.

It's completely fair to exclude blips like Lou/MacT...

My original response wasn't an attempt to be whatever ######## is.  I was merely answering the question, and acknowledging the post question conditions.  It's not terribly difficult for me to get past any of this,  But the reaction is usually entertaining enough to choose not to.   ;)

And while I think he is a good, no, very good coach and I've advocated bringing him on, I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for the Sabres.  He can coach talent for sure, but do the Sabres have enough?

I think he's the perfect fit. He's shown he can coach talent (which we'll have) and has shown he can put young players in situations to succeed, which we'll also have plenty of. Absolutely perfect. Just look at what Detroit is doing without Lidstrom and a rapidly aging Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

And while I think he is a good, no, very good coach and I've advocated bringing him on, I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for the Sabres.  He can coach talent for sure, but do the Sabres have enough?

I think he's the perfect fit. He's shown he can coach talent (which we'll have) and has shown he can put young players in situations to succeed, which we'll also have plenty of. Absolutely perfect. Just look at what Detroit is doing without Lidstrom and a rapidly aging Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Agreed.

Though there are several very good coaches out there (a handful of which are extremely likely to be available this off-season (sorry Mr. Nolan)), based on his work in Anaheim, Detroit, & the Olympics he'd get my nod as currently the best.

If he does break off ties w/ Detroit; seal the deal Mr. GM. He might be worth that extra 5-10 game improvement they need to make the playoffs. (Above the 15 game improvement the currently anticipated opening day roster should be worth.)

As good a coach as he is, nothing.  If he wants to coach in Buffalo he will make his intentions known after the playoffs.  When he can negotiate.  There is absolutely no reason to pay anything for a potential head coaching vacancy.  Trading for head coaches is beyond asinine.  The times it has happened, I just chuckle.  

It seems there is no hashing out with Murray. He has hung Nolan out to dry before. Nolan needed a center and Murray said no. Kaleta had to play center which he hadn't in years. I can't see how any good coach would want to work with Murray.

What? Is this anti-logic Monday.  Where are these magical players coming from.  To his credit Nolan has done an admirable job with the talent provided.  You're telling me you'd rather give up a 1st and other assets for a pending UFA like Vermette than keep those picks for the ability to have flexible cap spendings for this offseason.  What are Matt Moulson, Brian Gionta, and the others he's signed or Tyler Ennis to a contract extension.  Is that not committing to players who are able to play now.  What are the trades for  Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian.  Please explain.  I'm baffled by your irrational thought process.  Bashing on Murray is fine if you have a standalone well thought out point.  This is just rubbish. 

We've had two: Imlach and Bowman.

I remember Bowman handling both. IMO Murray is executing his vision. I am on board with what seems to be his vision. He has done a good job thus far with stockpiling picks, and assets for the future. We are on the upswing, even as bad as things seem now.

Got to this...stopped reading, as it completely described how I felt.  I think I need a break from this place, at least until I close on the house.

GL. Just sold mine in Maryland Friday, and moved back to Buffalo. Keep your head up it will be over soon.... Edited by DirtDart

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.