2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

I too have been reasonably happy with McCabe -- he looks like he'll develop into a real NHL defenseman, which the Sabres (and everyone else) can certainly use more of.

To follow up on Kane and the Jets -- even last year with his injured shoulder, he was one of 4 forwards within 45 seconds or so of being #1 in ice time among forwards.

0.36 ppg is actually a fairly substantial difference.

And that is part of what he brings to the table.  (Although given how lousy the Sabres' PK has been, perhaps I shouldn't mention it!)

Weber's Corsi is lousy, to be sure, but I assume the high D-zone starts has a fair bit to do with that.

The D-zone starts also show that he plays the tough minutes and takes the tough assignments.  I think it's useful for the Sabres to be able to give him those assignments and take the pressure off Risto, Pysyk and McCabe.

He also led the team last year in blocked shots and led all defensemen in hits.

He clears the crease.  He throws his body in front of shots.  He'll lay a big hit on an opposing forward when he gets the chance.  And he comes to his teammates' defense.

I'll say it again:  there's a thin blue line, ladies and gentlemen, that makes sacrifices and bravely stands between us and the savages.

And some of you just want to throw him over.

I'm going to be sick.

0.36 ppg sure is a big difference. Of course, Kane and O'Reilly's careers are only separated by 0.036 :nana:

Weber's Corsi is lousy, to be sure, but I assume the high D-zone starts has a fair bit to do with that.

The D-zone starts also show that he plays the tough minutes and takes the tough assignments.  I think it's useful for the Sabres to be able to give him those assignments and take the pressure off Risto, Pysyk and McCabe.

He also led the team last year in blocked shots and led all defensemen in hits.

He clears the crease.  He throws his body in front of shots.  He'll lay a big hit on an opposing forward when he gets the chance.  And he comes to his teammates' defense.

I'll say it again:  there's a thin blue line, ladies and gentlemen, that makes sacrifices and bravely stands between us and the savages.

And some of you just want to throw him over.

I'm going to be sick.

I don't understand this love for Weber just because he's played hard. Tons of guys play hard: Kaleta, McCormick, Ellis, etc. He's only been here 6 years, and he's only 27. This isn't some 12 year vet on the team who's meant everything to the city and is the heart and soul of the team, it's a bottom pair defender who's played decently at the job you've detailed above. Claiming we should keep him because his level of play is just good enough and for his sacrifice doesn't separate savage, ruthless fans from those who care about their players

Edited by WildCard

Breaking down Mike Weber, we have 172 hits, and 168 blocked shots for 21st and 12th in the league respectively. Not bad, but does that really mean anything? Here are similar stats for some other defenders, tell me who you'd take

Player A: 53 hits, 209 blocked shots

Player B: 166 hits, 147 blocked shots

Player C: 97 hits, 142 blocked shots

Player D: 166 hits, 126 blocked shots

Player E: 202 hits, 189 blocked shots

Player F: 152 hits, 144 shots

Player G: 170 hits, 140 blocked shots

You know what those stats tell me? It tells me blocked shots and hits are a terrible way to measure a defender. Because 4 of those players are in the top 10 in d-men in the league, and the other 4 are 'meh' at best. 

So, what should we look at? Well, we can start here, at the NHL equivalent of MLB's WAR. And, guess where Mike Weber places on the charts for FF/FA and

Scoring Chances For/Scoring Chances Against? DFL, that's where. Or, as labeled on their graphs, "Overwhelmed." And, consistent with our intuitions about good d-men, all of the usual suspects for top defenders in the league rank at the top of these categories.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/one-timers/using-advanced-stats-to-classify-nhl-defenseman-types/

On the other hand, noted defensive deadweights like Dion Phaneuf, Mike Weber, and Andrew Ference pop up in the “overwhelmed” quadrant, surrendering many attempts against and generating few in their favour.

Edited by WildCard

You're an awesome poster nfreeman, but you gotta let the little stuff like this go.

Letting stuff go is over rated, and telling someone they should do something over rated is obnoxious. You have offended my family and you have offended the Shaolin Temple.

0.36 ppg sure is a big difference. Of course, Kane and O'Reilly's careers are only separated by 0.036 :nana:

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhh.   You got me.  That one stings.

Breaking down Mike Weber, we have 172 hits, and 168 blocked shots for 21st and 12th in the league respectively. Not bad, but does that really mean anything? Here are similar stats for some other defenders, tell me who you'd take

Player A: 53 hits, 209 blocked shots

Player B: 166 hits, 147 blocked shots

Player C: 97 hits, 142 blocked shots

Player D: 166 hits, 126 blocked shots

Player E: 202 hits, 189 blocked shots

Player F: 152 hits, 144 shots

Player G: 170 hits, 140 blocked shots

You know what those stats tell me? It tells me blocked shots and hits are a terrible way to measure a defender. Because 4 of those players are in the top 10 in d-men in the league, and the other 4 are 'meh' at best. 

So, what should we look at? Well, we can start here, at the NHL equivalent of MLB's WAR. And, guess where Mike Weber places on the charts for FF/FA and

Scoring Chances For/Scoring Chances Against? DFL, that's where. Or, as labeled on their graphs, "Overwhelmed." And, consistent with our intuitions about good d-men, all of the usual suspects for top defenders in the league rank at the top of these categories.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/one-timers/using-advanced-stats-to-classify-nhl-defenseman-types/

Well, I'm no expert on fancystats, but it strikes me that Fenwick, which is based on unblocked shot attempts, might not be a fair metric to evaluate a defenseman who blocks a lot of shots.  And I think Weber's low Corsi/Fenwick scores need to be considered in light of his high D-zone start %.

More importantly, no one is suggesting that Weber is a top defender -- or that the Sabres should keep him in the lineup over someone who fits that description.  I just prefer that he not be the one at the bottom of the rotation given the alternatives.

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhh. You got me. That one stings.

Well, I'm no expert on fancystats, but it strikes me that Fenwick, which is based on unblocked shot attempts, might not be a fair metric to evaluate a defenseman who blocks a lot of shots. And I think Weber's low Corsi/Fenwick scores need to be considered in light of his high D-zone start %.

More importantly, no one is suggesting that Weber is a top defender -- or that the Sabres should keep him in the lineup over someone who fits that description. I just prefer that he not be the one at the bottom of the rotation given the alternatives.

He provides more jam than any other D we have. Until someone proves to me otherwise, physical intimidation is still a part of the game. Pussified players still shy away from contact. Players going into corners or the front of the net with Weber our there know they will be in for a rough ride. Not all players show a willingness to do it. Now can they just avoid him all game and still end up getting scoring chances because of his skatinf, puck handling and decision making? :unsure:

Well, I'm no expert on fancystats, but it strikes me that Fenwick, which is based on unblocked shot attempts, might not be a fair metric to evaluate a defenseman who blocks a lot of shots.  And I think Weber's low Corsi/Fenwick scores need to be considered in light of his high D-zone start %.

More importantly, no one is suggesting that Weber is a top defender -- or that the Sabres should keep him in the lineup over someone who fits that description.  I just prefer that he not be the one at the bottom of the rotation given the alternatives.

It's not as if Weber is consistently putting himself out in shooting lanes to block shots. He stands in front of the net and pucks happen to hit him.

Top defender or no, being one of the worst defenders in the league is not someone I even want on my bottom pair. He can be gritty and physical all he wants, plenty of guys can. But he's slow, he cannot clear the zone, and worse, when he manages to clear the zone, it starts no offense; it's just a random throwing of the puck at the boards.

Edited by WildCard

He provides more jam than any other D we have. Until someone proves to me otherwise, physical intimidation is still a part of the game. Pussified players still shy away from contact. Players going into corners or the front of the net with Weber our there know they will be in for a rough ride. Not all players show a willingness to do it. Now can they just avoid him all game and still end up getting scoring chances because of his skatinf, puck handling and decision making? :unsure:

He's okay. Sticks it out. Willing to work. Gives his all. Not very mobile. Not a great passer. He gets the most out of what talent he has. I respect him. 

I'd love to see someone replace him. But I think you have a point. He's the floor that players need to be above. 

I don't think Weber is one of the worst defenders. 4 coaches and 2 separate GM's have kept him around. Mike is starting to show his age but he is still a solid choice for a 5/6 defender.  Also he is a leader in the room. 

1) Same can be said about Matt Ellis. Want him back on the ice?

2) He's 27. I mean, if the new defense for Mike Weber is he's doing all that can be expected of a 27 year old...

1) Same can be said about Matt Ellis. Want him back on the ice?

2) He's 27. I mean, if the new defense for Mike Weber is he's doing all that can be expected of a 27 year old...

No they didn't, they sent him to Rochester. If Weber was the 7th worse defender we had, then he would be in Rochester.

No they didn't, they sent him to Rochester. If Weber was the 7th worse defender we had, then he would be in Rochester.

He is the 7th best defender we have. The only reason he's not in Rochester is because McCabe and Pysk are unproven yet, and our other 7th man, Col, blows too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.