2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

So the Sabres were the worst scoring team in the league, they have cap space to burn and their biggest roster hole is on right wing.

Their most likely trade partner is a team looking to shed salary and add prospects and picks.

Are we talking to the Leafs about Phil Kessel?

So the Sabres were the worst scoring team in the league, they have cap space to burn and their biggest roster hole is on right wing.

Their most likely trade partner is a team looking to shed salary and add prospects and picks.

I'm sure Murray makes calls, but that's where you get to talking about Risto and I don't go there. Realistically, without including, what deal could get done?

The market for an uncoachable fat guy making $8 million year for the next seven years can't be great, right?  :P

I don't think highly of Kessel, but he fits our needs exactly, is young enough to fit our window and is the type of contract Murray said he was ready to pounce on.

As usual, Reinhart, Eichel, Girgensons, Risto, Kane and Bogo are off the table.

So it depends on how serious the Leafs are about a restart and what Shanahan thinks of the rest of our assets.

It seems like the NYI first is a given and Grigorenko and Zadorov are our most valuable young chips.

Maybe a better way of looking at this is what could we get for cap space, #21 and a top prospect or two.

It'll be really interesting to see what names pop up in trade talks that you never expect. We've talked heavily about O'Reilly, guys like Kessel, Sharp, Hjalmarsson, Thornton and Marleau have been mentioned...

Another right wing that might come loose that I just love watching (but am not really sure he fits the plan or is much different than Ennis): TJ Oshie. He's been mentioned around here before, but he's hard not to like.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729387

That list shows how few good right wingers there are in the league.

Of the names in that link I could see Kessel, Oshie, Williams, Toffoli and Silfverberg being potential worthwhile targets.

The Blues are a definite trade target and Oshie would be nice pickup. I could also see Berglund being a target.

Unrelated to the salary dump situation, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jarret Stoll in a Sabre uniform next year, assuming his arrest is indicative of an indiscretion, as opposed to a problem. Cheap vet with a ring to take defensive zone face-offs.

You're right, but with all the kids we have, I can see him being a solid fourth-line centre.

Would you also want to grab his teammate Justin Williams? Or is that too many old slow guys for us?

And is there any argument to be made against going after Joel Ward? Love that guy and I think he's a right winger.

I think Williams is of interest, but only if we can't get a younger winger through trade.

As bad as he was last year, I also wonder how much consideration Hodgson is getting as a top-six RW.

I could see him bouncing back with Kane and Jack

Would you also want to grab his teammate Justin Williams? Or is that too many old slow guys for us?

And is there any argument to be made against going after Joel Ward? Love that guy and I think he's a right winger.

I've been mentioning Ward for a while. Would like adding him. 2nd/3rd liner.

Same for Williams.

I think Williams is of interest, but only if we can't get a younger winger through trade.

As bad as he was last year, I also wonder how much consideration Hodgson is getting as a top-six RW.

I could see him bouncing back with Kane and Jack

Yeah buddy :thumbsup:

No thanks.  The highest-paid guys on the team have to buy in and play hard.  Otherwise a bad tone is set that is hard to overcome -- especially on a young team that needs to learn how to play the game.

As for Justin Williams -- no thanks there too.  He is out of gas.

I've been harping on it for awhile, but  I'm genuinely interested in the guy, and I want to hear what everyone thinks his value is and what it would take to get him.

So, is Wayne Simmonds a possibility? 

I wish!

I've been harping on it for awhile, but I'm genuinely interested in the guy, and I want to hear what everyone thinks his value is and what it would take to get him.

That'd be nice but unfortunately I think the only more untradeable players on that team are Giroux and Voracek.

I've been harping on it for awhile, but  I'm genuinely interested in the guy, and I want to hear what everyone thinks his value is and what it would take to get him.

He's the type of guy that you have to trade Risto for. If he's a possibility and we can get him without giving up Eichel, Reinhart and Risto then I would be ecstatic.

Ennis, Zadorov, Gorges and 21?

I wish!

That'd be nice but unfortunately I think the only more untradeable players on that team are Giroux and Voracek.

He's the type of guy that you have to trade Risto for. If he's a possibility and we can get him without giving up Eichel, Reinhart and Risto then I would be ecstatic.

Ennis, Zadorov, Gorges and 21?

The only way I think Simmonds is available is if a franchise defence man is coming back.

We don't have any we're willing to give up.

They seem in rebuild mode, so can we perhaps do

Zadorov, Pysk, 21, and Bailey/Baptiste?

I honestly wouldn't mind parting with Ennis for the aforementioned trade. Wayne Simmonds is an incredible player, he does everything you could possibly want him to do. Scores, is young, fights, hits, has an edge...he's everything this board has been clamoring for for years. No doubt Ennis is good/great, and only getting better. But to me, if we make that trade, we still come out on top.

Zadorov, Pysyk, and Ennis would be a really hard offer for Philly to turn down, methinks.

Philly is a really good team to target if we're dangling Zadorov.  I was very excited when he got past pick 12 in that draft (retroactively, of course, I wanted Wennberg hard at the time).  The Flyers selected Morin instead of Zadorov and we got him at 16.  

Everything about Zadorov says Philly Dman.  I'd prefer he be the top pairing demolisher in blue and gold of our dreams, but If Babdick doesn't like him he could be tradebait.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.