The next 8 days are the most important 8 days of the year for this team...

matter2003

Money, situation, roster spot, and a mass amount of other factors measure into rather or not they want to sign here or anywhere

True, but players have shown they will forgoe those in order to go to a place where they can win, and having the best player in the league makes you likely to win

Not for nothing, but lately with the addition of stable ownership, quite a few free agents have been interested in Buffalo because of the close proximity to Ontario, where many players grew up and have family.

It isn't always about the money.

Money, situation, roster spot, and a mass amount of other factors measure into rather or not they want to sign here or anywhere

True, but players have shown they will forgoe those in order to go to a place where they can win, and having the best player in the league makes you likely to win

Every player will have their own conscious or unconscious calculation of those factors, so you can't really group "players" together. Josh Gorges didn't want to play in Toronto because he didn't like the team, I can't see Kaleta playing for Chicago if there's a reasonable offer from Buffalo, etc. I'm sure many players pick whomever pays the most.

Not for nothing, but lately with the addition of stable ownership, quite a few free agents have been interested in Buffalo because of the close proximity to Ontario, where many players grew up and have family.

It isn't always about the money.

Well I'll hand you that, if we had stable ownership we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in. Having said that, except for the older crowd looking for a last run at a cup or wanting to be close to the family, you won't get the younger player without being right with the Money. Free agency changed everything about sports. And with the present Sabres, you want the younger guy coming in. You're not going to win anything next year. The Gionta's won't be here when the rebuilding is over.

Well I'll hand you that, if we had stable ownership we wouldn't be in the predicament we're in. Having said that, except for the older crowd looking for a last run at a cup or wanting to be close to the family, you won't get the younger player without being right with the Money. Free agency changed everything about sports. And with the present Sabres, you want the younger guy coming in. You're not going to win anything next year. The Gionta's won't be here when the rebuilding is over.

My example in this case is Matt Moulson. He liked being near Ontario where his family is, and our offer was reasonable in terms of money. I'm sure he could have gotten more on the open market, but every player isn't always just about the money.

My example in this case is Matt Moulson. He liked being near Ontario where his family is, and our offer was reasonable in terms of money. I'm sure he could have gotten more on the open market, but every player isn't always just about the money.

Well Moulson is 31, I think you made my point for me. Pegula seems willing to spend, they have cap reserve, their best players are on their first contract or about to be, They have the money to burn.

Well Moulson is 31, I think you made my point for me. Pegula seems willing to spend, they have cap reserve, their best players are on their first contract or about to be, They have the money to burn.

Is 31 old? I thought Moulson was going to be a hot commodity in the FA market last year. Shocked he came back.

It is up for debate, because they are just theoretical right now.

These clowns around here do not understand you, but I am older.  

I understand and appreciate you and your thoughts Anna.

No one has ever been a generational talent, or a good player, or a bum ... until they have played at least one game (and probably a lot more) in the NHL.

Of course, I mean clowns in the nicest sense of the word and no disrespect.

These clowns around here do not understand you, but I am older.  

I understand and appreciate you and your thoughts Anna.

No one has ever been a generational talent, or a good player, or a bum ... until they have played at least one game (and probably a lot more) in the NHL.

Of course, I mean clowns in the nicest sense of the word and no disrespect.

Being old doesn't forgive you for being crotchety. As for the generational talent...

Would you rather be the #1 pick in the Walt Patulski draft or John Elway draft

Would you rather have the #1 pick in the Patrik Stefan draft or Crosby draft

Sometimes a guy just sticks out that you know is going to be good, this is a good year to get the #1 or #2 pick, a no brainer even for clowns

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.