Grigorenko

DirtDart

I dunno... I watch Grigorenko play (like against Ottawa) and I see a competitive, hustling player. Previously it seemed like he was in over his head, but he looks okay out there now. I had the same impression about Larsson, and he seems to be breaking out. I think Grigo is on the same cusp. I'd sign him and keep him; I think he will be a contributor.

To me it seems that the problem is with the kids are handled. Pysyk looks great. Larsson is hitting his stride. Grigorenko is starting to use his size in good ways. But they keep going up and down between Rochester and Buffalo, and when they do, there are stinging criticisms - "We expect more." Why? WHY? They're just learning the NHL game, you're not going to get Gretzky, folks. The GM/coach questions them, they question themselves, they start to hold their sticks too tight. Then you wonder why they don't achieve.

This team sucks. It should get better soon. My one big disappointment is that considering expectations are so low (and the team is actually expected to suck), why not give these guys a solid chance, a shot of confidence, and an opportunity to get out there, make mistakes and learn from them?

If Grigorenko is a bust at this point, a major contributor is the way he was handled by the organization.

I agree 100%. I am not willy to write off any 20 year old especially a first round pick. It's no secret that I support the kid. Lots of folks wrote me off when I was 20.They look a bit foolish now.

We still have his rights, but because he's already played in 80 pro games, he can't be sent between the NHL and Roch next season without going through waivers.

Thank

you.

You talked your self right out of that conspiracy theory. I did like the premise of the Theory then you let logic over ride it all. You're no fun....

Well I started out saying I tend to not be a conspiracy theorist so you shouldn't have gotten your hopes up.

Yea and he will not clear waivers.  

Depends how much he's getting paid I suppose... Maybe we overpay him for the first year so that other teams don't want to pay the cap hit on an unknown quantity.  We should have room next year, no?  Might not be the best use of resources but neither were Benny and the Mez.

Well I started out saying I tend to not be a conspiracy theorist so you shouldn't have gotten your hopes up.

Depends how much he's getting paid I suppose... Maybe we overpay him for the first year so that other teams don't want to pay the cap hit on an unknown quantity.  We should have room next year, no?  Might not be the best use of resources but neither were Benny and the Mez.

Well yea we could overpay him but that would reek?  is that the right word?  havoc on the locker room.

Well yea we could overpay him but that would reek?  is that the right word?  havoc on the locker room.

Or we could give him a fair contract and a steady spot with two talented line mates and give him next year to prove his stuff.  That's a tough spot for TM to be in when our roster is already looking to be quite inexperienced, so a Grigs trade seems quite likely, as you've said in the past. 

Oh, and "wreak" is the word you're looking for.  Reek pertains to smell.

Or we could give him a fair contract and a steady spot with two talented line mates and give him next year to prove his stuff.  That's a tough spot for TM to be in when our roster is already looking to be quite inexperienced, so a Grigs trade seems quite likely, as you've said in the past. 

Oh, and "wreak" is the word you're looking for.  Reek pertains to smell.

dammit I knew I was using the wrong one.  

But yea, we could do that. 

The idea that Grigorenko could be part of a trade seems pretty solid to me.  He was very good in camp, but that and a dollar would net you two Little Debbie Honey Buns and that's about it.

I guess the question is: what is his value?  Would he, plus the second first, land the Sabres ROR? GMTM can't be the only GM who gets all whacky over prospects.

The idea that Grigorenko could be part of a trade seems pretty solid to me.  He was very good in camp, but that and a dollar would net you two Little Debbie Honey Buns and that's about it.

I guess the question is: what is his value?  Would he, plus the second first, land the Sabres ROR? GMTM can't be the only GM who gets all whacky over prospects.

I think if Larsson played well the rest of the way you could say Larsson, Grigorenko, the late 2015 1st for ROR as a good starting point. 

I think if Larsson played well the rest of the way you could say Larsson, Grigorenko, the late 2015 1st for ROR as a good starting point. 

That's not a bad point, but it made me think - does the development of Larsson negate the need for ROR? I'm not saying Larsson is AS good, but he looks like he can bring a lot of what ROR brings to the table, and without the cost - and we wouldn't have to worry about resigning Larsson for a while like ROR either.

That could free up either keeping Grigs and that first rounder, or using them to go after someone else - a scoring veteran winger, a backup goalie who could be a # 1 but is stuck behind someone else, another #1 next season, etc. I'd be happy to get ROR but I'm not sure we need him.

^--- I wonder how many people will agree with the above.  I honestly don't know what kind of game ROR would bring to the Sabres.  The more cap space, the better, if they have a ROR-type player already.

I think they keep Grigorenko as depth.  If Samson and McEichel are ready for the big show then he stews on the fourth line.  But if he can play 2nd/3rd line it gives the Sabres the luxury of giving Reinhart and/or McEichel another year to develop... if needed.

I think they keep Grigorenko as depth.  If Samson and McEichel are ready for the big show then he stews on the fourth line.  But if he can play 2nd/3rd line it gives the Sabres the luxury of giving Reinhart and/or McEichel another year to develop... if needed.

I wouldn't consider Grigorenko "depth." Tim Murray has to take a hard look at the kid and decide if they want to invest any more time. If he were a Tim Murray pick I would say it is likely. Being a Regier pick, Murray can a bit less patient.

Why not give him another year?  Yeah I know he can't be sent back to the AHL without clearing waivers, but are we really going to be that flush with forwards in the fall?  I'd rather keep him on the squad than, say, a Matt Ellis.  He's at least that good, and still has upside potential.  I wouldn't be in a hurry to move him.  If GMTM can pack him up as part of a trade to get a big upgrade, well yeah, do it, but I bet the Sabres hang onto him a bit longer.

Grigo and Nikita for O'Reilly. Book it.

I would hate to lose Nikita in a trade this early in his development. In a scenario where we get one of McEichel in the draft, I would hope GMTM doesn't make this deal. If we end up in a situation where we are drafting Hanifin at 3, I would be a lot more open to a Grigorenko and Zadorov for O'Reilly deal. That is if the trade is even to the Avs liking. 

Edited by Thorny

I'm hoping they keep Grigs for another year.  I'm not sure how you give up on a player that is highly skilled, even if he has some compete issues at 20, when the team can't score and that has so few top line scoring players.  I just think they need to give him every chance to "get it" before trading or giving up on him.

I expect whether they keep Grigo or trade him will be highly dependent on where they draft.  If they get the #1 or #2 pick then Grigo becomes an asset to move for a more developed player, but if they slide to #3 or 4 they will still need another center.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.