Trade Deadline 2015 (March 2nd, 3 p.m.)

Hoss

Exactly my point, he's not worth much. We needed to get rid of him. A 2nd is a win. I wouldn't have cared if we gave him for future considerations. It could have been a 2030 2nd for all I care.

Sorry, I should have made my self more clear. I completely agree with you. He wasn't exactly a stellar stand out on the worst team to lace up skates in the NHL for a decade.

Sorry, I should have made my self more clear. I completely agree with you. He wasn't exactly a stellar stand out on the worst team to lace up skates in the NHL for a decade.

I Was aware you were agreeing, I was just expanding on the point we were making haha.

I'm complaining Murray held out too long while other potential landing spots for Stewart made other deals. At deadline he had to settle for a pick three drafts from now. You are obviously satisfied with this mediocrity.

I never post, only read, but THIS is some funny stuff.Ā  Mediocrity?Ā Ā LOL.Ā  Personally, I'm not too concerned about losing any UFAsĀ on a team that is DFL in exchange for a 2nd three drafts from now.Ā  I am not a TM apologist, butĀ I guess I have a different perspective of Stewart's worth onĀ the worst team in Sabres franchiseĀ history.Ā  Other GMs apparently agree.Ā  And BTW, I don't thinkĀ Darcy would have traded Stewart at allĀ if he was still here. Ā 

Yes Murray didn't get great return on these players he moved today but what did you possibly think he was gonna get? These players are garbage. Stewart had one great year, we know he has size but doesn't use it to his full advantage, plus he was in the coaches doghouse on a last place team. Mitchell and Flynn who cares. Nievirth got a decent return but not to thrilled about him anyways. This team always tends to find goaltenders. The question I have about Murray is overpaying or not getting enough during trades. Yes Darcy was good at getting max value but was too afraid to make a bold move. I'm okay with giving him MurrayĀ time and see what kind of players he wants to bring in.

Not going to suggest Murray got a good return.

I will suggest he sold off what he could for what he could get and he didn't have much to offer.

To say he had a bad day is to imply the players traded away had a lot of value.

Ā 

This right here, this is the winner. If anyone is mad that Vermette fetched a 1st and a prospect while Stewart only got a 2nd in the future, then that individual needs to re-evaluate how they evaluate player value.

At this point, with the deadline over, why would we not just waive Benoit, Meszaros, Hodgson, Johnson and Lindback to the AHL? If someone claims them so be it.Ā  Bring up Hackett, Makarov, McCabe, Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Schaller, and Grigorenko and ride this thing all the way to the ground.

Ā 

Probably because doing so might make the team better.

At this point, with the deadline over, why would we not just waive Benoit, Meszaros, Hodgson, Johnson and Lindback to the AHL? If someone claims them so be it.Ā  Bring up Hackett, Makarov, McCabe, Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Schaller, and Grigorenko and ride this thing all the way to the ground.

Really Hodgson! I don't know if I give up on him just yet. Wait till he has some talent around him before you come up with that conclusion. Yes he's not great defensively and isn't physical but you don't get rid of him now when he has no value.

This Trade Deadline sucked, we got mincemeat and I was at least hoping for Stewart to fetch something since so many others got over payed for. However Murray did accomplish what he had set out to do, help the team get to the bottom and stay there hopefully. Unlike some of you, I think Regier would have made a trade today, and he'd have likely gotten a 2nd & 3rd for Stewart but Regier wouldn't of traded anyone else due to the price being to low. GMTM doesn't seem to care about what it looks like on paper as long as he gets what he set out to gain, take it or leave it.

You guys think Murray should have got a bigger haul given the crap he was auctioning off?

Do you think other GMs haven't watched our team?

Ā 

Ā 

This.Ā  I find it astonishing that anyone would seriously argue that TM should've gotten more for anyone he sold off today.Ā 

Ā 

Repeat the mantra:Ā  Darcy wins trades, Murray builds teams.

Ā 

Well, I agree with you on Darcy, but it's way too early to come to any conclusions on GMTM.Ā 

Ā 

On Stewart, I don't know, a second is a second.

Ā 

I don't agree -- a 2nd this year is materially more valuable than a 2nd in 2017.

I'm complaining Murray held out too long while other potential landing spots for Stewart made other deals. At deadline he had to settle for a pick three drafts from now. You are obviously satisfied with this mediocrity.

I think he did fine with Flynn, Mitchell and Neuvirth. If your argument is he held onto Stewart then a case can be made but once he did that he had to recover. Getting a second three years out is a good recovery. Just going off rumor reports they could have had a second or spooner from the Bruins. I know nothing of spooner but many on this board didn't speak very highly of him. Do you think he would have won that trade, Spooner for Stewart?

It seems perverse that even though we received almost no value for the players traded today, the team may have a brighter future because they may be more likely to finish with the worst record in the NHL.Ā  This really needs to be more than a race for last place, particularly since there is no guarantee that the team will finish last even with the trades made today.Ā  We still need to get as much value as possible for our players, and today was not a good day.Ā  This team was really bad and now it is worse.Ā  How long before there is any real hope for improvement?Ā  It is not as if the Amerks are a powerhouseĀ or filled with strong talent.Ā  Does not seem like next year will be much better than this year, and a playing for the playoffs may be years away.

GMTM achieved his number # 1 goal today which was making our odds even better to get McEichel.

Ā 

It's easy to say Darcy would have received more based on his past history because he had a tendency to wait until he could make the "perfect" trade. This tendency is why we're in the mess we're in now. Plus, you can only get so much for garbage. And we can re-signĀ Neuvirth and Stewart if we want for nothing.

Revisiting the Miller/Ott trade to St. Louis, I guess the overall return of that tradeĀ is:

Ā 

Miller and Ott for:

Ā 

2015 1st Round from St. Louis (could be owned by Winnipeg ifĀ higher than Islander's 2015Ā 1st Round that Sabres also own)

2016 3rd Round from Islanders (via Halak trade to Caps for Neuvirth via Neuvirth trade to Islanders)

2016 3rd Round from St. Louis (I think this is still owned by the Sabres)

2017 2nd Round from Wild (via Stewart trade to Wild)Ā 

William Carrier (2nd Round prospect)

Chad Johnson (meh-- via Halak trade to Caps for Neuvirth via Neuvirth trade to Islanders)

Jack Nevins (meh-- via Stewart trade to Wild)

[plus giving up Stewart, who is a UFA,Ā helps the race to the bottom for the Shart]

I'll give the Sabres a B+ on the trade deadline. Sure, it would have been great to get a first round pick or two..or an NHL ready prospect, but i think that would be asking for too much.

Ā 

What we hear of Stewart (how good he is) is all over the map...but most of what I hear is he seems 'overated' when you take into consideration his defensive play.

Ā 

All I want out of this team for the next 20 games is to finish in 30th, and no major, long term injuries to the young guys. Ā I do not think they guaranteed themselves 30th, but I think they solidified their chances for it and also almost assured themself of not falling past the Noah Hanifan position in the draft. Ā Good enough for today. Now lets see them not pull any 'positive' surprises on the ice, and HOPE for some Arizona and Edmonton wins.

GMTM achieved his number # 1 goal today which was making our odds even better to get McEichel.

Ā 

It's easy to say Darcy would have received more based on his past history because he had a tendency to wait until he could make the "perfect" trade. This tendency is why we're in the mess we're in now. Plus, you can only get so much for garbage. And we can re-signĀ Neuvirth and Stewart if we want for nothing.

Ā 

This is spot on. People that are wondering about Stewart's game. This is just my opinion. You are in a great position to get paid if you perform at your highest level as an UFA. He didn't. $hit he was benched on the worst team for not playing hard. The guy is 6'3" 230. He should be using his size and strength to the fullest advantage and he doesn't. He had one good year and he's been on the down swing since. You think St. Louis would have unloaded him if he was still a consistent 20 goal scorer. Highly Unlikely. Do I think GM Murray could have gotten more for him tough to say. I still think when you go out and say that the UFA's will be moved for whatever sends a message to other GM's that we shouldn't overpay because he wants to unload them anyways.

Ā 

I just hope nothing comes out saying Tanking between Us and the Coyotes. Just sayin it could happen and the league could crack down on it.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Ā 

Moving goalposts, opinions based on how we feel at the moment. Did we get worse? Sure. But anyone could do that. Did we get anything close to reasonable value for what we gave up. No. But I guess that's okay with everyone.

Moving goalposts, opinions based on how we feel at the moment. Did we get worse? Sure. But anyone could do that. Did we get anything close to reasonable value for what we gave up. No. But I guess that's okay with everyone.

Ā 

I'd love to know what you thought he should have received for what he had available on a historically poor team.

Ā 

GO!

Ā 

Stewart->

Mitchell->

Flynn->

Neuvirth->

Meszaros->

Benoit->

Weber->

Ā 

Remember, you have to have another team willing to even want someone from this list.

quit shitting all over every thread and tell us what reasonable value is for each of the UFA's and the one RFA unloadedĀ 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.