All Hasek's Eve, your memories, rants and raves

PASabreFan

If we're bringing in secondary Buffalo sports, you have to include John Tavares.

Buffalo is one of the few places in the US which considers the NBA a secondary sport.

Relative to the historical talent in NLL, Tavares is the best NLL player ever. He's their Wayne Gretzky.

In terms of big 4 and talent level, it's Dom, Bruce and OJ.

McAdoo was the league's best player in the early '70's. He doesn't end up best player ever, but does warrant inclusion in the discussion. Especially when it's what Buffalo sports player would you want on your team. He's there every single time.

McAdoo was the league's best player in the early '70's. He doesn't end up best player ever, but does warrant inclusion in the discussion. Especially when it's what Buffalo sports player would you want on your team. He's there every single time.

No argument here with regards to McAdoo's talent. I just don't think he's in the discussion since the Braves were only here for such a short time.

Maybe Judge Smell, after he's pounded back his third nightcap, will regale us in the tale of seeing Dom up close and personal, almost a bit too personal.

I am only too happy to oblige.

"When I was in my early 20s, I lived with a fairly random collection of Buffalo-born guys (one gal was in there as well, actually) in the Elmwood Village (before its rents were too danm high). Anyhoo, I was in the midst of working a couple of jobs and taking some classes, and was home one sunny afternoon when one of my roommates stopped home, clearly in a huge rush, saw me sitting there, and said "Hey, you wanna go serve process on Hasek?!"

The who now?

Anyway. It still escapes me exactly what we were serving on Dom, but it did occasion a trip to his East Amherst home, complete with its woefully neglected landscaping. Every house on the block was pristine, and his place looked like a wreck. He answered the door wearing some of those over-sized athletic/basketball shorts, a silky bathrobe (untied), and flip flops. He was on the phone when he answered the door, and he just kept talking all the while. My roommate said something--"these are for you" maybe?--handed him the papers. There followed this awkward silence and an exchange of perplexed stares. My roommate wasn't much schooled in the formalities of what he needed to do, so I think there was some uncertainty on his part ("did we do it right?"). We then literally backed away from the door (we didn't turn around and leave), and the whole time he's watching us with that soul-penetrating stare and jabbering away on the phone.

It was all so deliciously weird."

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22384-encounters-with-sabres/page__st__80#entry555929

ONE UPDATE: I asked my former roommate what we were doing that day. It was some notification from the team -- the exercise of an option maybe -- pursuant to the terms of his contract.

We had the pleasure of watching the Bobby Orr of the Goal Crease. Once in a lifetime great.

Truth.

He was definitely a different breed of cat.

You said it.

Dom as starting goalie for Buffalo tonight.

Hell yeah.

I'm positive he's not human.

A complete athletic freak, for sure.

Greatest professional athlete to ever wear a Buffalo uniform

Agreed.

Bob McAdoo might like to have a word.

Uh-huh. (But, yeah: It goes Dom, Bruce, OJ.)

Relative to the historical talent in NLL, Tavares is the best NLL player ever. He's their Wayne Gretzky.

In terms of big 4 and talent level, it's Dom, Bruce and OJ.

You obviously never saw McAdoo play. On some bad teams he led the NBA in scoring for 3 years. He won rookie of the year and was sixth man on two LA Laker championship teams. Gotta include him in there with Gil. You younguns need to research your Buffalo sports history. When I was young all the talk was about Cookie Gilchrist. Didn't see him play so I am not sure.

But what a time in Buffalo sports history.

Gil

OJ and

McAdoo

Agreed! Why I fell in luv with Buffalo sports in grammar, middle school.

Edited by Icehole

Hasek looked uncomfortable talking about "great things" that didn't involve winning a Cup.

Hey...he got out and did what he figured he could do with a team all-in.

I thought he did a nice job. He thanked the Knox Family....enough said.

If anyone saw the intermission, he was really touched by Buffalo cheering for him and Schmelik and welcoming them back from the olympics. He actually had an emotional flux in voice, "I mean, we played for a different country!" It was nice to see his genuine gratitude.

Hey...he got out and did what he figured he could do with a team all-in.

I thought he did a nice job. He thanked the Knox Family....enough said.

If anyone saw the intermission, he was really touched by Buffalo cheering for him and Schmelik and welcoming them back from the olympics. He actually had an emotional flux in voice, "I mean, we played for a different country!" It was nice to see his genuine gratitude.

Thanks for relating that (I did not see it). For a guy from a country where foreign tanks rolled through the capital in his lifetime, that distinction must be meaningful.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.