Tyler Myers

papazoid

Maybe his Marfans will flare back up long enough to ensure that we finish at the bottom because I don't want to trade him. We have enough scientific lab geek types that work here that they should be able to find a cure. Chop chop, people, just don't announce you've found the cure until after the season is over.

We really do need Myers, big contract or not. This has become more evident while we attempted to find other pairings during his injury. He makes a great pair with Gorges AND allows Ristolainen-Zadorov to stay a D-pair. Those two need more time developing before they are booming D-men. Myers as the top pair allow them the time. We shouldn't trade Myers. Nothing we can get for him will help. Our D needs to remain intact.

The argument that we can't trade Myers because the team sucks when he is hurt is mind numbing. First of all, the team still sucks when he's playing... And second, that's the point. He's hurt too often to be relied on.

Edited by Tank

The argument that we can't trade Myers because the team sucks when he is hurt is mind numbing. First of all, the team still sucks when he's playing... And second, that's the point. He's hurt too often to be relied on.

Keeping Myers gives us a decent top pairing of Gorges/Myers and allows Zadarov/Ristolainen to grow together without being heavily relied upon before they are ready. Injuries happen from time to time, especially in an 82 game season, but I wouldn't call him injury prone at this point.

Keeping Myers gives us a decent top pairing of Gorges/Myers and allows Zadarov/Ristolainen to grow together without being heavily relied upon before they are ready. Injuries happen from time to time, especially in an 82 game season, but I wouldn't call him injury prone at this point.

8/40 games missed so far this year.

20/82 missed last year.

9/48 missed two years ago.

27/82 games missed three years ago.

64 of his last 244 games missed. That's 26% or just above one out of every four games.

Tyler Myers expects to return to action for the Buffalo Sabres against the New Jersey Devils.

Buffalo won 10 of 13 games before he got hurt and then went 1-7-1 when he was sidelined.

http://prohockeytalk...turns-with-him/

coincedence ? i think not.

He was playing well, but the reason they've been losing is the goaltending has cooled off. During their winning streak, they we're still getting badly outshot, however Enroth was playing like a generational talent. So unless Myers is Enroths gateway to Dominik Haseks soul, then I expect their losing ways to continue.

20/82 missed last year.

64 of his last 244 games missed. That's 26% or just above one out of every four games.

That is injury prone in my book.

So if he misses 26% due to injury and he plays like "Calder " Myers in 2/3rds of the remaining 74% we get a player who can be counted on 50% of the time. THIS is why every year since his rookie year we continue to say "Myers showed glimpses of his potential" blah blah blah.

If he is our top pairing dman for the future we are in trouble. Actually, a better way to put it is we will continue to be what we are. Terrible!!

Edited by sicknfla

That is injury prone in my book.

So if he misses 26% due to injury and he plays like "Calder " Myers in 2/3rds of the remaining 74% we get a player who can be counted on 50% of the time. THIS is why every year since his rookie year we continue to say "Myers showed glimpses of his potential" blah blah blah.

If he is our top pairing dman for the future we are in trouble. Actually, a better way to put it is we will continue to be what we are. Terrible!!

Give me the time missed for an average NHL d-man and average forward, and if it falls way above that, then I would agree with you guys that he is injury prone. There's no reference point!

Give me the time missed for an average NHL d-man and average forward, and if it falls way above that, then I would agree with you guys that he is injury prone. There's no reference point!

He broke his wrist and ended the season on IR. Broke his leg and ended the season on IR. Blew his ankle and ended the season on IR. Blew his ankle during the offseason. Now he has a "lower body injury".

Not to mention "unexplained fatigue", and "coming into camp out of shape".

Some people see smoke and look for fire. Some people see smoke and try to inhale it to avoid reality.

He broke his wrist and ended the season on IR. Broke his leg and ended the season on IR. Blew his ankle and ended the season on IR. Blew his ankle during the offseason. Now he has a "lower body injury".

Not to mention "unexplained fatigue", and "coming into camp out of shape".

Some people see smoke and look for fire. Some people see smoke and try to inhale it to avoid reality.

It's not that I'm trying to avoid reality, it's just that I have so much going on professionally and personally I just haven't been as immersed as I used to be, and I have no recollection for what ailments have caused him missed time or if they were on par for an NHL player...

It's not that I'm trying to avoid reality, it's just that I have so much going on professionally and personally I just haven't been as immersed as I used to be, and I have no recollection for what ailments have caused him missed time or if they were on par for an NHL player...

I'm not trying to dk you.....I'm in the same boat. I think LGR not having any FSU action for a few months and taking it out on the board got me on guard. (LGR...Sundowner....you'll be healed for $100).

Well.. We're not talking about average in the first place. We're talking about a guy that should be a difference maker. You can't be a difference maker in the press box as a player.

But I'm sure the average player doesn't miss one fourth of his games.

I'm not trying to dk you.....I'm in the same boat. I think LGR not having any FSU action for a few months and taking it out on the board got me on guard. (LGR...Sundowner....you'll be healed for $100).

I have been pretty relaxed on here for months and months. Also I don't disagree with your concerns over Myers injury history.

Well.. We're not talking about average in the first place. We're talking about a guy that should be a difference maker. You can't be a difference maker in the press box as a player.

But I'm sure the average player doesn't miss one fourth of his games.

I understand that, maybe I didn't make my point clear enough: as a difference maker or a solid 1 - 3 -man, how much more time than the average dman is he missing? is it only 2 - 4 games more per season than the average d-man misses, or is it on par with an average d-man, and maybe that's all he'll become or should be expected at this point then? Then if that's the case maybe he should be traded?

20/82 missed last year.

Yes, he's missed some serious time with injuries over the years but not every one of those missed games was an injury though. If my memory serves me he's been healthy scratched a handful of times and suspended at least once or twice over the years. Plus the 2 years you failed to list he played 80 and 82 games.

Yes, he's missed some serious time with injuries over the years but not every one of those missed games was an injury though. If my memory serves me he's been healthy scratched a handful of times and suspended at least once or twice over the years. Plus the 2 years you failed to list he played 80 and 82 games.

I didn't "fail" to list them. Things change. Bodies change. It's suspicious and relevant that once he had his first year that he had injuries that caused him to miss 27 games he suddenly has been sitting out games due to injury at a much higher rate. That's why the last four years are relevant. If it were two years? That's different.

I understand that, maybe I didn't make my point clear enough: as a difference maker or a solid 1 - 3 -man, how much more time than the average dman is he missing? is it only 2 - 4 games more per season than the average d-man misses, or is it on par with an average d-man, and maybe that's all he'll become or should be expected at this point then? Then if that's the case maybe he should be traded?

Good point on suspension/scratches. As far as I can tell he was a healthy scratch twice last season and suspended three games. So 15/82 games still isn't good.

I didn't "fail" to list them. Things change. Bodies change. It's suspicious and relevant that once he had his first year that he had injuries that caused him to miss 27 games he suddenly has been sitting out games due to injury at a much higher rate. That's why the last four years are relevant. If it were two years? That's different.

Good point on suspension/scratches. As far as I can tell he was a healthy scratch twice last season and suspended three games. So 15/82 games still isn't good.

He got suspended for 3 games in 2012 as well for a hit on Gomez. He definitely has had his share of injuries but he hasn't exactly been Tim Connolly either.

Tyler Myers expects to return to action for the Buffalo Sabres against the New Jersey Devils.

Buffalo won 10 of 13 games before he got hurt and then went 1-7-1 when he was sidelined.

http://prohockeytalk...turns-with-him/

coincedence ? i think not.

Nothing like ignoring the fact that half of the rest of the team went down with injuries or illness right around the same time. Myers, Gorges, Risto, Gionta, Mitchell, CodyMac, Foligno, Moulson, etc. have all missed time over the past month or so. It wasn't just one guy (Myers) missing from the lineup.

I have said it before and I will say it again, even with the injuries, Myers is an excellent 2nd pairing defenseman and his contract will slit him there in years to come.

So, if you get offered top line talent, you move him. If you get offered borderline top 6 forward top 4 dman, you pass.

There is no urgency. No cap concerns. No reason to take anything less at this time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.