Sabres should play in Rochester

FLYNNSanity

The Sabres should play a game in rochester, or atleast a pre-season game. They already take up to 4 Amerks games to the big barn.

Especially due to how much of a pain in the *** it is to drive in a Buffalo snow storm. They have only played two regular season games in rochester (2003,2005).

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=231112002

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=436874

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=436911

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=251026002

http://sabres.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2005020138

I love the idea...We already have a great relationship with Bills preseason football in Rochester. Sabres preseason is a great idea as well to show that "Sabres University" has a real campus in the Roc.

Or maybe I should say it was a great idea until Harborcenter was built. Too much money poured into that to not use the whole First Niagara Center now for training and development.

In fact, I have a feeling it could even turn worse now that HC is built. Amerks attendance is low. The Sabres could probably get more attendance for their AHL club if they moved it to Buffalo (like Toronto has).

Not sure why I'm feeling so pessimistic today. I love the Amerks here in Rochester! I just wish there were more opportunities for Sabre action in my town besides people getting sent down against their will or Rob Ray throwing out a first pitch at a Red Wings game!

This was brought up in a conversation with Ted Black on Hockey Hotline a few weeks back. Basically, he said it really wouldn't/couldn't happen going forward. One issue is Season ticket holders and the seats they are guaranteed. Another is the revenue it would generate (not just for Pegula, but for the league). I THINK he also mentioned about the HDTV and broadcast capabilities, not just for the Sabres but for the other team involved.

I think it would be great if they could have one game a year in Rochester (regular season.) Seeing how that really won't happen though, I think it should be automatic to have one preaseason game there a year at least.

Also, maybe, MAYBE if the Sabres have their own network in the works in a couple of years, but I'd love to have all Sabres and all Amerks games available on TV for both audiences.

When Golisano did this, it made me crazy.

For the record, I think that the Amerks belong to Rochester, and shouldn't play regular season games here, either. (Except for this year, when they're all wearing Sabres uniforms.)

Yeah we have the Amerks, anytime I want to watch the Sabres they are on msg. I can always make the hour trek down the thru way to see them. I have no desire to see the Sabres here.

I dont see why the money part maters, when you have an owner with a net worth of 4.1 Billion,

what could there be to lose?

Because Terry Pegula doesn't own the entire NHL. He owns 1 team. The NHL would lose money on the game. Not to mention I bet the facilities aren't even close to NHL standards.

Definitely no. Sabres currently have over 14k season tix holders and BCA could only fit like 12.8 or something. I'm in Rochester and don't believe they should ever play here again unless it's pre-season.

On a side-note, I remember they used to hold camp here for some time. At MCC and Thomas Creek. That was cool but with Harbor Center, we can forget bout that too.

Ps. Welcome to the board!

Ps. Welcome to the board!

I guess I'm repeating myself here, but I think it comes down to the Sabres SHOULD play a preseason game in Rochester every year.

As far as regular season games, as others have mentioned, most people in Rochester can hop on the Thruway and be in Buffalo in about an hour for a Sabres game. I have lived in/near other Cities where it can take almost that long to get from one part of their actual city to the other, and people in the suburbs of the city can take that long just to get downtown to the arena.

Plus, in my opinion, the NHL preseason games are the best of any of the major sports. You can go to a preseason game and pretty much be almost as entertained as you would at a regular season game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.