Favourite all-time Sabre: playoffs

dudacek

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your least favourite Sabre?

I think Barnaby has alluded to it...but is a jilted player (who also happens to be crazy) any better than a jilted journalist?

So has Rob Ray.

I'm comfortable calling fire with all the smoke. He quit on the team. More than once.

OUT!

Edited by weave

Yup. I don't think any of the players or staff who knew the situation have ever spoken out about the groin injuries, so all we have is speculation. As far as I'm concerned he was hurt. If the team had thought he was taking a fall then I don't think he stays a Sabre long after. You have to trade him in the 97 offseason, right?

The playoff controversy involved his knee.

This is the way I will always look at it. The Rigases gave Dom no choice but to leave.

Probably. But they also gave him 9-10 million dollars a year. Small market, budget-conscious team, he was thus going to be the only superstar. Did Dom offer a hometown discount so the Sabres could afford Peca?

I don't view Hasek has quitting, but rather being brutally honest with a truth Sabres fans didn't (and apparently still don't) want to hear: that team wasn't committed to winning a championship, and he did have to go elsewhere for a better chance.

He got little power-drunk though, wouldn't you say? He and his agent made sure the Sabres didn't get too much in return, because Dom needed every good player on Detroit. Then he showed up at that presser and said he would go into the Hall of Fame as a Red Wing.

The playoff controversy involved his knee.

Probably. But they also gave him 9-10 million dollars a year. Small market, budget-conscious team, he was thus going to be the only superstar. Did Dom offer a hometown discount so the Sabres could afford Peca?

He got little power-drunk though, wouldn't you say? He and his agent made sure the Sabres didn't get too much in return, because Dom needed every good player on Detroit. Then he showed up at that presser and said he would go into the Hall of Fame as a Red Wing.

I really just don't blame him. He didn't want to be here and the Rigases were the reason for it. They had no interest in building a winner.

For someone who regularly crushes Pegula for his drill another well comment, I'm surprised to see you conveniently ignore Rigas' "tools to finish the job" statement. There was no "within reason" or "if our goalie takes less money" (which can't happen anyway once the deal is signed) qualifier attached. It was a straight up promise that was never fulfilled. Heck, they never even tried to provide the rest of the tools.

For someone who regularly crushes Pegula for his drill another well comment, I'm surprised to see you conveniently ignore Rigas' "tools to finish the job" statement. There was no "within reason" or "if our goalie takes less money" (which can't happen anyway once the deal is signed) qualifier attached. It was a straight up promise that was never fulfilled. Heck, they never even tried to provide the rest of the tools.

Was Gilmour not a tool? Dumont? Gratton? Heinze? Audette? Andreychuk? Team payroll went up nine million dollars from the time of Rigas' comment to 2000-2001, when the Sabres were arguably as close to a Cup as they were in '99. I'm not going to totally absolve the Rigases. The Peca holdout was asinine. But I don't think it's fair to say they weren't trying. They were, however, playing with house money.

Was Gilmour not a tool? Dumont? Gratton? Heinze? Audette? Andreychuk? Team payroll went up nine million dollars from the time of Rigas' comment to 2000-2001, when the Sabres were arguably as close to a Cup as they were in '99. I'm not going to totally absolve the Rigases. The Peca holdout was asinine. But I don't think it's fair to say they weren't trying. They were, however, playing with house money.

That's a list of over the hill vets and disappointing young players. Dumont certainly started to turn it around here, but I'd hardly call that list going for it.

So has Rob Ray.

I'm comfortable calling fire with all the smoke. He quit on the team. More than once.

OUT!

Thank you.

I really think time has clouded the memory of some members here. Or, maybe, they are too young to remember that soap operaesque saga.

Bottom line is as great as Hasek was he was a prima donna and a quitter. He quit on the team and the fans. Inexcusable in my books.

Now that JR has been eliminated, or appears to be out, this round I will do all I can to make sure Hasek does not reach the final.

Thank you.

I really think time has clouded the memory of some members here. Or, maybe, they are too young to remember that soap operaesque saga.

Bottom line is as great as Hasek was he was a prima donna and a quitter. He quit on the team and the fans. Inexcusable in my books.

Now that JR has been eliminated, or appears to be out, this round I will do all I can to make sure Hasek does not reach the final.

Who shot him? Sorry.

Who shot him? Sorry.

I did. In the parlour.

:oops:

RJ .........

I am resisting the urge to stuff the ballot box, like in Chicago in the good ol' days.

Paging weave to the *kick the quitter out* thread.

So far, so good, but we will need all the votes against Hasek that we can get.

All that's left is a butt ###### quitter, a guy who never won us anything, and one of his sidekicks/linemates. Who really cares how it ends from here on out.

Obviously, Angry Drunkard does not, or maybe you do.

I see you removed your vote for Rico, which is, in effect, a vote against Hasek. So, good on you.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Obviously, Angry Drunkard does not, or maybe you do.

I see you removed your vote for Rico, which is, in effect, a vote against Hasek. So, good on you.

Yeah I don't care who wins at this point with RJ out. I was originally gonna delete my vote so I could vote everyone out but since the poll format changed so that multiple selections are no longer possible I just decided to abstain at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.