Do they cancel the Sabres/Sharks tomorrow? Nope.

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Sorry if I came across as a douche last night. I would blame the beer, but it was really just me being a douche.

I get it, but I think I'm just wired differently. I've had to step off my front porch onto a boat as my house was filling up with water. I've been in a blizzard and I've been in a hurricane, and while the two aren't even close to being comparable, Ghost made a good point about talking about them while they are going on.

To those with real concerns, I wish you all the best. I hope your family members stay safe and everything works out and you all have great stories to tell.

Sorry if I came across as a douche last night. I would blame the beer, but it was really just me being a douche.

I get it, but I think I'm just wired differently. I've had to step off my front porch onto a boat as my house was filling up with water. I've been in a blizzard and I've been in a hurricane, and while the two aren't even close to being comparable, Ghost made a good point about talking about them while they are going on.

To those with real concerns, I wish you all the best. I hope your family members stay safe and everything works out and you all have great stories to tell.

I love you Swamp...truly do.....and if anyone understands the thriving in chaos phenom...I do. This one is different. I have stories, but lots of people worried and in danger.

Good news is, the worst hit areas are getting a breather for now, but now OP/Hamburg are starting to catch up.

I went through the eye of a Hurricane at 120MPH and said 'd take a blizzard anyday. I am now calling the 2 experiences a Pick'm

For the weather: I'm not a fan, at all. I used to love it as a kid, but now it's just a hassel and the dark is just depressing. Hopefully when I get done with uni I can move south. Only things I'll miss are the sports and my family. Oh and the food.

No family down here, but we do have a great bar called Buffalo Bros that is essentially a colony of Buffalo. Great pizza & wings, beef on weck, Sahlens imported from the old country, Genny Cream & Molson's, and on game day a lot of Buffalo ex-pats.

I keep talking about moving South and all I hear from people is "oh you'll get sick of the heat" etc etc.... But I won't, it's wonderful walking around at 2am in 80 degree weather.

The corollary is that if it's that hot at night, it was probably 107 during the day. And that, my friend, also sucks.

If it were just me, I'd probably move back to Buffalo, especially now being on the upswing as it is. But Fort Worth has its own, different charms and at this point it's home. My wife does much better in the warm weather, I've got a good job and I don't expect we'll move back.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Let's put it this way.....if you and Swamp were Saints fans....and frequented their message board......and you lived in Arkansas....and Swamp lived in Iowa......and when Katrina hit, multiple posters were talking about loved ones stuck in the Superdome and the 3rd Ward.....and then had to listen to people saying..."It's just some water....anyone living under sea level should STFU".....and...."Oh how I'd love to be in New Orleans right now...it's glorious!".....don't you think that's f'd up?

You and Swamp are cool......I don't think you know what the F you are talking about right now. This is the biggest snowfall in the history of the city in a 24 and 36 hour period.

Mocking people at this point is like saying...."Who gives a Sh!t about Wayne Gretzky....the Oilers have tons of Hall of Famers".......

This was the right way to make your point. Not referring, yet again, to unsubstantiated allegations that someone covered up child molestation.

I don't think it is wired differently as much as it is, you are young, healthy, and enjoy a challenge. That isn't atypical.

Obviously, you'd have a different POV if you needed daily inuslin and were waiting on a shipment, or needed 3x/week dialysis treatments, knowing your road won't get plowed until Satruday. Or didn't have the physical capability to dig yourself a path to keep your furnace vent clear.

Update on that last one BTW. Dad is resourceful fecker. His furnace vent is near a basement window. He removed the basement window, bent up some 1/2" copper tubing he had laying around and drilled and bolted an old metal dust pan to the end of the copper, and made a tool that would reach out to the vent and he has been periodically clearing away snow from the vent. He's out of gasoline though with the driveway only partially cleared. Not that he could get anywhere anyway with 6' of snow in the street. And no roof stress noises yet so that is good.

I don't think it is wired differently as much as it is, you are young, healthy, and enjoy a challenge. That isn't atypical.

Obviously, you'd have a different POV if you needed daily inuslin and were waiting on a shipment, or needed 3x/week dialysis treatments, knowing your road won't get plowed until Satruday. Or didn't have the physical capability to dig yourself a path to keep your furnace vent clear.

Update on that last one BTW. Dad is resourceful fecker. His furnace vent is near a basement window. He removed the basement window, bent up some 1/2" copper tubing he had laying around and drilled and bolted an old metal dust pan to the end of the copper, and made a tool that would reach out to the vent and he has been periodically clearing away snow from the vent. He's out of gasoline though with the driveway only partially cleared. Not that he could get anywhere anyway with 6' of snow in the street. And no roof stress noises yet so that is good.

I'd say so! Good on him for channeling his inner MacGyver.

Stay safe everyone with friends and family in the affected areas. Although I grew up in Hamburg all of my family moved to Williamsville / Amherst over the years so they are all thankfully in the clear this time. My parents are starting to get up there in age, so like weave I'd be pretty worried about them dealing with a storm like this.

I'd say so! Good on him for channeling his inner MacGyver.

I asked hiw how he was clearing the snow away. He said he is "shoveling" it with his tool and putting it in the utility sink to get it away from the vent. He's got a sink full of snow int he basement. :lol:

A few things quick.

1. The storm, in and of itself, is awesome. It's impressive. Mother Nature does some really cool stuff. Let me put it this way. If you could have a storm drop 6' of snow but only suffer the problems that come with 6" of snow how would you feel about it?

2. The impacts on life are significant. This is the awful part of this event.

3. People can be insulted by anything. Truth is, if you live in Buffalo you've always been prone to having this kind of snow event. I'll grant that this storm is setting new records for a concentrated snowfall and it may lead to people reclassifying how these are viewed. But think about it.. a Category 5 Hurricane is significant, but something like Katrina, Andrew, etc. are the rarities. Someday we may see a Category 6 Hurricane or something. People who live in areas that are prone to abnormal weather events have to take certain precautions. That said, at some point you end up with this kind of storm, and then you can only do your best. I think the good part of this so far is that unlike a hurricane, people still have their houses to protect them.

4. Imagine if they have overreacted and shutdown the Thruway on Monday night at 9pm. Think about all the times they shut things down and then nothing materializes. I think this justifies those actions. They probably should have been even more cautious by the initial closings.

All the pictures are absolutely amazing. I think the people of the area will have a new found respect for others who are trapped in major events that thoroughly disrupt life. Even being this close I know I have a new appreciation for it.

There is bound to be more damage and more problems, just hoping for the best for everyone there.

The truly amazing thing to me is, ground zero is always the Cheektowaga/W Seneca border into Lancaster. True blizzards like '77 and '85 were regional, but the huge lake effect events of (and I may be off a year here) '92 and '03, and now this one, were all dumping the lions share of their snow on that narrow band centered near the Cheektowaga/W Seneca line. Pretty impressive that the line for 6-7' events in a short period of time is so consistent.

The truly amazing thing to me is, ground zero is always the Cheektowaga/W Seneca border into Lancaster. True blizzards like '77 and '85 were regional, but the huge lake effect events of (and I may be off a year here) '92 and '03, and now this one, were all dumping the lions share of their snow on that narrow band centered near the Cheektowaga/W Seneca line. Pretty impressive that the line for 6-7' events in a short period of time is so consistent.

It makes sense, though. It follows the line of the longest part of Lake Erie, so it is the greatest distance the air has to absorb the most water.

I'd guess that with the lake being relatively narrow at the Buffalo end, you get a situation like this where the wind runs all the way up the lake from Toledo and points right at that area. The other areas don't get the full-length run up when Snowzilla turns on them.

I'd guess that with the lake being relatively narrow at the Buffalo end, you get a situation like this where the wind runs all the way up the lake from Toledo and points right at that area. The other areas don't get the full-length run up when Snowzilla turns on them.

The hills to the south push a lot of the wet air north, when it gets to the flat area around buffalo, it spills out onto land. South Buffalo is on the bad end of a funnel. the good news is the lake will freeze half way through winter and the lake effect will be done. The Tug Hill Plateau on the east end of Lake Ontario doesn't get that mercy.

No family down here, but we do have a great bar called Buffalo Bros that is essentially a colony of Buffalo. Great pizza in wings, beef on weck, Sahlens imported from the old country, Genny Cream & Molson's, and on game day a lot of Buffalo ex-pats.

They actually stuff the wings with pizza?! That's Buffalo-style ingenuity at it's best!

Bad news guys, the Bar Bill was open until today, but they've run out of everything so they have to stay closed.

"We have been beaten...out of everything and no shipments til tomorrow. we are closed today. Thanks to our amazing staff for carrying us through to the end."

I'm in Hamburg, getting absolutely hammered again. Wife and I spent two hours up on our roof last night and got maybe 15% of the snow off. It was only(!) about 2 feet deep on the windward side, but around 4 feet on the leeward side. Very heavy and packed, so it was slow going. I'm glad we got some of it off at least, especially the large masses overhanging the edges.

Today I shoveled a trench from the front of our house to the road, just to give the rain/melt-runoff a place to go this weekend. My large maple tree in my backyard dropped all of its leaves on Monday (it's always the last one in the neighborhood) so my gutters are full of leaves and ice. I'm so ######!ng scared of what's going to happen this weekend. We have a split level so my finished basement is completely subterranean and our TV room is half-subterranean. My sump-pump runs quite a bit even during a normal rainfall/melt, so I can't see how it's going to hold up during this coming sh!tshow.

FFS, I reeeealy don't want to see/hear anybody else say that this is even remotely awesome and they're sad they aren't here. Please.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.