How Competitive Next Year?

Johnny DangerFace

Next Year?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What Place will we finish next year?

• Playoff Team
    • Fight for a playoff spot
    • No Man's Land (not a bottom 5 team but not competing for a playoff spot)
    • Bottom 5 Team
    • Worst Team in Hockey #30

Okay so next year we will have some of the AHL guys ready for full time roles (hopefully), Reinhart ready for a full time role (hopefully, and our 1st round forward ready for a full time role (hopefully). Let's see how competitive this team will be

Ennis - Grigorenko - Armia

Moulson - Reinhart - (2015 Draftee)

Hodgson - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson - Deslauriers

Gorges - Myers

McCabe - Ristolainen

Zadorov - Pysyk

Extra Forwards - Schaller, McCormick

7th D = Mike Weber

If McCabe, Pysyk, and Zadorov are read, this group of defenders is looking way to young. Myers and Gorges may have to be split up to give a veteran presence on multiple lines. Something like Gorges/Ristolainen, McCabe/Myers, Zadorov/Pysyk.

Our forwards are starting to look a little soft again and not being able to hold their own defensively. Hodgson, it may be time for you to go. Not to mention the team is looking way to young, too many rookies is not a great thing. Also, I would really like for Armia and Grigorenko to stay on a line together, and both next year will be old men compared to our other nhl ready prospects.

Gone

Flynn (RFA)

Mitchell (UFA)

Benoit (UFA)

Meszaros (UFA)

Stafford (UFA)

Stewart (UFA)

Kaleta (UFA)

Also what can they do to improve? I think there isn't much doubt Grigorenko and Pysyk should make the team. Armia, Larsson, Schaller, and McCabe have to be close too. And who knows what to do with Zadorov. So with all those young players, what do you do? Keep some in the AHL to over-ripe and keep a staffor or Stewart for a few years?

Edited by Numark

Okay so next year we will have some of the AHL guys ready for full time roles (hopefully), Reinhart ready for a full time role (hopefully, and our 1st round forward ready for a full time role (hopefully). Let's see how competitive this team will be

Ennis - Grigorenko - Armia

Moulson - Reinhart - (2015 Draftee)

Hodgson - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - Larsson - Deslauriers

Gorges - Myers

McCabe - Ristolainen

Zadorov - Pysyk

Extra Forwards - Schaller, McCormick

7th D = Mike Weber

If McCabe, Pysyk, and Zadorov are read, this group of defenders is looking way to young. Myers and Gorges may have to be split up to give a veteran presence on multiple lines. Something like Gorges/Ristolainen, McCabe/Myers, Zadorov/Pysyk.

Our forwards are starting to look a little soft again and not being able to hold their own defensively. Hodgson, it may be time for you to go. Not to mention the team is looking way to young, too many rookies is not a great thing. Also, I would really like for Armia and Grigorenko to stay on a line together, and both next year will be old men compared to our other nhl ready prospects.

Gone

Flynn (RFA)

Mitchell (UFA)

Benoit (UFA)

Meszaros (UFA)

Stafford (UFA)

Stewart (UFA)

Kaleta (UFA)

Also what can they do to improve? I think there isn't much doubt Grigorenko and Pysyk should make the team. Armia, Larsson, Schaller, and McCabe have to be close too. And who knows what to do with Zadorov. So with all those young players, what do you do? Keep some in the AHL to over-ripe and keep a staffor or Stewart for a few years?

I'd put this in the lack of scoring thread a couple of days ago.

Hold steady and get 1/2 of McEichel, bring back Ehrhoff (or an Ehrhoff-type) in FA, and pick up a better goalie in FA and while next year isn't great (or even good) it could be close to a playoff team and should be able to score at least 2/night:

Moulson - McEichel - Ennis

Hodgson - Grigorenko - Armia

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson- McCormick

Ehrhoff - Ristolainen

Gorges - Myers

??? - Pysyk

???

Enroth/ Neuvirth

Spares:Weber, Flynn, ???

I'd expect TM to upgrade a couple of those spots as well via trade.  If someone that could play RW w/ Moulson and McEichel could be brought in then Ennis could take Hodgson's spot, Hodgson take Foligno's spot, and Foligno take McCormick's.  I wouldn't hate that lineup next year and would like it in '16-'17 w/ Reinhart joining the mix.

Entertaining at least. As much as I'm pro tank, it will be nice to finally talk about positive things on the ice for the first time in 2 years

Once we get McDavid or Eichel, i am sure everyone will be onboard to winning too. I don't think it'll happen next season but i also don't think we'll see much "tank" talk if we pick top-2 this year.

Once we get McDavid or Eichel, i am sure everyone will be onboard to winning too. I don't think it'll happen next season but i also don't think we'll see much "tank" talk if we pick top-2 this year.

Even if they somehow miss out on all 3 of the big three the tank is done on April 12. Nowhere to go but up. That's the time to convert potential into tangibles.

Even if we don't land McEichel the tank is over as far as I'm concerned. We're taking our shot at the top end talent for two years and once the chips fall where they may that era of Sabres hockey is in the history books.

Moulson - McEichel - Ennis

Hodgson - Grigorenko - Armia

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Deslauriers - Larsson- McCormick

Ehrhoff - Ristolainen

Gorges - Myers

??? - Pysyk

???

Enroth/ Neuvirth

Spares:Weber, Flynn, ???

You lost me at Ehrhoff. When we bought him out, Murray said Ehrhoff having no desire to remain with Buffalo was a huge factor in buying him out.

You lost me at Ehrhoff. When we bought him out, Murray said Ehrhoff having no desire to remain with Buffalo was a huge factor in buying him out.

I don't think they can bring him back anyway, but I agree. I can totally understand the guy not wanting to be here for the bad years in a rebuild. But that means you miss out on the good ones, too. As much as I like him as a player, that's just the way it works, as far as I'm concerned.

Thus the qualifyer "or an Ehrhoff type" in the text above the lineup. They don't need him per se but they do need someone to fill that role.

Even if we don't land McEichel the tank is over as far as I'm concerned. We're taking our shot at the top end talent for two years and once the chips fall where they may that era of Sabres hockey is in the history books.

Even if they somehow miss out on all 3 of the big three the tank is done on April 12. Nowhere to go but up. That's the time to convert potential into tangibles.

I agree. I was responding to the poster who said he wanted the fresh air of just pure hockey talk, not just constant tank talk. I think if we don't land McDavid or Eichel, many fans will still be hoping for another high pick. It'll split the fan base in two. As far as the team is concerned, i agree, this is it for the tank.

I agree. I was responding to the poster who said he wanted the fresh air of just pure hockey talk, not just constant tank talk. I think if we don't land McDavid or Eichel, many fans will still be hoping for another high pick. It'll split the fan base in two. As far as the team is concerned, i agree, this is it for the tank.

Whether they're hoping for it or not, a top 10 pick is extremely likely w/out McEichel and top 15 is extremely likely even w/ a part of him.

I agree with this. Although, if we don't get either half, I wouldn't be shocked to see us drafting top-5 for a third time...it just wouldn't be intentional.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.